Ridiculously long post on how I find gold with the F2...

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
A member had a question about finding gold and silver at a cherry picked site with lots of trash because digging too much is affecting his health.
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=168478

Since I’ve been going at this new hobby way to hard my body needs to mend so I don’t compromise my ability to do my paying job… While my poor back and knees heal I want to plan a strategy for this community park I’ve found..

I’ve used my sniper coil on 3 trips with approx. 10 hours of labor. The tot lots are so clean I couldn’t find even a penny and I was surgical with my sweeping. All other areas showed hundreds of zinc penny signals pull tabs and can slaw with the very rare clad quarter or dime from the mid 70’s so it’s obvious it is or has been hit hard by selective hunters. Those 3 hunts yielded a load of pennies and trash, with two quarters and one dime.

If and when I return to this place I’m not really looking forward to digging a bunch of pennies and trash but wonder if it’s worth my time and effort to bother since it will tax my body horribly.

What would you seasoned coin shooters do?

I wrote another very long reply on how I would do it at this kind of site in his situation.
Most of this stuff I wrote about mentioning most of the same techniques and thinking in my 2 threads about hunting really trash basketball sites, but I went into more detail here and as far as advice I think there is some good stuff here so repeating something that can help others can only do good, I would think.
To that end I will post this advice here instead so maybe some other might see it, use it and find some great targets at one of their trashy sites.
It is F2 specific but I think most of it can translate for anyone that hunts with most detectors...the ones with screens and VDI numbers, at least.

Wonder what the chances are that a trashy but cherry picked site would yield gold or silver. I know there are no guarantees just trying to figure out the law of averages.

Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy...Let me make this a little easier for you.

First off, I have seen your threads and pics of your finds and all that you dig and you are doing well, even though you are very new at this.

Second, this is a hobby, not a job, it is supposed to be fun, have some positive benefits and for goodness sakes not hurt you!
If doing this hobby affects your body or other aspects of your life in a negative way something needs to be changed.
You are not a professional ball player where you are paid tons of money and feel you have to "play through the pain" to keep your job.

One obvious choice would be to find another site to hunt with less signals that would give you an easier time of it, but I can tell you that the percentages of finding gold would also be much lower
I can give you some tips on how to hunt and use the F2 to make this site much easier to hunt and give you a shot at finding something great by digging a small percentage of those targets...not all of them.

This sounds like a dream site to me...exactly the type of site that I look for because I am a jewelry hunter, I have learned that the trashiest sites can yield the most jewelry, and you have found no better place to hunt for gold than this one.
It is choice...a high percentage area...the best.

It sounds like hunters have cleaned out the tot lots and then moved to the dirt and found the easy high tones and left all the rest behind and that is a very good situation for those of us that know what to do to find gold and also any high tones that are still there because they are masked, and masking can be a big problem at sites like this.

Here is what I suggest you do.
I know you only have the 8" coil, to do what you need to do the easiest way to find gold and any silver left here it is imperative that you buy, beg, borrow or steal a sniper coil for your F2 ASAP.
Sites like this is what it was made for and where it really shines.
The target isolation aspects of this coil vs. your 8" is like a factor of 10 in heavy trash like you have here, and will make your job much easier...more easy than I can almost put into words.

These tips and techniques will work the best using that small coil, but try to attempt this with the bigger coil if that is all you have, it will still work, the sniper coil just makes it easier.

To find gold and avoid lots of the garbage you do have to dig a lot of signals, but there is a bunch of that you can avoid if you get good with that F2.

All the gold I have found with my F2 has been at solid, clear loud and sharp signals.
All of them.
I know that lots of guys have found gold with theirs and stated it was a real jumpy signal...4-6 8 numbers jumping and even section changing.
I have never seen this but there might be a couple of reasons why.

1. None of my gold has been deep, it has all been 4" or less in depth.
If their gold was found deeper, more near the edge of the scanning field, it definitely could have been a weaker, softer, much more jumpy signal.
For now at this site just pretend there is no deep gold here, that kind of jumpy signal we are going to ignore and just go for the more shallow stuff which is a higher possibility.

