• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Calm waters

Steve

Forum Supporter
12 days going on 13 tomorrow of absolutely pancake flat ocean water. It's basically a large warm swimming pool. Last summer was also like this and most of the local farmers crops were destroyed from heat. Entire beach is sanded in except a small spot at the high tide line loaded with rocks... listening for whispers under them with a tdi.
Anyone else having these conditions? Pacific or Atlantic? I'm Pacific not far from Korea (500miles)

12 days going on 13 tomorrow of absolutely pancake flat ocean water. It's basically a large warm swimming pool. Last summer was also like this and most of the local farmers crops were destroyed from heat. Entire beach is sanded in except a small spot at the high tide line loaded with rocks... listening for whispers under them with a tdi.
Anyone else having these conditions? Pacific or Atlantic? I'm Pacific not far from Korea (500miles)

Seen it sometimes where I can still see people's footprints underwater from the day's activities :) But sometimes I think maybe that's a good thing, might be able to water hunt for fresh drops just below the surface of the sand. :grin:

Pancake flat water is nice but sanded in can last a long time... Seems i either get sanded in or trashed in...

Seen it sometimes where I can still see people's footprints underwater from the day's activities :) But sometimes I think maybe that's a good thing, might be able to water hunt for fresh drops just below the surface of the sand. :grin:

I've always found need a little wave action to knock some of those fresh finds off. Going through my longest gold drought since I started detecting because of this pancake cr@p

Pancake flat water is nice but sanded in can last a long time... Seems i either get sanded in or trashed in...

Found a small section near the high tide. Using a tdi I ignored anything on top of the rocks and was only digging whispers under the rocks. Been a long summer

12 days going on 13 tomorrow of absolutely pancake flat ocean water. It's basically a large warm swimming pool.....

Yes. The wet-sand inter-tidal zone becomes "sterile" d/t incoming sand. Even if only subtle, yet ..... makes for zero targets. Which is exactly the reason why most hard-core hunters here (who bristle at the thought of dry-sand hunting) strictly chase storm erosion chasing patterns.

And exactly the reason why their efforts turn to in-land land hunting during the beach-lull season.

I've always found need a little wave action to knock some of those fresh finds off. Going through my longest gold drought since I started detecting because of this pancake cr@p

I feel you, and that makes sense. I usually hunt erosion a lot more than anything especially in the places with 8ft of sand base ;) But calm water might be good for a retired swim spot in a leeward spot, or one with only a few inches of material on top of rock.

Not an ocean, but the Gulf of Mexico has been flat for weeks here in South Florida. No body surfing, no rouge or 7th wave to take you by surprise...not much being lost. This is a Typical weather pattern for summer, but then so are hurricanes and tropical depressions which we have been spared of so far.
DL

smooth surf really puts down the silt mostly from the change in low and high tides..... add wind direction and stuff gets buried. In the Gulf right now ...... warm water have people all over the place..... deep to shallow. Thats a lot of water to cover out there. That can be an advantage..... a lot of targets missed from people used to running just one line. Good time to change it up..... if you been pounding a beach deep.... work some shallow or near shore.

Dew

smooth surf really puts down the silt mostly from the change in low and high tides..... add wind direction and stuff gets buried. In the Gulf right now ...... warm water have people all over the place..... deep to shallow. Thats a lot of water to cover out there. That can be an advantage..... a lot of targets missed from people used to running just one line. Good time to change it up..... if you been pounding a beach deep.... work some shallow or near shore.

Dew

Found 1 area opening up a little. Hit some gold last night. All gold lost in the past years is gone, buried, for the foreseeable future. Most people here don't go past stomach deep as they can't swim. It's almost impossible to lose something and not recover it in these conditions

Back
Top Bottom