How long does it take to get used to the signals

In about six weeks I had my MXT down pretty good. It helps to hit a really trashy area and work it hard. You'll learn your machine pretty quick that way.

It can also take a lot longer !

It's a case of keep practising, it will come eventually. With some machines it can be a steep learning curve, especially on some of the more complex models.

What are you using !

Keep it low, keep it slow ;)

I use just a cheap Viking vk10
I have only just started to learn about this hobby hence the questions
Didn't even know i needed a licence in England
Never used it past the back garden in england anyway

ACANTHUS said:
I use just a cheap Viking vk10
I have only just started to learn about this hobby hence the questions
Didn't even know i needed a licence in England
Never used it past the back garden in england anyway

Nothing wrong with a Viking, I think they're made not far from me.

I was refering to France, where you need a permit. (so I'm told )

I see you've answered this on another thread ;)

If you need a license to watch TV in England, I bet the one for detecting is pretty expensive! 8)

hi all im the same with sounds at the moment i dig everything but try to guess what it is first mind u i do have an lcd screen and find that helps worst ones for me are ring pulls they just the same as pound coin

You might make yourself a target garden. This way you can practice on the things you have buried and learn the different sounds and you know what you buried in that spot. I made one and it really helped a lot. Once you learn the different sounds your machine is making, bury the items again at a different depth to aid you in setting up your machine for those deeper targets.

DIG !!!!

ACANTHUS said:
of your detectors
i am finding it hard to discern between anything i just keep digging junk

I dig junk all the time. I think this is what metal detecting is about : digging "just to make sure", 'cause one NEVER knows. But digging where I am hunting (the beaches) is NOT too difficult, hahahaha !

BOB VALDEZ, Belgium (NOT digging, for the moment...)

Discerning signals

What I don't understand myself is when I'm swinging (on the ground), and I get beeps for cents, quarters, etc., several times, then I turn on the all metal mode to find the target, and the lcd readout goes to the very first icon, which is a nail! What the heck is up with that, and why does this happen? Also, yesterday it showed cents, or Zcents, and it turned out to be (twice) a square, bent piece of aluminum siding in my back yard.
Scrltt641

Back
Top Bottom