• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

deep targets?

Steeler1

Hi,

I a really starting to like my MXT allot finally. After weeks of experimenting and digging up 500,000 pulltabs, I am finally getting in tune with what it's telling me. 

Only one problem.  I am missing allot of deeper targets. I am having trouble telling the difference between a nice deep target, and normal ground noise, chirps, etc. The easy sounds are the loud, shallow depth targets.  But I am looking for advice on how to tell the deeper ones.

I am thinking that me running in silent mode might help? Would that help, or are there disadvantages to doing this?

Thanks for any tips. 

If you have the sensativity too high you'll get the false signals. If it "chirps" at you and you go back over the spot and nothing it was a false one. Lower the sensativity until the detector runs smoothly all the time.

Steeler....

Sometimes we have to dig all the junk to hear the deeper targets with our detectors... My partner and I have hunted 1 dirt site 30 times and it was cherry picked over the years by  others leaving only dime/penny sized coins but by digging all the trash out all that is left is the whispers of deep targets. average depth is over 8 inches. I wouldn't run silent mode even though I can't stand the threshold noise, I think you will lose the deeper targets.

I agree don't run in silent mode. Run your threshold at just a whisper. This will give you more sensitivity. I used to set my threshold by holding the machine up to my ear while in the house. Then just leave it there. Deep signals sound just like regular ones, only very very quiet and a small footprint. The trouble with finding those deep signals. In order to understand what they are like you have to dig one. Once you have one under your belt, the flood gates of deep whisper signals will come. But hearing is believing and part of the learning.

Steeler, Glad to hear you are getting the hang of your MXT.
To go after the real deep ones, you shouldn't run in "silent" mode. There is just too little energy in the signal to overcome the lack of threshold sound. Instead, you need to be able to hear the threshold, real faint like.

The real deep ones will" whisper" to you. What's a "whisper"?

Depending on your ground and target depth, it will be a repeatable, momentary increase in the threshold volume, or a momentary null. (The VDI scale is like a wheel, with +95 and -95 butted together). The VDI read by the detector will be shifted and good, deep targets may appear as if they were ferrous, causing a nulling of the audio.

I was going to ask this same question. I keep hearing and reading about these "faint whispers" that you are supposed to get from deeper targets but I've never heard one of these whipsers from my machine. All the beeps seem to be the same volume to me,although some are broken up. What am I missing here? I don't mean to hi-jack the post but I figured since we're on the same subject.....

Okay your classic only runs in silent search or no threshold. I have found deep targets with that model. Again it comes down to being able to pick that sound out of the chatter as your swinging over targets. That is sort of the beauty in todays new tone ID metal detectors. It would register a tone even a faint one for a deep signal. You just have to work at it and listen hard. I hope your using headphones. :yes:

Steeler... Down the road a test garden is a good idea but you really need to let it age before using it.. it needs to go through frost heaves and settling before using it....

Yes... You a need a spot devoid of any junk and then go for it and make one but you won't get the same results as you would if you let it age...

The tough part is pulling that quiet deep tone out of all the other noise. Any machine that talks to you when you hunt or is set to click and clack and make noise over the bad targets and not completely silence them. Is a machine that will pull the deep ones out of the void.

Sounds like relic mode is the way to go. Be sure you lock your ground balance so as not to track out any deep quiet signals. The 4x6DD coil seems to be the most popular small coil. Good luck, sounds like your getting it done!! :yes:

Hey Steeler,

Glad to hear you have started mastering the MXT. It's a great
machine once you get the hang of it. ;)

I'm almost always in the +gain range. With the boosted audio can a whisper be heard? Rob

Back
Top Bottom