2. Lots of guys also have posted about many other targets that jumped 4 numbers or more, or that most of their targets do this.
I can tell you at first this is what signals looked like to me, too, especially in trashy areas and lots of those turned out to be good.
Over time I dug a ton of coins and trash and eventually I learned to work that 8" coil on all my targets to try to get the numbers on the screen to jump no more than 2, which has now become my rule for picking signals to dig.
Not all of them, some sound so solid I just get curious and have to dig them, but most signals that I can't get to stay stable I avoid and I am pretty confident I am not leaving a lot of good targets in the ground.
I have been able to get 99.9% of the good targets I dig to settle in to those 2 number jumps only, and at a site like this that is the exact ability you need to spend less energy digging bad signals and all of your energy digging better, higher percentage signals.

You might not be as good as I am at doing this with that 8" coil yet, it took me many, many hours swinging that coil and experimenting moving it around to gain this skill, and I dug probably thousands of targets, good and bad, learning how to do this, but you can try.
This is where the sniper coil comes into play, by the way.
This stuff is 10x's easier and much quicker using that coil, but the F2 has rapid recovery and great target separation in heavy trash even with that 8" coil so it can be done and I know because I have done it and found this nickel between these 2 pieces of trash and I have done this more than just this one time.
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=101465

masked nickel.jpg

The way to do this has become simple for me after so many hours.
Find an area where you think people hung out the most, or just pick another area with a bit less trash but that still has a bunch.
Where people hang out is where they drop the most trash but also better targets.
The more trash the better, these are high percentage areas vs. lower percentage cleaner areas, but keep in mind I have found gold at both trashy sites and also sites with very little trash at all.

Find an area with trash but maybe not inches away from each other to practice and learn this technique.
The better you get the more trashy sites you will be able to handle.
Swing slow and get a signal.
We are looking for a signal that sounds good, decently loud and clear, solid with maybe a sharp end like a shallow coin sounds...there is a good chance this might be a good target.
When you find one stop and examine it further.
To do this the first thing you do is try to get it centered under the coil.
Hit the pinpoint button and move that coil from about 8" away from this target to about where you thing that target lays and when you see the lowest numbers on the bottom of the screen stop.
Now that you are that area in your mind by staring directly at the middle of the coil make some very short side to side swipes over this target and look at the numbers.
Do they jump more than 2, are the depth bars on the right side of the screen stable or do they jump too?
If so keep your eye on the center of the coil and turn 90 degrees and do those short swipes from that angle, and slightly turn again if you need to.
I have found by doing this I can usually get most signals to calm down to be within that 2 number jump if I work that coil right on ALL good signals.
Most of the time I don't need to turn, I can get those numbers to not jump more than 3 or 4 and then get them down to 2 as I make those side to side swipes shorter and shorter as I approach them from one direction, but in the case of jewelry, coins on their sides, good targets that are right next to trash and other things that affect these signals turning and scanning from another direction can and will make a difference.
It did on this hunt.
I got a trash signal that jumped 4 numbers but after I turned I got it to 2 and dug the oldest and one of the nicest gold rings ever.
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=156771

old gold.jpg

I also did this just yesterday next to a very old house that I am sure has been hunted before because it is actually inside a public park.
This house has tons of junk in close proximity, iron, tabs, foil, pop tops, aluminum siding pieces, aluminum window screen parts, brass and all sorts of garbage, and there are very few high tones around this house at all because I believe it has been cherry picked.
You know what, I still found several high tone copper pennies and clad dimes just wandering around this thing but not gridding.
They were not easy to find, I swung my coil over areas and got huge jumps and a few tones because of the amount of trash and because it was so close together...and this was with the sniper coil, too.
As difficult as it was I still was able to hear a hint of a high tone in all that noise from time to time, (this is why it is important to listen to the tones even more importantly than looking at the numbers), saw some low 70 numbers flash on my screen, briefly, and by taking a few seconds to work that coil from different angles in shorter and shorter swipes I was able to get those numbers to stay within my criteria of 2.
Except for a few pieces of aluminum siding the rest were all coins and I am sure that if I come back to this side and pick out small areas to grid I just might find some silver coins here that all others missed, and at your site it would be exactly the same.
Masking is what we call this, and at your site, if it is an older one, all the silver might not have been found and this is the way you can find it.

