Erratic readings at detector site

srichardson

Hello,
I have an ACE 400 and was using it yesterday for about and hour. It was working great. After searching one site, I moved down the road to another site. When I turned the unit on and started sweeping it began beeping and the numbers were going crazy. I moved to different areas with the same results. I tried changing the frequency , but it didn't help. There were no power lines around, or anything that I could see that would cause interference. I thought the unit was having a electrical problem. Once I got home and turned it on it worked fine.. Just curious to know what could have caused it to do that..

Thanks,
Steve

Hello,
I have an ACE 400 and was using it yesterday for about and hour. It was working great. After searching one site, I moved down the road to another site. When I turned the unit on and started sweeping it began beeping and the numbers were going crazy. I moved to different areas with the same results. I tried changing the frequency , but it didn't help. There were no power lines around, or anything that I could see that would cause interference. I thought the unit was having a electrical problem. Once I got home and turned it on it worked fine.. Just curious to know what could have caused it to do that..

Thanks,
Steve

I have a sight like that..
I don't know the answer either but the Soil makeup seems "different" than most places around here.. I am wondering if it is the fertilizer they use or the base they used for the sod.. all I know is I wish I could get around it.. lowering the sensitivity and changing the frequency helps but still fairly erratic and I KNOW I am missing stuff.

Could be mineralization in the soil. could be coal/coke all over. could be other type of hot rocks. hard to say

Certainly sounds like EMI. Could be buried cables, cell tower, wifi, etc.
Try it again on a weekend, early morning. Sometimes the time of day makes a difference.

Gauntlet, Budaf250 It is a parking area for hiking trails near a river..

Mikey48, This was on the weekend..

Reason i'd asked, and I've never run in to it, is I've heard others mention some ball fields covering the ground with a fencing/fabric to prevent digging (I guess of critters and humans).

Be sure the coil cable connector is screwed snug into the control housing. Also, I run the cable straight up the shaft for about 12-14" above the coil, secure it a few velcro ties, then wrap it around the remainder of the way.

Edited to add: Bumping the coil into things (even weeds) can sometimes cause falsing.

As mentioned, ground mineralization could be a possibility, as could a bad coil. See if you can find someone fairly local to you and ask about ground balance issues.

If it’s going nuts while the coil is standing still then it’s likely EMI from something you can’t see. If it’s only while the coil is moving it could be contaminated/electrified in some way ground.
I have a few sites like you describe...unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom