Best detector for about $200?

Donneybrook

Elite Member
What is the best detector for about $200? Would the Garret Ace 250 be worth it for about $215? Any other detectors in that range i should consider? Thanks :)

Myself, like many others, went with the Fisher F2. There’s a terribly big long thread about it here started by respected member DIGGER27, and it alone convinced me it was a great machine.

Terribly big long thread here

After I got mine and used it a while, I wrote my own glowing review for Yahoo. Although the Fisher F2 is considered a beginner detector, it can *definitely* find the good stuff. DIGGER27 has a whole slew of gold rings nabbed by his F2, and I found a 1944 Walking Liberty half dollar at a ball park.

My glowing review on Yahoo here

If you have more money than about $200 to spend on a metal detector, I’d check into the Fisher F5 or the AT Pro by Garrett--both are doing well out there. If a screen/numbers/bells and whistles aren’t important to you, check out the Tesoro line. The Vaquero is very popular, lightweight, and DEEP. Real deep. Too deep, some say. :D

A great review site for the Tesoro Vaquero here:

A great Tesoro Vaquero review site

Welcome to the forum! :)

What is the best detector for about $200? Would the Garret Ace 250 be worth it for about $215? Any other detectors in that range i should consider? Thanks :)

I heard the Fisher F2 is better for relic and iron infested sites because of the small coil for target separation… not sure how much it costs but I know it's similar cost to an Ace 250

I absolutey love my Ace-it's very versatile and easy to adjust. If you wanna GREAT detector and heavy trash isn't too big an issue-the Compadre is simply underrated and would save you money-and at the same time pay for itself in no time. I realize there's not too many Tesoro users on this forum:laughing::laughing:, but it (and the Ace, also) have paid for themselves.
Oops. Almost forgot-the sniper coil on the Ace totally transforms the Ace into a coin, ring,etc. MONSTER!

If I were gonna spend $200 I think I would go with a eurotek pro. The iron audio feature alone would make me pick it over an ace or f2(which I own). sent you a pm......

The Teknetics EuroTek Pro is a very good detector in that price range. Give me a shout if you have any questions about them or want a price on one.

The Ace, F2 and Euro are good detectors. I personally use the F2 and really enjoy it. I would recommend watching YouTube videos of each detector in use and also listen to the tones they produce.

What machines have you had in the past. But if your a newbie and if this machine was for u than I would go with the f2.Delta 4000.

I Like the Ace 250 as I can just set it and go without paying much attention to the screen. I can go days on 4 AA batteries. The F2 may be a good option also but it seems you have to pay more attention to the screen and audio.

The F2 may be a good option also but it seems you have to pay more attention to the screen and audio.

No not really, once you get a feel for the tones, you really dont even have to look at the screen to see what the tones are telling you. The screen is just another tool to help you figure out what the target could be (remember no detector is 100% correct all the time)

Thx everyone. I'm mostly just very sick of digging loads of iron and want to get down to buisness!

No not really, once you get a feel for the tones, you really dont even have to look at the screen to see what the tones are telling you. The screen is just another tool to help you figure out what the target could be (remember no detector is 100% correct all the time)

I would probably like the F2 also in that case. I mostly hunt lots and yards and like to just go at it and cover ground but want to feel pretty confident I am not missing anything. I realize there would be different settings for different areas. I set my Ace in custom mode and use the nickle/gold and the top 5 notches.

I purchased my pioneer 505 for $199 new and I've pulled tons of silver coins out of the ground (war nickel, merc & rosie dimes) including a 1773 spanish half reale that was under neath a pine root about 8-10 inches deep. I have found enough clad to pay for the machine and have even found several rings. I don't hear much talk about this detector on here often but it is very very good for the $200 price range. My girlfriend even loves it and has found several silver coins with it as well.

Back
Top Bottom