Etrac and Discrimination

AJinNJ

Forum Supporter
I found this on another forum and curious what you guys think over here.

This if from "Nick A" from Buckeye Treasure Hunter.

Here is the topic @ http://www.buckeyetreasurehunter.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=4707

""I love discrimination! I understand on older machines and those with concentric coils, the old recommendation about using less discrimination applies, but not with the E-Trac with the Pro coil.

I have used the preset coin program* exclusively and don't think I am missing much at all. I am digging good items close to and mixed in with trash, coins with serious iron stains on them. I am consistently digging old coins from well-hunted parks that I and hundreds, if not a thousand detectorists have missed. I have tried both Andy's program and TTF and I've not found anything but trash in sites I have hunted well in preset coin mode.

However, all this is dependent on your site and what you want to dig. I am coinshooter working old parks and schools in the midwest. If you are a relic hunter in the south or a old farmfield or cellarhole hunter, your needs may be different and TTF might be just the thing for you.

I have not found there to be any real time lag between signals when using discrimination. This was definitely a problem with older machines and especially the early Explorers, but I am finding targets located amazingly closely together and getting recognizable enough signals on each that I can sort it out, or at least know I need to dig that signal and investigate. The peep of a high tone comes through the trash and if you are listening, tells you that you need to check it out.

I also do not think I have lost any depth by using discrimination. I am digging very deep targets, with good IDs at depths I have never hit with other machines. At the last site I was hunting, the deep coins were below plugs cut the length of my Lesche digger, and beyond the reach of the SunRay probe. I had to remove the plug and additional dirt to get the SunRay to sound off.

If you are afraid you're missing targets, by all means, open up that screen, but for me, all I get is wasted time digging more trash and iron signals and no increase in good finds, in fact my good finds are reduced as I wasted more of my hunting time digging trash! I'd rather be digging more old coins than chasing every iffy signal in a paranoid manner afraid that I'd miss one little thing. I'm more than happy with my results (and to me, the results speak for themselves), so I'm sticking with discrimination."

It's absolutely false unless your only target is clad. If you want to dig OLD coins, most of the time those coins are deep. Deep = higher FE #s, often with a bouncing FE. If you don't open up that screen, you will leave behind old coins. I have used the E-Trac for almost 5 years now. I use a wider pattern than Andy's and I have dug, clear, crisp coin signals with FE's in the low 20's.

The person who wrote that has not taken the time to learn to discriminate with his brain.

I dug a solid hit today with a high FE but read a 40 Conductive 46 Dime ... pulltab, nail and dime in one hole ... I run it 26-35 Fe disc out everything else open and I decide what I want to dig ... yes I know a coin sound but if I'm in the mood I dig junk looking for jewelry ... this way I have the option of knowing what is there and letting my brain tell me what to dig

'scrim is the debil

say you find a deeper, 'iffy' target on an open screen and then you add whatever discrim you would have run...do you still detect the iffy target better or worse? did you have to change swing speed?

it is 'said' all machines lose depth to discrimination, but ho knows relative to each different machine?

Deeper silver coins do not ring in the silver coin range. That null will block out good targets. Do not use any discrimination when detecting with any detector. I will use iron mask on my se pro but set it at 28. I want to hear every target and you WILL miss good silver targets with the discrimination coin pattern. Use iron mask or just block out nails and dig all targets 6 inches and deeper.

Back
Top Bottom