Etrac Settings Sensitivity figured out

daddyflea

I am not new to my Etrac but I felt like I did not have this Sensitivity thing figured out for sure and I was right. I did an Air Test and found that simply changing from Auto to manual gained 2" on a Silver Dime. I did find that I was about as hot on Sensitivity as I could go using Auto. I knew this because at times in some places, everytime I moved my Coil my machine just Nulled out. I found that if I reduced the Sensitivity I could avoid the Null and swing normal. The Key is the Threshold. If you are getting a decent Threshold while swinging the Coil, you are not over driving. I like to hear those Nulls from Iron then the Threshold return pretty quick.

I discovered that a quick simple way to change from Manual to Auto Sensitivity is to hit the Side Arrow without opening the Menu. Then if you need to decrease the Sensitivity you hit the Up or Down Arrows without opening the Menu. You may need to Exit the Menu while at the Sensitivity Section. Not sure about that.

Today I was hunting in Auto +3 and some of my Sites will not allow +3. Some Coils (Coiltek) are a little hotter so I have to decrease as far as Auto +0. This is in order to obtain that good Threshold.

Today I was using a Sunray X-8 which did allow from +1 to +3. I have hunted this Site at least 4 times with my current Etrac. I also used a very good small coil. My Auto +3 was running good showing a Sensitivity of 19 and I hit a tree which is an obvious spot to hit. I changed to Manual and tried 24 but everytime I moved the Coil nothing but Null. I reduced down to 22 which is the same as Auto +3 at 19 which would seem to be nothing gained, but I was wrong. Man 22 gave me a decent Threshold while swinging so I started hunting.

Result was under 1 tree where I had hunted in Auto 4 times and my Partner at least once, I got 8 Coins. One was this Mercury. This Mercury was not all that deep at only about 6" but it was on end.

From now on it is Manual for me, if I even suspect deep coins.

2uf4z6e.jpg

That's a great lesson, many times people run manual and talk about running so hot to get the depth. It's great to see that running essentially the same level but in manual will make that much of a difference. Thanks for sharing Big Daddy !

I've said that a 100 times,auto sens on a Etrac is a waste of money,might as well buy a ace 350.There is absolutely no way auto plus anything is gonna be deeper or more stable than running at even 22 manual.
I've got well over 500 hours on a Etrac,my friend has thousands,yes thousands of hours on the Etrac,and he feels the same.
Problem with auto really isn't that it's no good,because under certain rare circumstances it is a tool that is used,like ttf.
I for one have a big issue with guys who put a few hours on a machine,writes a book and claim to have mastered the machine.And just like this topic,everyone thinks it's so,because so and so said it's so.
For anyone who runs nothing but auto plus whatever,I'd love to come behind you and find the good things your missing.

On another note,congrats daddy flea on the silver,I'm glad you saw the difference.

I've said that a 100 times,auto sens on a Etrac is a waste of money,might as well buy a ace 350.There is absolutely no way auto plus anything is gonna be deeper or more stable than running at even 22 manual.
I've got well over 500 hours on a Etrac,my friend has thousands,yes thousands of hours on the Etrac,and he feels the same.
Problem with auto really isn't that it's no good,because under certain rare circumstances it is a tool that is used,like ttf.
I for one have a big issue with guys who put a few hours on a machine,writes a book and claim to have mastered the machine.And just like this topic,everyone thinks it's so,because so and so said it's so.
For anyone who runs nothing but auto plus whatever,I'd love to come behind you and find the good things your missing.

On another note,congrats daddy flea on the silver,I'm glad you saw the difference.

I guess some could asked,,,,why in the world did Minelab put manual sensivility capability on the detector in the first place??? Duh

Auto sens,,,is better for new users to get aquatinted with unit,,and beginner detectorist. So they don't get an ear full with the high tone falsing.

Glad to see you did your research to prove out that manual is the way to go for Deep coins!!

It really does make a huge difference. People comment on more falsing, Well Duh, But you learn to recognize the falses really quickly. I am looking forward to seeing your Finds now!! Keep us posted:grin:

I agree, auto sens is a good tool for beginners. I rarely if ever use it, my setting for Michigan soil is manual 28.