Here is another great hunt I had at a very old 90 year old park with more trash than I have seen at any other park I have ever hunted except one or two others but still found silver and gold.
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=155174

Check out this pic...

masked quarter.jpg

This was a signal I got where I scanned the area and got a lot of noise and jumping but I still heard enough of a good piece of a high tone that repeated to stop, examine it, get a better more stable signal on that quarter and dig.
This quarter was in the same hole as these 3 tabs, a problem I had to deal with at more holes I opened at this site than I care to count.
Not only were these tabs close to this quarter, within an inch, I think one of them was laying at a level a little higher and at least partially or directly over the coin.
This wasn't the most solid of good coin signals I ever heard, but it was just good enough and I found that quarter where most others might not have.
Get good at listening to your F2 and you just might be able to find some leftover silver at your site.
I do have that 2 number jump limit and stick to it most of the time, but there are times that I don't because of something I heard in my headphones that triggered me to dig, rules be damned, and I was rewarded.
Here is a lesson on listening I posted, get good at this and you will find even more than you do now.
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=146749

You never know what is in the ground till you dig it so no matter how much I think I know or anyone else knows the fact is none of us really ever knows what is down there till we dig it, even with the best detectors in the world.
Superman, maybe, he has X-Ray vision, the rest of us not so much.
Here at this site we are trying to get you to find more by digging less so don't worry about digging the more jumpy signals like my examples for now.
You still want to get good at this listening skill, though, it can be nothing but an asset to you on all hunts when you get good at it.

The next thing to think about is how you want to approach this site to hunt it.
You can wander around a bit and try to find and dig the high percentage signals, or grid a spot, say 10X10 and go slow, overlap very heavily and dig the good signals you find in that small area.
This gridding thing is actually the way you find the most and not easy to find good targets left at hunted out areas, especially high tone silver, but to do this correctly it entails digging virtually everything you come across, good signals and trash, even the iffy ones, and will take hours even in this small area to do it right.
By digging in this matter not only will you find any of those high tones but maybe gold too, and more importantly by cleaning out all signals masking will not be such an issue when you scan the area again, and really the only way to find some of the good signals that others missed is by getting most of the garbage out of the way.
I did that at this site, targeted a small area I had hunted before as had others and found 3 gold rings.
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=125006

3 rings gold.jpg

You want to dig as least as possible so I would suggest the wandering method.
Maybe sometime you can grid and literally dig it all in the future when you are able to do this without hurting yourself, but for now just wander and look for those highest percentage signals that don't jump more than 2 if you can manage it.

Ok now that we know how to hunt, here is what you need to know about what signals to dig to find gold.
Knock out iron, you don't need to worry about that for now.
Of course you will want to dig all the high tones at this site for sure, (obviously), but this is my gold finding method in trashy and zinc penny laden sites.

We can eliminate lots of that trash right off the bat because no matter how hard you try, how good you get at that short side to side swiping technique, some trash will just never calm down enough to stay within that 2 number jump area...thankfully.
This would be irregular shaped trash like foil, lots of can slaw, targets with holes like some tabs on edge and other junk.
There is a ton of trash that will not be like this, tabs that are perpendicular to the coil in the ground and shallow, some zinc screw on caps, coin shaped foil like sports drink cap inserts, other foil like gum wrappers and condiment packages, can slaw in certain shapes and more will actually all come in solid within that 2 number jump if you work at it.
That is just the way of the world in this hobby, and sorry to say but most of the gold I have found and dug was only because I did dig this solid trash signal stuff, and at all ranges from 24 foil on up.
If it was easy to spot the great gold targets like we can find a quarter at 1 inch deep we would all be finding way more gold than you see posted on this site, but it is just not that easy at all, the universe is just not that good to us.
Gold is, has been and most of the time will be mostly disguised as something else and usually trash, in my experience, (most chains of any kind, too), so digging those solid trash signals is what you need to wrap your head around doing if you want the best shot at finding it.
Again, when I say I am a dig it all hunter I mean I am a dig it all solid signal digger, not every blasted target I come across unless I am doing that gridding thing and digging literally everything which is something I rarely do.
I usually wander around or if I do grid I still hit only the solid signals, at least at first, and I have been very successful at finding gold doing this.
You need to do this at this site

I wish I can tell you what the best numbers would be to find gold...but I cant.
Except in the case of large rings like the 4 class rings I have found, I have dug gold rings at most numbers from 24 foil, and on up through the higher 20's, most of the 30's, all ranges in the 40's and on up into the low 50's.

Those really big class rings and other large gold rings like some old style wide and thick wedding rings will usually come in at numbers that range from 48-52.
The 4 class rings I have found so far have been in that range, anyway.
So does my old style, large 14k wedding band.
If you have a ton of zinc signals at this site, which I assume you do, this is another good tip to to eliminate lots of useless energy digging actual zincolns and have a better chance to find big gold rings, instead.
You will probably find lots of can slaw of a decent size at these numbers, I have found a ton, but I don't regret digging even one of those pieces of trash because at least 4 times these numbers were something way better and digging all I come across at those particular numbers and all the effort needed to find these 4 great targets works for me and I consider well worth it.

my four class rings.jpg

The biggest class gold ring I ever found, close to 20 grams and so big that one half size larger a quarter would have easily passed through it, still came in at only the 51-52 range.
I must mention that some gold can come in higher, big rings that are high karat and purer than these 10k class rings and some high karat smaller ones too, gold coins and other gold targets also, but these are so rare that if we are attacking this site using rules of percentages the chances of you coming across one of these type of targets is possible, but again, rare.
Plus, there are all kinds of targets that are not gold but still come in at higher zinc numbers like rare tokens and some other things...but again this is rare.

Don't dig a lot of real zincoln numbers in the high 50's to the low 60's for now, save those for another time and concentrate on targets in the low 50's and below to find that gold from a very large size down to smaller.

I must also tell you that not all F2's seem to be calibrated the same out of the factory, or the fact that we all hunt in different areas of the country with different soil might affect these numbers I mention throughout this post.
What is a solid nickel for me, a 33, might be a 32 for another F2 owner, a dime that comes in at my usual 73 might be a more normal 74 for someone else so keep this in mind.
All the F2's are pretty close, but you need to learn what YOUR numbers are on your F2 and what is normal...all F2 owners need to do this because they all might be slightly different.
So also keep that in mind.

There you have it.
A few good tips on how I would hunt this site, dig the least targets possible but still have the highest chance of finding gold.

If you do try this I hope it works because it just might.

Digger27,
Another great post on the F2!!!

Believe me, what digger27 says about how to go about finding gold and coins is correct-maybe not the way others do it, but you cant argue with his results. I am a newbie F2 user and his hints/tips do work. Check out my picture gallery for the 14K 10.28g gold wedding band I found using his tips.

I also dig every solid, repeatable hit that I get, no matter where they fall on the VDI's scale. Sure I dig some trash but so what, hidden in there might be my next gold ring or my first silver ring. I have adapted many of his techniques to work for me and my F2.

I dont have as many hours using the F2 as digger27 but have quite a few (I'd say about 50+hrs) and I am starting to "hear" what the F2 is telling me. It is also starting to show in my finds. I hunt a very trashy park that others detect and am still able to pull some nice stuff in by adapting his methods.

If digger27 doesnt watch out I might just catch up to him in the gold count!! LOL!!!

Good Luck and Happy Hunting to ALL!!!

Digger27,
Another great post on the F2!!!

Believe me, what digger27 says about how to go about finding gold and coins is correct-maybe not the way others do it, but you cant argue with his results. I am a newbie F2 user and his hints/tips do work. Check out my picture gallery for the 14K 10.28g gold wedding band I found using his tips.

I also dig every solid, repeatable hit that I get, no matter where they fall on the VDI's scale. Sure I dig some trash but so what, hidden in there might be my next gold ring or my first silver ring. I have adapted many of his techniques to work for me and my F2.

I dont have as many hours using the F2 as digger27 but have quite a few (I'd say about 50+hrs) and I am starting to "hear" what the F2 is telling me. It is also starting to show in my finds. I hunt a very trashy park that others detect and am still able to pull some nice stuff in by adapting his methods.

If digger27 doesnt watch out I might just catch up to him in the gold count!! LOL!!!

Good Luck and Happy Hunting to ALL!!!

Use my methods and way of thinking and by all means pass me by in great finds.
Trust me, I couldn't feel more happy, satisfied or proud if you did.
That's why I post this stuff, so others can maybe learn from my experiences and do exactly that.

