• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Must...have...cure.....for this......FEVER!!!

BigMF

Hi. About 10 years ago I had a small bout of the "fever" after coming in contact with a friend who had contracted it after purchasing a high end Fever-Inducer. That so called friend infected me by loaning me the Fever-Inducer with which I gladly spent quite a bit of time with and some good memories ensued although we never became "intimate". Somehow time and the lack of funds to properly control it made the "fever" become dormant (not go away mind you). Now a decade later while browsing at a garage sale, I see propped up in the corner a familiar looking gadget. I slowly approached as the memories flooded in. As I got closer I started to sweat, my hands cramped, and my back stiffened with the rush of 10 year old memories. When my eyes focused I saw however that this was only a mere shell of that long ago Love.  In fact, it was a Radio Shack Discovery 3000. As my heart stopped pounding, I realized hey, I've been looking for a MD forever and here is one that surely will be priced right (yeah it's probably a junker from RS but its better than the nothing I have now) So I check my wallet to see if I have anywhere near the 40-50 bucks I expected they would ask for it and I asked "How Much"? To my surprise the guy says "2 bucks" WHAT?!, Does it work?, What's wrong with it? Works great he says, just needs batteries. I figure what the heck I'll give it a shot. I took it home and popped in a couple of fresh 9 volts, turn it on and BINGO, it works! I have since scanned my back yard to discover that my kids apparently have no use for mere coins since I have found dozens in my yard alone. I now have a full blown case of the "Fever" once again and although this MD is finding stuff, it seems to be erratic so I want more. I want to....UPGRADE! I'm pretty good at researching on the internet, reading books, whatever I can get my hands on, but boy, trying to figure out which MD to go with is driving me nuts. Just as I think I've figured it out, I read something or hear something that knocks the one I want and praises something else. Here's what I want.....I live in Oklahoma, in the city. I probably won't do much travelling very far out of the city most days. So, I'm stuck with urban hunting sites for the most part although a trip to a small town or some deserted locale or abandoned old farmhouse is not out of the question. No gold here so I won't be prospecting. Mostly hunting coins, jewelry, a hidden cache (if I'm lucky). After using the Discovery and dealing with the things it doesn't have, I know I want Target ID, Depth indicator, Discrimination, and a back lit display for possible nighttime hunting. I'm a big guy (6'6") so I need something that will extend adequately. I want to upgrade to something in the middle to upper range that will be enough for me to continue to grow in the hobby without wanting to upgrade again in a couple of months. Any suggestions or thoughts? Thanks for reading through my long-windedness.

Mike

if thats working for now, I would stay with it. Learn its abilities. I use a whites 5500d, series 3 . 24 years old and I wouldnt part with it. Lot of good peeps in here. They will hook you up with the right one for your budget.

At 6' 6" if you would have said, You want HOW MUCH for that thing, he probably would have given it to you. :lol: Good luck and it will work as good as any.
pop

"I have a fever, & the only prescription is...MORE COWBELL!"

sorry...can't resist a Chris Walken quote opportunity :P

(tho you COULD dig up a cowbell, I suppose..)

Back
Top Bottom