I'm at 21-23 ,real mild soil here but a ton of iron,it's busy listening but it is working for deeper targets. I'm sure I've got move to learn.

I'm not new to the e-trac and I use Auto sens a ton. I would say probably 70% of my hunting is in auto. It boils down to this: how much time do I have to hunt and how much ground do I want to cover?

In auto +3, I can move WAY more quickly through an area. Am I missing an occasional deep target? Maybe...but I will tell you that covering area is better than getting depth when you don't have much time to be dorking around checking every false chirp.

Now, if I'm hitting a spot I know has been hunted out or that I've hit multiple times, then yes, I will crank it up. The keypad shortcuts that OP mentioned should be second nature to any e-trac user. Many hunts I am switching back and forth.

If I'm hunting and notice the ground is clean - manual and crank it up.
If I have 2 hours and am hitting a trashy park - auto +3

I have a video where I found my first Barber quarter. I was hunting an area of a fairgrounds that had been a shotgun range in the early 1900's I was running manual sens at 10! Hot machines in trashy areas don't always produce results. The coil will pick up adjacent !!!! and mask good targets.

I guess what I'm saying is that auto sensitivity isn't a bad thing. And you're not a noob if you use it.

I think the thing people just don't understand is, the deep targets are what you want. I guess if you are content with digging clad, foil, and the occasional rosie then great. If you want the oldies dig the deep stuff.

I hardly ever run max, I may adjust many times per sight and that is key to keep that machine running smooth, but I can guarantee I find way more than running in auto since it took a while of going back and forth to figure it out. I also routinely switch to auto on the deep targets to see responce if there is one.. Just like discrimination your brain (or most brains) are way way more advanced then the .10 cent processor in that machine. Just takes a little time to learn how to use it.

If Auto +3 doesn't yield you more than clad, foil, and the occasional Rosie...then you're doing it wrong and have bigger issues than what sensitivity setting you're using! ;)

I think the thing people just don't understand is, the deep targets are what you want. I guess if you are content with digging clad, foil, and the occasional rosie then great. If you want the oldies dig the deep stuff.

I hardly ever run max, I may adjust many times per sight and that is key to keep that machine running smooth, but I can guarantee I find way more than running in auto. Just like discrimination your brain (or most brains) are way way more advanced then the .10 cent processor in that machine. Just takes a little time to learn how to use it.

If Auto +3 doesn't yield you more than clad, foil, and the occasional Rosie...then you're doing it wrong and have bigger issues than what sensitivity setting you're using! ;)

That is completely false. Sure you can find that shallow silver, but you are passing deep targets period. I am fine if you do that, it leaves them for me :)

I love hunting behind folks with this mentality

Personally without any real technical knowledge on the subject, it seems to me that Etrac in Auto is less sensitive to Silver when compared to Manual. It seems like the Frequency that responds to Silver is reduced more than the one that responds to Copper. I have always picked up Wheats pretty good in Auto.

Personally without any real technical knowledge on the subject, it seems to me that Etrac in Auto is less sensitive to Silver when compared to Manual. It seems like the Frequency that responds to Silver is reduced more than the one that responds to Copper. I have always picked up Wheats pretty good in Auto.

Wheat head bigger than a dime.

Person can do more with less on wheats vs dimes generally.

Everyone remember...in Auto you are using 1 channel,the most stable as determined by the machine. In Manual all 3 channels are used. Since you don't get to choose the channel,Manual at lower levels seems to give a better chance of finding what you're after,since all 3 are now in play. It would be better to go to a smaller coil and work slowly than to give up 2/3 of the machines capabilities. If Manual is unbearable to the user then Auto is better than not hunting at all,I guess...JM2cents

I'm not new to the e-trac and I use Auto sens a ton. I would say probably 70% of my hunting is in auto. It boils down to this: how much time do I have to hunt and how much ground do I want to cover?

In auto +3, I can move WAY more quickly through an area. Am I missing an occasional deep target? Maybe...but I will tell you that covering area is better than getting depth when you don't have much time to be dorking around checking every false chirp.

Now, if I'm hitting a spot I know has been hunted out or that I've hit multiple times, then yes, I will crank it up. The keypad shortcuts that OP mentioned should be second nature to any e-trac user. Many hunts I am switching back and forth.

