• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

First barber!

MytBrednec

I haven't been swinging much lately, hot weather and other responsibilities etc. but I did a little in a local park while my boys were playing. I dug a ton of tabs and slaw, 7 modern pennies and this little jewel made my day!
817fe127ff04805cc9198cdee8d9af5e.jpg
44bcd4ed3e8c2e756d5c18599703a06e.jpg
f71ddc37f6b74f7c9441deb3fcc7a9d1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Congrats on your Barber. I remember my first in the late 80's. It was 7in. down in the creek rock and sand of the parking area of an old stone country church aways down a rock road. Did not look near as nice as yours, was bent and scratched from over a century getting run over by horse and wagon first years and cars later, lol.

Btw checked your bio, seen you're from west central Mo., I'm from east central Mo. In fact go by echo on another forum. Again congrats.

Don

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Many congrats.

After 5 years I recently found my first Barber, a 1906 O half. I'm still ecstatic over it. It became my good luck piece at my weekly poker game. My winnings improved immensely.

Well about a month ago it went missing. Couldn't imagine how I might have lost it but after several days of tearing the house apart I couldn't find it.

I decided to replace it with another. Searched eBay for a same year, same condition coin. Eventually there were two! Bid on both hoping to win one. Ended up winning both. So I bought them. They both arrived the same day and that same day I looked in my Jeep's console for something and there was my missing coin! Went from none to one to none to two to three!

Story of my life!!!

WoooHooo! Congratulations! Thats a nice one there Red! I found my first Barber Dime out in an old park BB field, right behind second base 10yds or so...prob 7" deep...nice damp day, easy digging etc...I was just as shocked as it was! :laughing: These kind of milestones sure stick in a guys mind...40yrs from now, you could easily lead somebody right to the exact spot where you found your first!

That's a cool coin and chipk, I know what you mean. I just bought something cash and now I can't find the darn receipt. At least you have the original now and you just need a routine for placing things.

Nice job on the Barber and I haven't found one yet.

Barber Dime

Sweet. I remember finding my first barber, it was only down about two inches in a front yard that was all dirt. The grass was gone because of the drought in California, and I dug down about two inches, and there it laid, the back side up, and I said to myself, "it's a Barber, my first Barber, how sweet".
I have found about five Barbers since then, but one of the last ones, the reverse was showing in the hole, and I said to myself " wouldn't it be cool if it were a Seated Dime". Sure enough, I turned it over, and it turned out to be a 1891 Seated Dime. My first Seated, I was so happy. Isn't metal detecting fun? Oh, by the way, my last hunt I hunted 7.5 hours in a 40's,50's neighborhood in 100 plus degrees, and came home with 1936 dime, 129 copper pennies, and 27 were wheat, and 1923-s Silver Dollar. It was my third silver dollar in 5.5 years of metal detecting. Hunt in old neighborhoods and you find old coins. I do city strips.

Wow, silver dollar, I would love to find one of them. That's a good find, those things are heavy. I wonder how well used were dollar coins back in the day? Did people still use paper most of the time or were the dollar coins used often in transactions?

Anyone have an idea

Back
Top Bottom