Up average

If two targets are in same detected vicinity, some metal detectors will try to "average" the conductivity number of the targets, then display it's best "guess" at the conductive number.

Most but not all detectors average numbers when multiple targets are detected

If two targets are in same detected vicinity, some metal detectors will try to "average" the conductivity number of the targets, then display it's best "guess" at the conductive number.

Most but not all detectors average numbers when multiple targets are detected

Very interesting, I had never heard this before.:shock:
I guess my AT PRO does not do this because I can hear the slightest chirps when a coin is mixed in with iron and such.

My Deus will do what I call up averaging on deep nickels(7"+) giving them numbers and tone in the zinc penny range or higher. It will also give slightly higher numbers to deep silver. This is good in my opinion because I want to be alerted to really deep targets as they are likely old. Deep junk targets will up average too but they sound more scratchy but I will dig anything deep anyway just to be sure

Two similar metals will up average, just the other day I came across two quarters laying on top of each other in a hole.
Regularly a quarter for me is an 85 on my Fisher, these were a solid 89.
Add another quarter to that mix and I would have gotten into the 90's.

Two dissimilar metals will usually down average, a quarter and a nickel close to each other will average somewhere around a dime or so.

Then there is another kind of up averaging and the Fishers are designed to do this around iron.
Yes you would think all targets would down average if they are higher conductors and they are near to low iron pieces...if only things were that logical in our world.
Over time I have found that this is not true, for me just the opposite happens 99 % of the time if the offending iron is high in volume, big enough or the dirt is saturated with it.
I have dug gold, silver and all kinds of things that were higher than normal because they were in close proximity to iron...nails, pieces of old pipes, whatever.
Even just the dirt you hunt in can cause this effect, here in the southeast most of our dirt is red because of iron oxide.
Other brands can do this too, I have a Mojave that does this all the time in my red clay mineralized dirt on all targets...the deeper the target the higher the conductivity readings.

This is not only a real effect on many brands but on Fishers it is programmed in...and enhanced.
I used the knowledge I learned about this to find much treasure in iron infested sites out west in much better dirt and discovered it all transferred over to everything I hunt for when I moved back to the south.
This is not a fluke, this is a real effect I have come to count on and trust...here.
In a land where a 32 shallow nickel will come in at the 50's at 3-4" deep and at the high 80's to low 90's if it is 6-8" deep this knowledge has come in very handy.

My experiences learning about up averaging in the 5th post in this thread...
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?37,2322233

What does it mean when I here people say that the fisher f75 up averagesome.

This is referring to meter readings.

Well, up average using the model you mention here.
Can be driven by soil Minerals.
Depth of target.
Conductivy of target.
Size of target.
Size of coil used depending on depth of target.

Now nonferrous mixed with iron, detector can do both.

Average of multiple nonferrous targets under coil, is different animal really.
Now this average Vdi reported on multiple objects under coil.
This is not true here in the strictest sense.
Why?
Will largely depend on size of target and its conductivity.

For example take a clad dime and a pull tab,,,yep an average will likely happen.

Take a real small pice of foil and a clad dime,,,here dime will rank supreme, and the real small foil is beaten out badly by the detectrors operation.
User here could see actually a true ID of clad dime or very very close to true I.d of clad dime.

Now, there is nonferrous that reads in iron range. Yep it can happen.
The iron actually pulls against the nonferrous signal, this tug of war can put meter reading some times on these targets to like meter readings 6,7,8, ect.
Now, depending on the overbearingness of the iron vs the colocated nonferrous object, the " colocated signal provided could be deeper in the iron range,,hence unless a user digs this deeper Vdi iron range signal, they likely will never know the nonferrous object exists.

One last scenario.
Deeper targets can report as iron with iron meter reading Vdi wise.
Soil mineral levels can accelerate this process making a shallower nonferrous object read as iron sooner.
Some folks, me as well have had some success, watching depth meter using pinpoint.
You might see for example a signal repeating as iron, pinpoint tells you it is 11" deep.
Pinpointing also shows a rounder style target.
So a person can dig these and might find a good find.
Basically in this example, detector is lying to user,,but users can play the odds and expose the detectormformlyint using pinpoint function.
Very possible for a small nuance of audio presentation to give a hint too, like tone that has not totally transitioned to hard iron tone, yet signal not pure like a nonferrous signal generally is.

No matter which detector model one uses. As they grow with their units.
Here is the question folks should be asking themselves.

When you get a less than stellar signal,,,,do you smell a RAT??
When you start out foxing the less textbook signals, and make some better/nice finds then you are getting there with your instrument.
Way too many variables to list.
Only use in varied sites, digging too will expose and help one learn.
Detectors do have tendencies, but tendencies are just that.
Their are exceptions too.
These I call the RATS.
Hunting hard hunted sites, they usually have less textbook signal, more less stellar, it is here where I feel more advanced learning will take place.
Cheers.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I quess I should start digging all signals to get a better handle on the f75

Back
Top Bottom