• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

new F-2 question

twobeeps

Hello, and good day; I had a basic question, concerning my F-2. I used it one time after reading the manuel twice, here goes I when I detect in my field, every once and a while it says I have a quarter, and the number is 75 or higher, BUT when I swing back over the target to locate it the F-2 acts like its froze? I do not get a beep or nothing?? If I pinpoint, or turn off or hit any butttons, it will restart like normal? Thanks, twobeeps;

Hello, and good day; I had a basic question, concerning my F-2. I used it one time after reading the manuel twice, here goes I when I detect in my field, every once and a while it says I have a quarter, and the number is 75 or higher, BUT when I swing back over the target to locate it the F-2 acts like its froze? I do not get a beep or nothing?? If I pinpoint, or turn off or hit any butttons, it will restart like normal? Thanks, twobeeps;

Large iron can show up as a high tone at numbers at this level or higher, so can big aluminum, and if it is big enough it can give you a pretty good tone and number on the screen if the object is not even under the coil but up to a foot away and these far away ones could cause false signals might not repeat every time.
The last target VDI # will stay on the screen until something else comes along and takes its place so if you did get one of these false signals and go back and try to find it you might not be anywhere near the object that caused this signal and might not get another one, real or false, so the number stays there and you won't hear any more tones if there is no other metal in the area so it appears the unit is froze but in reality it is not.
Keep a coin or something else on you and the next time it happens just pass this object by the coil and you will probably see the numbers change without having to hit any buttons.
Hunt an area like a park with a ton of trash signals and I doubt you will ever see this frozen screen behavior but in a field with sparse and spread out metal objects you could.

You could have a problem with the unit and there are a few flaky things that some have reported when using the F2 but freezing VDI numbers is one I haven't heard of.
I suspect this is not really a problem, just normal behavior...you will learn more about how the F2 acts as you get more practice.

Make sure the cable is connected pretty tight, and it is probably a good idea to do a reset once in awhile and always after switching coils.
With the unit off hit the power button but keep your finger depressed on that button for about 10 seconds after the unit powers up and the screen comes alive.
There is no indication you will see, but this is a factory reset and will solve most problems on the F2 if or when it starts acting a little wonky.

Thank you;

Yes, I reset the on button and I will try after snow leaves on warmer day. twobeeps;

Mine will false like that sometimes when I bump it on a clump of grass or a rock on the end of a swing.

...every once and a while it says I have a quarter, and the number is 75 or higher, BUT when I swing back over the target to locate it the F-2 acts like its froze? I do not get a beep or nothing...

Large iron can show up as a high tone at numbers at this level or higher, so can big aluminum, and if it is big enough it can give you a pretty good tone and number on the screen if the object is not even under the coil but up to a foot away and these far away ones could cause false signals might not repeat every time..

I've had that happen a few times and wondered what was going on too, it was like how could such a strong signal just suddenly disappear. Thanks for the input.

Back
Top Bottom