grey ghost question

BillyB

My grey ghost waterproof headphones came today. I hit the beach to test them out on my ctx 3030. My question is that the volume seemed very low. I had to bring up max volume and gain. Is this normal. I was at a bay beach that wasnt very noisey i couldnt imagine using them in the ocean.

If they are the ones rated for 200 feet under water (I think that's correct) then they have a noise canceler on them and they are WAY WAY WAY too quiet for above water detecting. You can have that removed by someone that knows how to take them apart and reseal them. But even then they are too quiet in my opinion.

I have grey ghost amphibians (volume control on side of headphones) that are AWESOME on my Excal and I have the underwater ones rated to 200 feet (no volume control on side) (again I think it's 200 feet) and have had that noise canceler removed and the amphibians are still much louder.

My grey ghost waterproof headphones came today. I hit the beach to test them out on my ctx 3030. My question is that the volume seemed very low. I had to bring up max volume and gain. Is this normal. I was at a bay beach that wasnt very noisey i couldnt imagine using them in the ocean.

Both sets just not what they should be on the CTX..

for my ctx I went with the stock excal headphones, gutted them out of their shells, and put them into some high quality 3M muffs, changed the connector to the ctx type connector, jumped two of the pins together to silence the ctx external speaker while the headphones are installed and they are good enough. Not as good as the wireless module and some quality ear buds but while in the water you'll need the muffs.

for my ctx I went with the greyghost headphones, bypassed the volume control and put it full throttle, gutted them out of their shells, and put them into some high quality 3M muffs, changed the connector to the ctx type connector, jumped two of the pins together to silence the ctx external speaker while the headphones are installed and they are good enough. Not as good as the wireless module and some quality ear buds but while in the water you'll need the muffs.

I can't speak to your specific model . But just as for Grey Ghost in general : I had a pair of Grey Ghosts years ago, and was very happy with them. So after many years, went to buy another pair. I purchased the exact same model, yet ........ the sound was noticeably muffled. Volume lower.

I figured I must have some sort of counterfeit Chinese knockoff. I contact the seller (a forum classified deal) to see where he'd gotten them . But he assured me he got them from a brick & mortar reputable dealer. Hmmmm

So I floated the question at the time , and discovered that many others were finding that all the more recent Grey Ghosts were like that. They'd gone down hill. The sounds were no longer "crisp".

And the reason seems to be, that although perhaps the headphones themselves might still be made in the USA, yet the components INSIDE can sometimes begin to come from different vendors. So as time went on, perhaps started by a cheaper Chinese component in order to save money. And even though supposedly rated the same, yet ......... had a minute difference that's not noticeable till you've got a detector that relies very heavily on needing very crisp sounds.

I will never buy another pair of Grey Ghosts again. Killer B's for me now :)

Yes they are muffled. Also for what it is worth. The CTX yellow Koss get some good volume on a modded Excalibur with ctx headphone connector. Put the same pair on the CTX and the maxed volume is still too low.

Thanks everyone. The dealer told me to just max the gain but i dont feel like thats a good choice. And i did that and it still wasnt enough. I didnt get the koss wp headphones because i hated the stock koss headphones that fall off my head all the time. There doesnt seem like too many good options here. I might have to just modd these with new speakers and limiter circuit.

Also, regarding the down-hill quality of Grey ghosts over the years: The only md'rs who seem to sense this (and thus point it out and gripe) are only the users of certain detectors where sounds and tone and volume become a critical component. You know, like machines which have symphonies of tones, and very low fine "growls", etc..... (Explorer, for instance). Or a noisy environment where you need more volume, etc...

If the type machine has limited tones (or a monotone beep-&-dig type), then the user probably doesn't notice.

Hence when the question comes up, some grey ghost users chime in and are perfectly satisfied. But when you go to inquire about what machine they are using, it's usually a machine where ..... sure .... it wouldn't make a difference. Either that or they never had the first generation better headphones, so they simply don't know what they're missing.

I bought the grey ghosts as well and you have to almost max out the volume especially in the wind on a noisy beach. For the price I kinda expect more but ya work with what ya got

They will but they are small.. the Audiosears 2463's are the same as they use in most land headphones. Black Widows, Gray Ghost, Killer bee's, Sunray Pro Golds...etc.. I'll look around for you..

And yes I used them for a few years ..not for diving.

The Goretex is 100 percent water proof..

I agree Tom those using the GG and thinkbthey are fine havent used a good pair of phones. I have a pair Joe cleaned up and got water proof when they first came out. Mines better than the average GG. I wouldnt recommend using the gain as a volume control. Gain is your modulation for targets. I will add..... Ron Delgado apparently now owns the GG. So you may see an upgrade to those speakers.

The waterproof GG are not that loud,,,,,just the way they are,,,,the amphibians have more volume,,,,BUT, I don't like them either,,,,,,leaked even after I sealed the speaker and just didn't have very good tone separation,,,,,,,they are comfortable though, but comfort doesn't make it worth it to me IMO,,,,GL HH

I agree Tom those using the GG and thinkbthey are fine havent used a good pair of phones. I have a pair Joe cleaned up and got water proof when they first came out. Mines better than the average GG. I wouldnt recommend using the gain as a volume control. Gain is your modulation for targets. I will add..... Ron Delgado apparently now owns the GG. So you may see an upgrade to those speakers.

Yeah i was a little annoyed when the company i bought them from told me "just raise the gain if you cant hear". Esspecially after i spent 3000.00 this year alone. I was going to return them and build a set since there doesnt seem to be a good water proof solution for the ctx. But i was able to get audiosears from the manufacturer (just had to buy 8 pairs) lol. So im gonna mod the gg. I took them apart and its a very sad speaker in there but its most likley because they are rated for 175 ft deeper that my ctx. I only need it for 10ft or so. So I will take pics and stuff and post how the modded ones turn out. Also if anyone needs audiosears 2463s hit me up privately. I hope this works.

Another headphone brand that apparently started using cheaper chinese internal components was Koss. 15 or 20 yrs. ago, I had a pair of Koss that was awesome. Crisp, loud, etc... But about 5 or so years ago, I went to buy another pair. And even though I bought the exact same model and series #, they were noticeably inferior in sound quality.

Sheesk, let's just hope that sunray and killer B's never stop buying the expensive components to stick in their headphones.

Another headphone brand that apparently started using cheaper chinese internal components was Koss. 15 or 20 yrs. ago, I had a pair of Koss that was awesome. Crisp, loud, etc... But about 5 or so years ago, I went to buy another pair. And even though I bought the exact same model and series #, they were noticeably inferior in sound quality.

Sheesk, let's just hope that sunray and killer B's never stop buying the expensive components to stick in their headphones.

Love my sunray pro golds. I got them because the koss headphones that came wiyh my ctx were horrible. So i hope putting the same speakers that vome in the the pro golds into my grey ghosts will do the trick.

Love my sunray pro golds. I got them because the koss headphones that came wiyh my ctx were horrible. So i hope putting the same speakers that vome in the the pro golds into my grey ghosts will do the trick.

I did a few sets of the GGUWs, see if I can find the pics..

Back
Top Bottom