Bounty Hunter 3300 Beach Hunting

XLT

Hello,

Have just picked up my 3300 (today) from Radio Shack and looking for some feedback on how this metal detector is on sand?

I am going down to the shore in a couple of weeks and had thought about buying a metal detector and after hearing about the sale on this unit I could not pass it up.

I use to hunt with a Whites XLT but sold the unit couple of years ago after not using it much.

Thanks in advance!

I'm sure it will do ok on the dry stuff but I wouldn't take it near the wet, probably too much falsing.

XLT - I hope to go this weekend to a beach near my house. I'll post back here and let you know. So far I have done great in sand at tot lots! :grin:

Jeff- do you have to hunt in all metal mode to get the ground balancing to work? Or will it still ground balance with the iron descrinmated? :?:

Salt minerals are different than iron ground minerals . Many detectors cannot compensate well enough to get the detector to a stable situation. This is why many lower end detectors will not work in wet salt sand. The fact that they only have preset or non-manual or no ground tracking abilities makes them difficult to compensate. The 3300 has adjustable ground balance in the pinpoint mode only which is a true all metal mode . Depending on the beach you take it to will determine whether or not it will work well there. I'd try to adjust the GB in the pinpoint mode to see if it will compensate for the conditions. I would be curious to hear how you do with it in the dry and wet sand conditions. :yes:

Thanks for the advice I know I should not expect too much with this unit on the beach. I know if I get serious about the beach hunting again I will be spending a few more dollars. :yes:

FelixtheCat Looking forward to hearing your results with this.

Well Virginia Beach has a lot of black sand and I just got back from using my 3300 there. The preset ground balance worked pretty good on dry sand at sensitity 4 or less. It would target ID great to about 4 inches then from 4-6 it would beep but you didn't know for sure what you would dig. I did get a quarter at 7 inches but only once. On the wet sand if I played with the ground balance a bit and sensetiviy to about 3 it worked ok. The depth was a lot less and still a lot of false iron 1-2

Im going down to the outer banks sunday for 4 days. Gonna bring both detectors with me, so hopefully i can get one of them to perform.

Wonder if the 5x10 dd coil for the GTI will get me on the wet sand?

Just picked up the 3300 today.
Wanted to see what all the fuss was about but will use it only as coinshooting in parks. No fresh/salt water hunting for that machine!  :shock:

jeff@middlesex said:
do you use the salt elimination mode?

This will be my first MD trip to the beach, actually i havent even seen the beach since 1986.

Does the salt elimination mode work or is it a gimmick?

Back
Top Bottom