• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Ace250....Sensitivity setting....Which one ?

ToddB64

Elite Member
Aaron's (local_coins) post of April 21, 2006, titled
"Ace250  Depth Tests" caused me to ponder the
relationship between the Ace's  sensitivity settings
and depth-indication scale. (See our forum board :
Detectors and Gear and forum "How to Use
Your Metal Detector".)

The purpose of these Depth Tests, as Aaron explained to me, was "to see how each reduction in
sensitivity (From 8 max. to 1 min.) affected my depth." He included a very nice chart showing results
of tests.

I wanted to refresh myself on what Garrett had to say about Sensitivity in the Ace Owner's Manual.
On page 10 the manual states "Use higher sensitivity
levels when searching for very small or very deep targets. Use lower sensitivity levels in locations where the detector is behaving erratically due to excessive metallic trash interference, high mineral soils, salt water beaches, or other metal detectors are present."

I read a post somewhere in FMD forums quite awhile
back that said the user always ran 8-bars max., and
only reduced it if there was excessive interference.
Others have settled on 5-bars as a regular setting.

My question follows: While we can speculate on what
type of targets there might be in certain areas and at what depth these targets should be, we really
don't know (type or depth) for sure, unless we have previously worked over every inch of a particular search area......and I doubt that anyone of
us could make this claim in all honesty. So, wouldn't
it be best to begin each THing session with sensitivity
set at the max. 8-bars and only reduce if necessary
due to interference, erratic operation of the machine,
etc., etc.?  Who knows, that special find could be just
below a sensitivity setting of, for example, 5-bars
and you walk right over it !! :shock:

Advice and opinions are welcome ! :grin:

ToddB64
Ace250

Hi Todd good post as the sensitivity is something im trying to get to grips with i got a gti 1500 and its much more sensitive than my old gtx 500 ive started using it on 9 which is factory settings but take yesterday for example went on ploughed land and the signals i were getting on my screen were deep 12 inches or more so dug some even after going down the length of the spade putting the coil in the hole reading was still 12 inches in the end i give up as it was not a high signal anyway also i get a high signal constant 7 or 8 but then after ive dug changes to 1 that frustrates me ive tried sweeping from diff directions before i dig irealise its a learning curve thats why im going out today with sense set at 5 but in the back of my head i,ll be wondering have i missed something
cheers
Paul

I think it all comes down to personal preference, type of hunt, and proficiency.

I am very new to MDs and have only tried to turn up the Sensitivity a couple times. But feel that it starts to find more trash and since i am still learning what good tones are hearing the machine beeping at any little metal that it thinks is a good target, well gets in the way of learning for me.

Another way i judge my settings is if its in a woodchip Tot Lot there is that gardeners blanket stuff about 4-6 inches deep. so why search deeper if you have to do damage to get to it.

I am hoping to get onto the beach soon and i am sure i will turn it up to max and then back it off if it gets squirrelly. But sand is easier diggin too so a few more trash signals isn't so bad.

So i am overall in saying as i get better with my machine the sensitivity will go up on overall useage.

Thanks, Jay

I use 5-bars because I know that (from my own depth tests) I can detect a penny at 6" with sensitivity set at 4-bars and 6" is deep enough to dig in this hard Texas clay...Bob

I agree, absolutely.
Run the sensitivity as high as practical for any given situation, up to and including the max.
I have done so successfully at a number of locations.
The only things that should cause one to fall back are:

* Machine falsing/flaking out. This can be due to ground mineralization, lots of trash, electrical interference, or any combination of the above.
* Close proximity to large metal objects [fences/poles/bars/aluminum siding] Note: If your hunting in coin mode, alot of fences will not cause any interference.
* As Bob pointed out, tough soil conditions where digging lots of deeper holes is not practicle.

Xray said:
I agree, absolutely.
Run the sensitivity as high as practical for any given situation, up to and including the max.
I have done so successfully at a number of locations.
The only things that should cause one to fall back are:

* Machine falsing/flaking out. This can be due to ground mineralization, lots of trash, electrical interference, or any combination of the above.
* Close proximity to large metal objects [fences/poles/bars/aluminum siding] Note: If your hunting in coin mode, alot of fences will not cause any interference.
* As Bob pointed out, tough soil conditions where digging lots of deeper holes is not practicle.

Thanks  X-Ray, for the help on this sensitive subject !   ;)

ToddB64
Ace250

user18 said:
My soil type here is really mineralized and I haven't found any place I can run the sensitivity over 4-5 bars without falsing all over the place. I think it really depends on your soil type and how much trash your location has.

Thanks  Epi-hunter, for your reply on this. I've been using 4-5
bars myself. But, after reading Aaron's (Local_Coins) post I
began to wonder if I should be starting out at max. sensitivity.
I understand now, after reading your and X-Ray's replies, how
to approach the sensitivity issue.

ToddB64 :grin:
Ace250

If your in a very clean area and the soil is easy to dig you might use max. If your hitting an area that you know has had other metal detector users at it you can try. I have seen at least 2 other guys at a school I hit once in a while and I went to max and found a few dimes and weaties they missed. Lucky for me they had dug up most of the trash first. I watched the one guy and he looks like he is walking very fast and swings his detector in wide sweeps. I didn't see what model detector he had but I know it was a White's of some kind.

No matter what detector, I can't see why you wouldn't start at Max and adjust down as needed.

Thanks "Stainles Steal/Rat" and "rcasi44" for replies on the subject.

I've been off-line for awhile, due to computer equipment failure.
Had to go out and buy a whole new set-up and it has taken us some time to get it up and running.  :mad:

Been real busy on my place with outside work and havn't had time to
go THing with the Ace lately.   :o(    Hope to get out soon !

ToddB64
Ace250

Back
Top Bottom