How Much Do Headphones Help?

Some of you might want to consider sliding one ear cup off an ear of you're concerned with your surroundings. Heck, you can even swap back and forth.

Because there's 2 ear cups, they still work with only one ear covered :yes:

Depends on where I'm at. If at the beach, those noisy Lake Michigan breakers are soooo noisy you can't hear anything without phones. Other times like in the woods or at a totlot/playground I may not use headphones. I've altered my phones so only one side works so I can hear what's going on around me for security reasons.

"Whoops"! I've driven about 25 miles and realize I've forgotten my drivers license, credit cards and cell phone. "No big deal" I say, and I keep right on driving toward a day of metal detecting.
"Whoops"! I've driven about 50 miles and realize I've forgotten my headphones or my pin pointer. "What the Hey"! I say while spinning the quickest "U"ie imaginable and racing back home to retrieve my goodies.
And, regarding wanting to hear things beyond the headsets.......Never a problem with the Garrett stock headsets.

AT Pro/GPP-AT/$9.98 ebay digger

Detector Pro has a model of headphones called the rattler. It leaves one ear exposed so you can hear a rattlesnakes warning. One less thing to think about.

After more detecting without headphones in windy conditions and crunchy leaves, i can see the benefit of using them. I am starting to hone in on those very quiet tones, so I can see how they would help to not miss those. Thanks for all of the replies!

Recently I've been starting to wear headphones at the beach, especially when I'm hunting in the wet sand so I don't hear the waves as much. At parks I don't wear headphones of any kind, I don't want to get ambushed by anyone lol

Little update on this older thread. I've put a lot more hours on my ATP. About a week ago I was hunting near an old tobacco barn and heard a very faint, but repeatable high tone. I dug and dug and finally found a wheat penny at a depth of about 10" - a little deeper then the Garrett carrot (deepest coin to date). I was not using headphones, but if it had been windy or if I was near a road, I would have not heard it. I think I get it now!

Seldom use any of my three pairs of headphones including the Sunray Golds. I much prefer earbuds either wired or wireless.

My expensive wired Shure's sound great and the Sky Wing Aptx LL M78 I use with the NOX are fine.

Much cooler in the summer and can use any head gear. Much warmer in the winter with stocking cap and hoods.

Is this relevant to a guy that has the ACE 200? All the sounds my detector makes are the same volume. I'm guessing this has to do with pulse induction vs VLF?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

I no expert, but your ACE has does not have proportional audio like the At pro. So, it doesn't matter how deep the target is, the sound is at the same level. I had the ACE 400 at first, the switched to the ATP which has quieter tones the deeper the target is. The really deep ones are like a soft whisper, while the ACE is loud.
Is this relevant to a guy that has the ACE 200? All the sounds my detector makes are the same volume. I'm guessing this has to do with pulse induction vs VLF?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom