One Direction: What Does It Mean?

Nicholas West

Hi all - what does it mean when you get a target response from the MD when you swing the coil in one direction, and then get nothing when you swing the coil in the opposite direction over the exact same spot?

I'm kind of new to this, and I find this particular thing extremely puzzling and frustrating. Is there a particular meaning to a target response on only one direction of the coil swing? Any thoughts on the matter would be deeply interesting !

Using a Fisher F44 with an 11" oval coil working on pretty trashy iron-laden ground.

Thank you Jason! That is HIGHLY likely where I am working. Does that mean a piece of rusty old iron masquerading as a higher conductivity metal, thus a "false hit"?

Hi all - what does it mean when you get a target response from the MD when you swing the coil in one direction, and then get nothing when you swing the coil in the opposite direction over the exact same spot?

I'm kind of new to this, and I find this particular thing extremely puzzling and frustrating. Is there a particular meaning to a target response on only one direction of the coil swing? Any thoughts on the matter would be deeply interesting !

Using a Fisher F44 with an 11" oval coil working on pretty trashy iron-laden ground.

Maybe the target is masked in one direction. If there is a discriminated tone up, and above to the right of a desireable object, it might not give a target response from that direction. I think this is why I can usually find additional desirable targets in an area I have searched before, just by searching the area from an other angle. If I really like an area, I will first detect it only digging desirable targets that repeat from all angles. If the finds are indicative of a good spot, I will detect from an other direction looking for signals that might just repeat from one direction. If it is an area that has been heavily detected over the years, sometimes those types of signals are all that remain.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom