Coronavirus: High risk group.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Issues are hereditary, many in my family smoked but no cases of lung cancer for instance.

Your family may dodge the cancer bullet, but emphysema eventually gets a lot of smokers. I've watched most of my aunts and uncles lose their will to live due to emphysema. Can't do much when you're attached to an oxygen tank all the time...

Your family may dodge the cancer bullet, but emphysema eventually gets a lot of smokers. I've watched most of my aunts and uncles lose their will to live due to emphysema. Can't do much when you're attached to an oxygen tank all the time...
Grandma and Grandpa on both sides smoked and drank like there was no tomorrow. All passed i their 80’s, Grandad on dads side lived to 91. Auto accident claimed his life. No emphysema. Good genes.

I've known people who smoked 3 packs a day and drank like fish who made it into their 80's or 90's with no issues when every study done basically stated they should of never made it past 50. On the flip side also know people who eat right, exercised, stayed away as much as possible from foods or other products containing dangerous chemicals and they either got cancer or had a heart attack and died. I have no clue if eggs or coffee are good or bad for you these days. Guess it depends which study got the most funding that day. Way I look at it, when your number is called, you're going, no matter what you do. You can try to tilt the odds in your favor but there are no guarantees.

I've known people who smoked 3 packs a day and drank like fish who made it into their 80's or 90's with no issues when every study done basically stated they should of never made it past 50. On the flip side also know people who eat right, exercised, stayed away as much as possible from foods or other products containing dangerous chemicals and they either got cancer or had a heart attack and died. I have no clue if eggs or coffee are good or bad for you these days. Guess it depends which study got the most funding that day. Way I look at it, when your number is called, you're going, no matter what you do. You can try to tilt the odds in your favor but there are no guarantees.

I tend to agree with you on this one. Kind of luck of the draw thing. Sure , you can take all the precautions and have the Gene's, but you just never know. I think about these things often. And I always flash back for some reason to George Burns , who lived to 100. He was smoking and drinking in his teens ( maybe even younger) up until he died. You'd think he would have got mouth cancer or something from all the cigars. Anyway , I loved that guy. Then I think of Jim Fixx , the runner who wrote a book in the mid 70s about Running. I was young and into running at the time. Jim was a total health nut. And all he did was run. Ran himself into the grave with all that running and healthy lifestyle he promoted with a heart attack. He was young and his book was a huge best seller. Loved that guy too. I believe in trying to laugh as much as possible , not taking yourself too seriously , and take it day by day. There are no guarantees.

Then I think of Jim Fixx , the runner who wrote a book in the mid 70s about Running. I was young and into running at the time. Jim was a total health nut. And all he did was run. Ran himself into the grave with all that running and healthy lifestyle he promoted with a heart attack. He was young and his book was a huge best seller. Loved that guy too.

Yup, that was a wake up call for many people. Never much into jogging, but his death certainly took the wind out of the jogging craze back in the 1970's.

Updated 4th January 2021

Well folks here go again, from midnight tonight (GMT) we are back in full lockdown for the foreseeable future, possibly mid February depending on the vaccine rollout.

On a personal level I'm back into 'shielding' so no more field hunting for me, items been in the ground 2000 years a few more months will not hurt.......;)

Well folks here go again, from midnight tonight (GMT) we are back in full lockdown for the foreseeable future, possibly mid February depending on the vaccine rollout.

On a personal level I'm back into 'shielding' so no more field hunting for me, items been in the ground 2000 years a few more months will not hurt.......;)

Hang in there Doug! Love your attitude, wish more were like you!!

Yep, we are in our 3rd peak here in Arkansas, and worse than the other two. Most of this is likely due to people who decided they just HAD to go visit family during the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays. Short sighted folks...or the attitude..well, I ain't got it yet so likely won't. As long as the average citizen is acting foolishly, it will not end. Now we have the start up of vaccinations, but we have people in the health industry who refuse to get the jab. That sends bad signals to the general public...well, if they don't want it then I don't need it. Such foolishness and short sightedness. They have rights, and so does everyone else...other people's health in this instance depends on other people being responsible or irresponsible. KT is certainly not interested in being treated by any health official who is irresponsible. He gets enough chance for exposure just going to the grocery store, Post Office, gas station, and local restuarant. Not interested in going to the clinic where I know so many sick folks visit! But KT must due to diabetes, quarterly check up required by dr. and insurance. The Queen worrying often about the King being exposed and getting it.

Arkansas being a more rural state has the benefit of space to slow the spread, but it still runs rampant in our population centers.

Anyway, that's KT's rambling update for the Royal Realm.

According to the CDC, 94% of the C-19 fatalities have had underlying medical conditions. The overwhelming majority of the comorbitities were obesity related illnesses. The CDC also estimates that our national obesity rate is 42.4%(43.3% for aged 60 and over), with the rate increasing by 26% since 2008.

According to the NIH(National Institutes of Health), obesity is the second leading cause of preventable death - only slightly behind tobacco use -, in the United States, and is now killing Americans at the rate of ~300,000 annually.

We are in the midst of a worse epidemic than Covid-19, but PC cripples our ability to address it. If you make even the slightest attempt at having an objective conversation about our obesity problem, you're a bigot.

Our high risk group you ask?

Attachments

• image1 (1).jpeg
    image1 (1).jpeg
    77.4 KB · Views: 205
At the moment. (UK)

"Broadly, vaccines are being given to the most vulnerable first, as set out in a list of nine high-priority groups, covering around 30 million people.
They are thought to represent 90-99% of those at risk of dying from Covid-19.

Residents in care homes for older adults and their carers
80-year-olds and over and frontline health and social care workers
75-year-olds and over I'm just months away from the next group up....;)
70-year-olds and over and clinically extremely vulnerable individuals
65-year-olds and over
16- to 64-year-olds with serious underlying health conditions
60-year-olds and over
55-year-olds and over
50-year-olds and over

People aged over 80 in hospital, frontline health staff and care home workers have been the first to get the Pfizer jab at designated hospitals hubs across the UK."

The situation in Los Angeles County is so dire that ambulance drivers have been instructed to triage patients and not bring to hospitals those with a low survival probability.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jemima...th-little-chance-of-survival/?sh=424556f17211

Ya if I still lived in So Cal, I think If I got really sick I would high tail it across the Nevada line or something and hit a Hospital there.. after all if they EMT isn't going to help you ..what do you have to lose for the extra 4 hour drive..

According to the CDC, 94% of the C-19 fatalities have had underlying medical conditions. The overwhelming majority of the comorbitities were obesity related illnesses. The CDC also estimates that our national obesity rate is 42.4%(43.3% for aged 60 and over), with the rate increasing by 26% since 2008.

According to the NIH(National Institutes of Health), obesity is the second leading cause of preventable death - only slightly behind tobacco use -, in the United States, and is now killing Americans at the rate of ~300,000 annually.

We are in the midst of a worse epidemic than Covid-19, but PC cripples our ability to address it. If you make even the slightest attempt at having an objective conversation about our obesity problem, you're a bigot.

Our high risk group you ask?

You can't give obesity to others.

Govenator of our state announced today the new vaccine schedule today. KT, being 70+, falls in the A3 category, but that means little because at the rate they are going it will likely be late March before His Majesty gets on the call for an appointment time list. Heard today of a pharmacy whose fridge broke down and they gave out a large number, over 500, vaccinations in 3 hours. Now hoping other fridges will fail and get these pharmacists in high gear! :D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom