• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

After MUCH back and forth..decision finally made. Nox 800!

SittingElf

Weeks of agonizing deliberation over a decision between the AT MAX, Equinox 600 and the 800 have finally come down to fruition.

I was ready to pull the trigger on the MAX just as all the Equinox information and hype started to really gel on the forums. I decided to hold off purchasing the MAX until I saw some real-world results from the Minelab's offerings. Floated between the MAX and the 600 primarily, but as more and more info came in about the REAL differences between the 600 and 800 started to come out, I levitated towards the 800, despite the significant difference in price. Desicions, decisions...

A few exceptional evaluators on this and other forums really helped me gel my final decision...along with Minelab's very generous military discount. So I will be adding the Equinox 800 to my MD inventory for about $50 more than the MAX would have cost me, and I feel that despite the significantly more difficult learning curve, the 800 will likely meet my expectations and needs for many moons to come. I'm #5 on the waiting list with my preferred dealer!

Keeping my GTI 2500 with all the coils, and especially the Treasure Hound "Eagle Eye" twin box coil system, but I expect that it will not be swinging except in rare situations in the future. Maybe my son will graduate from his ACE 300 to the GTI when he is big enough to swing it!

Thanks to all the folks here who have diligently expounded upon, and tested the Nox units. It made the decision much easier in the long run. I would expect that Garrett, with their new CEO, is likely to be putting some serious $$$ into R&D to come up with a viable competitor in the next couple of years, but in the meantime, my arm and shoulder will be sooooo much happier with the lightweight of the Nox!

Cheers!

Last edited:
Weeks of agonizing deliberation over a decision between the AT MAX, Equinox 600 and the 800 have finally come down to fruition...!
Congrats! Can't beat the military rate and you can't beat MF-VLF machines when it comes to hunting around salt water.

BTW....Welcome to the forum! I have an office in Palm Bay that I visit about once a month. Maybe we can tag up for a beach hunt

Congratulations!

I've not swung a Nox, but I doubt you'll struggle to learn it. It looks like it's easy out of the gate, but will get better as you learn to take advantage of it.

Thanks for posting I thought you were going to tell us you choose the MAX over the NOX.. I test detectors and hunt a lot so let me get this out of the way . YOU MADE THE CORRECT CHOICE!!! Ok its not a hard machine to hunt with . It has a quick start guide and you will be hunting in 5 minutes with a top performing machine. Was another thread on here and the guy went with the max and I about fell out of my seat when I saw it.......:realitycheck: He listened to the wrong people !!

I took the bait also, and I'm on the wait list. Using it to fill the gaps of my ctx.

I took the bait also, and I'm on the wait list. Using it to fill the gaps of my ctx.

No bait.
Just real reporting on a real performing unit.

Of course you can always just read treasure magazines.. Take the ' bait' from them. Only problem is, seems all they say in those articles they are all exceptional detectors.

I have only read 3 articles about detectors in treasure magazines.
Won't read anymore.

Take my chances here and a few other places.

No bait.
Just real reporting on a real performing unit.

Of course you can always just read treasure magazines.. Take the ' bait' from them. Only problem is, seems all they say in those articles they are all exceptional detectors.

I have only read 3 articles about detectors in treasure magazines.
Won't read anymore.

Take my chances here and a few other places.

Didn't mean it in a negative TNSS. I am all in on the Nox otherwise I wouldn't have ordered it. From what people like you have posted, as well as what I've seen on YouTube videos, I can see it's gonna compliment the my CTX, much like the Deus would. HH.

YOU MADE THE CORRECT CHOICE!!! ...another guy went with the max and ... listened to the wrong people !!
Yes, YES, YES!!!!

No bait. Just real reporting on a real performing unit.
again.... YES, YES, YES!!!

Garrett's sales will plummet until they sponsor another MD'g show or stop bringing a single frequency KNIFE to a multi-frequency GUN fight.

Didn't mean it in a negative TNSS. I am all in on the Nox otherwise I wouldn't have ordered it. From what people like you have posted, as well as what I've seen on YouTube videos, I can see it's gonna compliment the my CTX, much like the Deus would. HH.

I understand.
Believe me, I am still excited about Nox, and I have been running a while now.
Never been this excited about a detector ever.
It will will complement your CTX alright.
Might turn in to your main ring, depending where you are hunting.

I don't understand the title. It says "Not 800" but that's what you bought?

BTW... I just bought a brand new ATMax for $220 less than the 800. Not sure where your $50 difference came from.

Okay Calabash, go ahead and insult my new machine.

Dan

BTW... I just bought a brand new ATMax for $220 less than the 800. Not sure where your $50 difference came from.

Dan

Dan, I don't believe that any member here would insult you over your purchase. Your happiness with your purchase is much more important. The data information posted here is in most cases personal suggestions and not a directive. All of us hope that you are totally Max-ed out over your decision. The "not 800" is a attention getter and it did work.

Dan

I think he meant to type "Nox 800" rather than "Not 800". I do that with think and thing all the time. But I often type faster than I think.

People have all sorts of opinions on equipment. Use what works for you and don't worry about what others think.

A typo. Okay, it makes perfect sense now. LOL!

I was scratching my head over that one!

As for my friendly poke at Calabash, he's been on a mission on some of the other forums to denigrate the AT Max any chance he can. Of course, he would never do that here because this is the "Friendly" metal detecting forum! :laughing:

Prediction ! Dan it wont be long before I see a mint used AT MAX in the classifieds...:laughing: and when I do see it . I'm gonna post a big fat I told you so!!!! :hornetsnest:

Back
Top Bottom