F75 ltd settings question

CJW

Does anyone have any ideas for settings to use near old mining towns since there is a lot of minerals and hot rocks. I just got the detector and most of my hunting is in areas like that.

Main thing
Don't use BP process- doesn't perform well in higher mineral.
Use de or Je processes.

If your F75 has a FA process, you can try it too in a polluted site, depth limited though.

A few ways you can do this.
Disc 6 and Monotone is Dankowski's suggestion for hunting in iron and it works in mineralization pretty well also.
Others use 3 tones, 0 disc and listen for that good, repeating solid sounding higher tone, or lower tone for some targets like nickels.
I use something I call the blast through method for hunting in difficult sites like this.
Works great in iron oxide mineralization or sites with a ton of iron which you might have there, other kinds of minerals I don't know but both these methods might work well in other places too.
If it is iron you are dealing with these units will up average all targets around that so be aware of this.
Hot rocks can sound real nice and I deal with them all the time along with red clay mineralized dirt but most of them will generally act like iron where they might stay high but ultimately will drop down low on some passes or if you turn and hit them from a 90 degree angle.
Coins and good target usually will stay in the higher ranges for me with few if no drops low from any direction.

That blast through process takes some time to learn and get used to but worth the effort and the best way I have learned to pick out masked targets in challenging sites.

Use your all metal setting where you can control the threshold then max out both the gain and thresh.
Listen to the tone but watch the screen closely.
You can try boost but DE is faster and better for picking though junk, move the coil very slow, look a range of numbers that stay high on most passes, that range can be from 5-8 numbers.
If the numbers drop a lot probably not a good target.
Use your pinpointing function to make sure the spot you are swinging over is where the target is and not repeating falsing from iron or other garbage in the vicinity that might be near but not even under your coil.
If you have the spot with that repeating range on short quick passes turn and hit it again and if you get the same behavior without much dropping dig that signal.
The hardest part about his is training your brain to notice that block of higher repeating numbers when you pass over a good target because in all metal you will see and hear everything and things can happen real quick.

Many use all kinds of ways to do this but after I put in the effort to learn this method it has given me the greatest amount if success in many different sites for the last few years but others use different methods entirely.

More about this method in this thread plus info about up averaging around iron.
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?37,2322233,page=1

Thanks, I'm going to give those settings a try this evening. It can be a real pain to find good targets in the old coal mining towns that I often hunt. Hot rocks like to drive me crazy, dig to find that nothing is there.

Digger27, the blast through method worked good in my back yard that has a lot of nail from house projects and a lot of slag. Found a heart shaped necklace a modern dime and penny and a wheat penny all in a 5x5 area that I've hit with my other detectors many times, but my experimenting came to a quick end when my wife came home and caught me digging holes in the yard.

Digger27, the blast through method worked good in my back yard that has a lot of nail from house projects and a lot of slag. Found a heart shaped necklace a modern dime and penny and a wheat penny all in a 5x5 area that I've hit with my other detectors many times, but my experimenting came to a quick end when my wife came home and caught me digging holes in the yard.

Glad I could help.
It took awhile to me to get good at noticing the better signals in the wall of noise I was seeing and hearing but eventually I mastered it.
To find things first time out using it tells me you got some great skills because my first time in an insane iron infested site all it did was confuse me.
One of the most helpful skills I have ever learned in this hobby and it works in extreme iron, heavy mineralization and heavy trash...or combinations of all three.
Even easier in better soil with less trash.

About that wife, hope she cooks good because she just doesn't seem to understand the importance of practice makes perfect in this hobby.

Back
Top Bottom