"new" Minelab X-terra 505 and relics?

Curbdog

Elite Member
Just couldn't pass up a showroom 505, this week. I come from mainly using a Vaquero so this really seems like the "darkside" to me! :lol:

Anyways, I'm mainly a relic hunter along with some coin-shooting. Not a lot of 505 vid's but downloaded the e-book from the Minelab site. Great info in that! I could really use some advice from X-terra users.

For example : what settings would one run with in relic hunting with the 505? What do minies typically show up as? I appreciate any and all, guys!

(side note : NEVER refer to a detector as "sexy" in front of the wife. It typically does not translate well with the other half! :lol: )

Yeah my wife calls my detectors the love of my life and the girlfriend:laughing: I spend too much time detecting sometimes:roll: You have to give the wife more time than the hobby:D

Thanks for the replies. Found a section of forum, dedicated only to X-terrra users! Such a wealth of information.

I have a 705 and picked up the 3hkz coil wow way better depth and id on relics and silver coins in my area this it just from today. All targets were 5-8inches deep in super dry conditions.

I live in northwest indiana and i run my machine with these settings

1. Auto noise cancel
2 run ground balance tracking
3 i have a +5 for ground balance off set
4 run in all metal.
5 use headphones!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

sury7e6a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Thanks for the replies, all! I'm looking forward to receiving a 10.5" 7.5 khz DD coil soon. I've always been a fan of running a DD coil over the concentric in most spots and am really reserving judgement until it comes in.

It is a world different from the Tesoros I have been running so it will take time, I know. :yes:

couple weeks ago I got the 6" digger coil 3kHz and will probably never take it off my 705. it's that good

So I've heard......a lot! No doubt it's got to be great.

I mainly relic hunt so my first coil addition has got to be a good DD, to add to just the stock concentric coil. Later on, that 6" 3 khz is a must have for those coinshooting trips! :yes:

505 dd

I have a xt 505 for 3yrs now. I love it, no problems with at all. Did get the 10.5 DD and it works great. Covers a little more area and i get pretty good dept . 505 was my first minelab, i always had and still have Tesoros.Other than the warranty on the minelabs I like it. but my neaxt one will be a tesoro outlaw.

Hi!

I spent the last 4 months getting to know my 505 intimately.
I mainly use the stock 9" coil as it works very well in most situations.
I have the 18.75khz 6" for trashy sites. It really separates the targets well and finds things so small you begin to wonder if they are there at all.
I will get the 3khz 6" next and probably use it with those 3 forever. My argument for the concentric is the ease of pinpointing. DD's are a little more tricky to figure out where to dig.

I hunt everything but an example of relic finding for you here. I dug what I think is part of a bridle, a 6" teardrop shaped pendant looking thing made of bronze or copper, at 16-18"!!!

Loud and clear tone. That was with the 9" stock.

GL + HH!!!

I mainly relic hunt so my first coil addition has got to be a good DD, to add to just the stock concentric coil.
There are really only two reasons for DD coils. One would be separation in trashy areas, the other would be higher mineralization that can rob a CC of depth.

Before making a decision on which coil to get next, you should really go to the Minelab site again and read Randy's four part blog article called "Which Xterra Coil Is Best For Me".
http://www.minelab.com/usa/treasure-talk/which-x-terra-coil-is-best-for-me-part-1
http://www.minelab.com/usa/treasure-talk/which-x-terra-coil-is-best-for-me-part-2
http://www.minelab.com/usa/treasure-talk/which-x-terra-coil-is-best-for-me-part-3
http://www.minelab.com/usa/treasure-talk/which-x-terra-coil-is-best-for-me-part-4

Back
Top Bottom