If I'm hunting and notice the ground is clean - manual and crank it up.
If I have 2 hours and am hitting a trashy park - auto +3

I have a video where I found my first Barber quarter. I was hunting an area of a fairgrounds that had been a shotgun range in the early 1900's I was running manual sens at 10! Hot machines in trashy areas don't always produce results. The coil will pick up adjacent !!!! and mask good targets.

I guess what I'm saying is that auto sensitivity isn't a bad thing. And you're not a noob if you use it.

Here's the thing,and I'm not disagreeing with you because if your way works for you,that's all that matters.
For me,if I ran auto just to run smoother and ( cover more ground faster) as you said,I might as well use my f75.
Minelab FBs machines,even the Etrac are made to run slow,I don't expect to cover much ground when I go out with the Etrac.What I do expect is the ground I do cover is to be left with nothing in it,so I crank up manual to at least 25,gain as close to max without falsing,and just go slow.
My type of hunting with a FBs may be different than other peoples,but I'm sure if I cover a small yard in 3 hours I left nothing behind ,at least nothing the Etrac could see.

Always different wants and desires.

Quantity vs quality of coins.

More more modern,,,or less but old coins.

But 9" plus deep dimes,,,hard to find using fbs/FBS 2 units using auto sens.

Could it happen?? Yes but IMO not the norm.

I usually don't post about "exceptions",,if I do,,I state is was an exception.

We see this talk of exceptions with a lot of detectors(but it is treated like it is the norm),and then some folks read and think,,,for example oh boy,,,go out and buy At Pro,,,and whoopee I can dig 9" deep silvers dimes till the cows come home.

Everyone remember...in Auto you are using 1 channel,the most stable as determined by the machine. In Manual all 3 channels are used. Since you don't get to choose the channel,Manual at lower levels seems to give a better chance of finding what you're after,since all 3 are now in play. It would be better to go to a smaller coil and work slowly than to give up 2/3 of the machines capabilities. If Manual is unbearable to the user then Auto is better than not hunting at all,I guess...JM2cents

Actually it was my understanding that one of the three channels cancels the ground out and you're actually run two channels in manual

(quote from Tnet) "it is believed by some that Explores and E-Trac process two of those frequencies with variations of frequency offset of those two in various combinations to find the quietest pair of the eleven options. "

Likewise in Auto a person would spend less time trying to diagnose a tone and trying to figure out if it's actually a tone or a false.

My personal experiences I have never noticed any depth gained whatsoever but just a more unstable machine in manual

Last edited:
Just because of threads like this I almost always switch from manual to auto on those real deep targets that are faint. The draped bust large cent I dug 3 weeks ago running manual it was at a measured 13" once dug, would not break threshold in Auto. The 1894 exposition token I just dug only broke threshold, but gave no real signal. Everyones dirt is different sure, but I will say again you are missing deep stuff if you are running only auto.

I will take the trade off of a few more falses so I have the much higher chance of digging what I am in this Hobbie to find, old coins and relics..

I am making sure I I am clear on this not to get in a argument or make people mad, but to help folks understand what they are doing and how they ARE missing deep targets.

Ignorance is bliss and you won't be sad you missed a target you never knew was there. I guess in the end as long as you are having fun by golly you are doing something right. Happy hunting all..

Last edited:
I don't think there is a single Vlf detector made,,,where "settings" wise where it has the most depth potential is actually running fully stable.

When a detector is made that is,,,,this will be the cat's meow,,as long as it is deep detector.

Just imagine,,,wonder if when Minelab released the explorer,,,wonder if they wouldn't have given as high an option for manual sensitivity,,,but lower.

Would Minelab have taken off so fast in USA for coin hunters???
Doubtful

And when the stories started be talked about at first,,,many who had no experience with them,,,,thought the truth was being stretched.

But,, what happened.

Eventually the non believers,,hunted with these folks,,,and guess what happened??

These coins found,,many of them were there the whole time,,,,coils were being swung over with other brands of detectors,,,some of the coins were actually detected tone wise,,,but ID likely showed lower conductor than high conductor coin,,,and were passed on.

EMI handling was also a bigger player here than some realize.

Back
Top Bottom