Strange DFX signals

Cherry Picker

Forum Supporter
Last night while detecting at my old grade school I kept getting some strange signals. On mt DFX it would sound off solid and in the 84-88 VDI range on each sweep but when I went to pinpoint I'd get nothing. I repeated it many times with the same results.

The signal was solid enough that I would have expected it to be a good target but because I could not pinpoint I didn't dig.

Could electrical lines being buried caused this? The signal seemed to run in a line. Maybe the signal was strong but the lines were too deep too pinpoint? I've noticed my motion/discrimination mode seems to go much deeper than all metal mode.

Re: Strange signals

Could be slag. Same thing happened to me, shoot---dig---nothing. try running the dirt a handfull at a time past your coil, if it's slag, you will find it.

The first thing I would have tried would be to turn up the DC Sensitivity which determines the strength of the pinpoint signal. Just maybe the AC was picking up the target but the DC wasn't high enough to see it.

I had an incident of finding a live wire about a foot down that was once connected to a floodlight. My machine went nuts!! The wire had been cut but the circut was still turned on. When I see straight line signals, I exercise caution.

Since the DFX is so powerfull, I would think you would want to turn the sensitivity down. Keep turning it down If you still get a real strong signal with it very low the power line theory would make sense. It just seems that if the sensitivity was too high on a target with power running through it that the more sensitivity would cause more erratic readings.

Back
Top Bottom