• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Tip from 40 years of detecting

Well,,,
Maybe I should 't be talking here,,,as I have not been detecting 40 years.

But in my mind,,,detecting is juat detecting.

Some folks can be selfish,,some folks generous.

I would hope the hobby would be about making friends,,detecting together,,,exploring,,talking,,,laughing,,and learning.

I'll take anyone who wants to come to my area,,,,I will put them on a site,,,even sites with good detecting history.

I may well be doing this this Friday,,,for a couple gents.

And you know what,,,,I hope they find the find of their lifetime.

I sure won't lose an ounce of sleep over it.

Maybe it will be me,,that does.

Sneaks,,,now these are the folks I don't like.

Just be open and honest with me,,,,and I can live with that.

Well,,,
Maybe I should 't be talking here,,,as I have not been detecting 40 years.

But in my mind,,,detecting is juat detecting.

Some folks can be selfish,,some folks generous.

I would hope the hobby would be about making friends,,detecting together,,,exploring,,talking,,,laughing,,and learning.

I'll take anyone who wants to come to my area,,,,I will put them on a site,,,even sites with good detecting history.

I may well be doing this this Friday,,,for a couple gents.

And you know what,,,,I hope they find the find of their lifetime.

I sure won't lose an ounce of sleep over it.

Maybe it will be me,,that does.

Sneaks,,,now these are the folks I don't like.

Just be open and honest with me,,,,and I can live with that.

I agree with what you are saying, but there's all kinds of different scenarios/things to consider.

I have been on hunts with others at their sites as well as being on hunts with others at my sites. Here's a couple of incidents that I've encountered on my sites (places that I've gained permission to hunt):

I brought a guy to one of my sites and he would dig a plug and instead of putting the tab/can slaw in his pouch he would drop it in the hole and cover it up, and he wasn't covering the plug very well.

Another time with a different guy I took to one of my locations: a couple of days after we hunted my site together I drove to the site to hunt solo and he was hunting there with one of his friends.

Don't take me wrong, I don't mind hunting with others at all, but when there's a possibility of someone screwing it up for me, that's not good.

I agree with what you are saying, but there's all kinds of different scenarios/things to consider.

I have been on hunts with others at their sites as well as being on hunts with others at my sites. Here's a couple of incidents that I've encountered on my sites (places that I've gained permission to hunt):

I brought a guy to one of my sites and he would dig a plug and instead of putting the tab/can slaw in his pouch he would drop it in the hole and cover it up, and he wasn't covering the plug very well.

Another time with a different guy I took to one of my locations: a couple of days after we hunted my site together I drove to the site to hunt solo and he was hunting there with one of his friends.

Don't take me wrong, I don't mind hunting with others at all, but when there's a possibility of someone screwing it up for me, that's not good.

I agree with you. Poor behavior I will not tolerate,,,,if I invited someone and took to a site,,and they are doing stupid Things,,,game over.

Now if I took a new detectorists,,,I would be expecting to monitor them,,and try and teach and tell them the no nos as far as proper conduct/behavior.

I agree with you. Poor behavior I will not tolerate,,,,if I invited someone and took to a site,,and they are doing stupid Things,,,game over.

Now if I took a new detectorists,,,I would be expecting to monitor them,,and try and teach and tell them the no nos as far as proper conduct/behavior.

Exactly! But when you take a newbie out for a hunt, do it at a public park or tot lot instead of letting him/her know of one of your hunting spots until a trust is built and you are confident that they won't ruin a permission that you gained/secured.

I have received a number of requests from people wanting to either "learn" to detect or want be be hunting buddies. A large number of them have come from this forum.

I'm always willing to help a newbie or team up with a like minded person but realize that often these people only want to learn where I hunt. So I always insist that they first provide a hunting spot.

Rarely. Very rarely do I ever hear from them again.

It is unfortunate that some people are so inconsiderate.
This is a fantastic hobby and a great way to meet people and spend time doing something healthy.

I'll take it by the way you've posted this, short and sweet , to the point, that these are words from experience. Sorry to hear you've met an untrustworthy dung pile.

Lol

Digger 41 years this year , as we say on the water beach section say, loose lips sink ships , happy hunting, Earl PS when we going, I can come up to Cumberland for the day howboutit :shock::lol: PS i can let you swing my F75se with boost & dst, need to learn the CTX3030 now. Would like to find a CW belt buckle howboutit

Agreed, especially Civil War relic hunters. Seems to be a major problem in this niche of the hobby. I only go with people I can trust.

This Sport, unlike most outdoor pursuit oriented ones, has a few unique characteristics. Its not like taking a guest fishing/hunting/ginseng/mushrooms to your secret permission/hotspot...All those resources replenish...Not what we Hunt! Not even a heavy clad area will re stock at any reasonable rate...So thats something to consider...Silver/Gold/Relics found is never going to be found again...We hunt One Offs! So a guy has to keep all this in mind...

Not all people have an idea about location ethics or reciprocity...Thats why this is mainly a Solitary Sport...I will say this though, the Forum here? We get to share in the success of each other from a safe distance.

We have learned from each other, shared Lifes successes and personal tragedies even! We have seen some of our Brothers/Sisters go from complete noobs into some massive hunters! I'm thinking of a few of you right now that didnt know a 9v from a AA just a few years back, and are out hardcore pulling some AMAZING finds!..:laughing: I get a huge kick out of that and can cheer you on with best wishes and good intentions since you live so far away!! :laughing:

Yeah, this Sport is different, still, theres a few of you that can show up here and I'd put you onto some finds, and get a giggle watching you work an unfamiliar yet exciting territory like this Big Lake! You can stay here at CasaDeMud even!...As long as you go home afterwards...at least 1000miles...:laughing:
Mud

Attachments

• blow1.jpg
    blow1.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 722
Last edited:
I have been detecting now for a little over 7 years now. And have found a great hunting buddy. We have shared spots between the 2 of us and it has worked out fine. I do the door knocking. And he research's spots.
I do the driving on dirt digs and he uses his boat and truck for water hunts. So it has been a partnership that has turned up a number of great finds and great times. Love this hobby. And this forum.

I approach hunting sites with others the same way I do when I play blackjack.

I understand the proper etiquette and follow it. If there is someone at the table that either doesn't understand the etiquette, or doesn't care.. I offer my tactful advice on following etiquette. If they refuse, I ask them to find a less crowded table that may not mind them hitting a hard 18 with the dealer showing a 7 (usually with the support of others at the table). Or I find another table that I can play with like minded people, or by myself. :D

Nobody wants to hunt with me because I can literally spend hours swinging and not find a thing.:laughing: One guy that hunt with me sometimes usually takes his ride because if he isn't finding anything worthwhile he won't hang around.

Nobody wants to hunt with me because I can literally spend hours swinging and not find a thing.:laughing: One guy that hunt with me sometimes usually takes his ride because if he isn't finding anything worthwhile he won't hang around.

Right there with you,.

Back
Top Bottom