"Help me learn to hunt" requests. How to handle?

Late to this thread, but happy to go to a school yard or local park if I have time and spend a few minutes to go over basics, or whatever..

I think new users need to get machine specific information from here and places like YouTube unless you have experience with that machine.

If I don't have time, I don't have any issue saying no and telling them to ask again in the future.

i enjoy helping newbies i run into at local areas......esp telling them to skip all pulltab & nickel signals :lol:

Delete thread

I personally feel this thread should be deleted. It gives the forum a "bad" image.
plus, if you don't want to help others, then don't - just be respectful declining to help someone else.
I had too teach myself. A big learning curve. I am glad I didn't come across some of the "others" - I might not be mding if I did.
I really enjoy the sport and relax doing it.
mding comes across as a sport that is helping and sharing with others. There is usually going to be a few "other" apples in any barrel.
just delete the thread and enjoy the sport.
Help the newbies if you want and respectfully decline if you don't.
End of story.
delete the thread.

There is no better way to learn to hunt with a detector than for a person to get out by themselves and spend loads of serious time with the machine. Those who try to take shortcuts by asking others to take them out and "show" them how its done are really only hurting themselves. Nobody should "need" to be "shown" how to properly cut a plug and retrieve an object , thats something that can be explained easily verbally , and there is no shortage of youtube videos and the like that explain it as well. I have declined opportunities to take people out and teach them how its done as well and I feel Ive done them a favor , everybody develops their own unique ways of doing things anyway , what works best for them. Detecting with somebody is a lot of fun but I think too many times when somebody asks to be taught like that they are trying to get from point A to point C by skipping point B. Just like all the questions people have about where to hunt , what they usually want is specific sites so they can skip the work it takes to find them......of course then too , they dont get a chance to learn the process of finding them. Its not unhelpful to suggest to somebody that they really need to take a detector out and spend some serious one on one time with it in order to learn. There is so much instant information available from the detectors user manual to sites like this one , not to mention all the videos out there , that if somebody cant figure out how to do something then they arent trying very hard. In many cases that should be your first clue that they are trying to avoid paying their dues so to speak.

Uggggh.... I think many who have posted do not fully understand what the OP is saying.:(

THE OP IS NOT SAYING THAT HE DOESN'T LIKE GIVING OTHER HOBBYISTS TIPS AND ADVICE. In his original post, he clearly stated that what he did not enjoy was having to hold someones hand and guide them through the mding process. There is a big difference in giving some tips and advice, and teaching someone how to hunt from the beginning.

And honestly, this forum has so much info that, ALONG WITH READING THE MDS MANUAL, no one should need to be walked through how to use their MD. Just read the forum, watch the videos, read the manual, and you are already well on your way.

HH everyone

100% true dat

I personally feel this thread should be deleted. It gives the forum a "bad" image.
plus, if you don't want to help others, then don't - just be respectful declining to help someone else.
Help the newbies if you want and respectfully decline if you don't.
End of story.
delete the thread.

Maybe they should leave it to show new people that everyone doesn't want to help, and they need to be careful with who they ask...

I'm still relatively new to the hobby with 8 months experience, but I have to agree with the OP's point of view to some extent and I don't see anything wrong with him posting this. Beginners need to read about how their particular machine works and then review the literally hundreds of You Tube videos and websites with tips on detecting. You shouldn't expect anyone to teach you everything you need to know on this. In this day and age its unfair to demand anyone teach you anything really because we have the whole world at our fingertips here on the Internet. That's why this forum is so valuable because if one takes the time to read and ask a few questions they can learn almost all they need to know with the rest it just comes from experience in the field learning as you dig. Some people don't want to commit the time it takes to get good at this...just like any other sport or hobby. I went out with friends who I think have had detectors for several years yet don't go out much. I was teaching them things. They didn't even have headphones nor understand why you should have them. I've been approached by other MD'ers to do research for them and "if I did" they would allow me to come with them to certain areas. I say that is a bunch a bull too! Do your own research!

Sorry to have to disagree with some of you fine folks, but if there are new treasure hunters in my area, I want to personally hold their hands and teach them the right way to do things.

I want to show them IN PERSON how to dig a coin without leaving a trace, and I want them to then demonstrate to me that they can do it right. I want to tell them the importance of headphones, and explain why they are necessary. And I want to be sure that they know I'm coming for them if they don't fill their holes. The last thing I need is to be banned from a park because some rookie didn't know how to dig or fill properly.

And I sure don't want to trust the newbie to find the right internet sites on his own that will guide him through the proper procedures. I see too many internet "rules" that are just plain wrong. The web is full of incorrect information! How would a newcomer know what to trust?

I was a college instructor for 26 years, and I know firsthand how much better it is to learn with hands-on, step-by-step instruction from a qualified teacher, than by trying to learn from googling for information and hoping that what you find is correct.

Sorry to have to disagree with some of you fine folks, but if there are new treasure hunters in my area, I want to personally hold their hands and teach them the right way to do things.

I want to show them IN PERSON how to dig a coin without leaving a trace, and I want them to then demonstrate to me that they can do it right. I want to tell them the importance of headphones, and explain why they are necessary. And I want to be sure that they know I'm coming for them if they don't fill their holes. The last thing I need is to be banned from a park because some rookie didn't know how to dig or fill properly.

And I sure don't want to trust the newbie to find the right internet sites on his own that will guide him through the proper procedures. I see too many internet "rules" that are just plain wrong. The web is full of incorrect information! How would a newcomer know what to trust?

I was a college instructor for 26 years, and I know firsthand how much better it is to learn with hands-on, step-by-step instruction from a qualified teacher, than by trying to learn from googling for information and hoping that what you find is correct.

Nothing wrong with that. But honestly Dan , we are not talking rocket science here and those who would ruin our hobby by avoiding common sense are gonna do it anyway , whether they are taught the right way or not , because they are lazy. Its not college level learning , just something that takes time and personal experience to get good at , added to all the information that is available and just a little common sense , even the most inept could figure it out if they are willing to put the time in. There really are no shortcuts , being taught "how" does not teach "why" , that can only come from time in the field.

I think the very valid subtext here is the small number of people with no qualms about being pushy getting help because they think it will get them lots of silver without having to deal with a learning curve.

No one should expect to be walked through the long, painful process of becoming a successful old coin detectorist. If someone really enjoys teaching people all of the skills and strategies and nuances of using a particular detector (Etrac), then more power to them. However they should be ready to meet people who expect an unreasonable amount of their time and effort just because they are to lazy to confront the healthy learning process of figuring some things out for themselves.

To the point, I haven't felt comfortable joining the local club here until I can stand on my own two feet, to a degree. They shouldn't have to deal with new members being complete green horns that haven't done the work, with a hundred questions they could easily answer on youtube and with a little field experience.

No one should expect to be walked through the long, painful process of becoming a successful old coin detectorist. If someone really enjoys teaching people all of the skills and strategies and nuances of using a particular detector (Etrac), then more power to them. However they should be ready to meet people who expect an unreasonable amount of their time and effort just because they are to lazy to confront the healthy learning process of figuring some things out for themselves.

Really its the same no matter what the past time is. We could be on a hunting, fishing, gambling, tennis, golf, etc. message board and still many longtimer's are going to feel the same. Its not fair to expect someone else to do the work for you is what it comes down to.

I want to say that I find it ironic that the person that resurrected this thread is one that wants it deleted. If you would have left it go, it would have been even farther at the bottom of the heap and no one would have ever seen it.

Other than that, I feel that your going to have to give something in order to get something. That "new" person might be looking for pointers b/c they want a hunting buddy for some old large properties. You show them some things and then they invite you to hunt with them on their sites.

Or they just might be friendly looking to make a new friend or 2.

I may invite them out for a session of sharing tips. Maybe taken them to a site ive cleaned out or even better a site of their choosing. We can share some techniques and perform some experiments but as far as taking them to a honey hole im still working on, hmmm not sure about that, lol.

All I can say is this. I simply asked my friend what certain things came up as NUMBER wise on his AT-Pro and back when we both had the Ace 350 I simply had my decision on what was down there and asked for him to sweep and see if he felt I was correct. Only other way for anyone, rookies, casual and pro's to learn what their machine will find is this....

Dig EVERYTHING you can until YOU know YOUR machine. Keep mental notes on what VDI and/or numbers (at-pro) come up when you dig and that will guide you. Experiment on objects. If you think it may be junk. DIG it to prove to yourself that you are getting better at distinguishing trash from treasure. Keep in mind. I recently found a 14k gold ring that came up as a 64/65 on the AT-Pro. This is normally just canslaw pieces or the like but? for some reason I dug it. Now I'm digging lots of trash just due to that one ring. How many have I skipped in the last year due to not digging much in the 60's??? Who knows. Well, I think this thread is useful to all as it gives you a guide as to WHO will and WHO wont help you or point you in the right direction. And yeah, there's some people who just feel they want the hobby to themselves and are unwilling to help but I have yet to find a real (jerk) here. Everyone here has been really helpful and knowledgable (sp) to me. Only real way to learn the machine is time in the field and tons and tons and tons of holes dug. Im over 3300 coins to date. Have not been out in a week + due to the heat and humidity. I dispise it. Gimme cold air any day. Either way. Have fun, enjoy the reading here and I really enjoy the "Cool finds" pictures everyone posts. Kind of makes me jealous on some of them. :):):) HH to all. May Silver and Gold come your way.

As a newbie, Im somewhat disappointed in the responses in this thread. I dont mind putting in the time but as a former teacher I know that things progress faster and easier when someone is guiding you.

... as a former teacher I know that things progress faster and easier when someone is guiding you.

Former teacher? Did you retire, or make a career change?

I retired from teaching (college; broadcasting) four years ago, and I miss the kids but not the school politics.

I've asked to join more experienced hunters than myself, but I hope I never presume too much. I'm grateful for the help the local bunch in Wichita has given me, and truly have been welcomed. I hope to be able to help others sometime down the road. It would be nice to be able to repay the kindness I have been shown.

Former teacher? Did you retire, or make a career change?

I retired from teaching (college; broadcasting) four years ago, and I miss the kids but not the school politics.

Career change, was getting burned out real fast.

Back
Top Bottom