As far as this stuff working for me, it does or I wouldn't write about it.
2 gold finds in the last week, 9 in total since Jan 1 of this year, 23 gold targets found in 3.5 years since I started, (and for the first 2 years or so I didn't know this stuff), and I hunt only in dirt at public places like parks and schools.

You're "The Man"
I shall keep reading and re-reading your posts while I rest here...
My mind needs a younger body to control since it's hard reading when it's so nice outside.

I do have the sniper coil. Got it a few weeks ago and it's all I use...

I wonder though why my gold wedding band laying flat or on end levels out as tab 39-40 instead of nickel?

Use my methods and way of thinking and by all means pass me by in great finds.
Trust me, I couldn't feel more happy, satisfied or proud if you did.
That's why I post this stuff, so others can maybe learn from my experiences and do exactly that.

I'm trying, I'm trying!!! LOL!!!:lol:

You have been of great help to me and I think i can say this to all the other F2 users as well.

You're "The Man"
I shall keep reading and re-reading your posts while I rest here...
My mind needs a younger body to control since it's hard reading when it's so nice outside.

I do have the sniper coil. Got it a few weeks ago and it's all I use...

I wonder though why my gold wedding band laying flat or on end levels out as tab 39-40 instead of nickel?

ALL GOLD TARGETS WILL BE DIFFERENT!

Anything you have ever read that said you must dig nickel to find gold is not exactly correct.
Yes, many gold rings will come in there, it is a common area for common size gold rings, but don't think that is where they all come in because they don't.
Far from it, actually.
I have found many rings at nickel, many at foil and many more at tabs.
Also don't forget those 4 class rings at low zinc.
It all depends on the size, karat purity, alloys and even how it might be laying in the soil will affect all readings.
Your ring came in at tabs because it was supposed to come in at tabs according to physics and it's conductivity for a ring that shape, size and karat value.
Test a million more rings exactly like yours and they will all come in at the exact same numbers.

This is what I am trying to get across to you in this post.
Gold can come in anywhere from iron on small clasps on thin gold chains all the way up into way past zinc into the high tones if it is big and/or pure enough.

Here is where gold and other things can show up in our md world.
Notice it is virtually...everywhere.
Why do you think I said dig all solid signals that don't jump more than two numbers?
I didn't mean just at nickel, I meant knock out iron on the F2 and dig all solid signals like this no matter where they show up.

vdi scale.jpg

Here are 2 different rigs that are similar.
One is white gold and larger than the one that is yellow gold...a 35 on the F2.
If they were both 10 k yellow the bigger ring would have come in higher.
White gold is alloyed with another metal, in this case I suspect nickel, so even though it is the larger ring it came in way lower at 24.

twins.jpg

This will give you an idea on exactly where I found those and many more of mine.
Not all were found with the F2, but the ones that weren't were air tested to see what numbers they do come in on the F2.

Attachments

• vdi f2 rings newestnew new2.jpg
    vdi f2 rings newestnew new2.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 958
One of the best parts of your post is mentioning that all F2s may not act exactly the same, especially in different areas. The trick, then, is to dig ALL the solid, repeatable signals; you can’t miss the good stuff then. :)

This was kinda aimed at the F2 users, or anyone else that has those VDI numbers, but if you know what a solid signal is on any detector you swing, this stuff should work.
As a matter of fact I know it works, I listened to that digger27 guy, did what he said to do, and found more gold today!
That guy is on fire lately!
I am sure he will post about this find later.

Thank you Digger27 for taking the time to write this wonderful tutorial. You've been a big help to me from day 1 when I was overwhelmed and fretting over my F2 purchase when I couldn't find even a penny with it. There sure was a learning curve with this hobby I quickly realized. Now me & the F2 are best buds; it speaks to me as I learn it's secret language. I'm one whose machine apparently is calibrated different than yours as my numbers for things like pull tab versus a real nickel is off a few numbers from yours. I'm wondering if the machine needs to be recalibrated ever so often because mine is now reading quarters as dimes quite regularly but usually when the quarter is on it's side? I'm trying to pay more attention to numbers because I did get into a pattern where I don't look at the screen but just go by the sounds so maybe it's always been reading off. When I put the rain guard on it it is near impossible to read the screen through the plastic anyway.

Is there any pattern to where you find class rings? I hunt schools a lot and am surprised I've not come across a class ring after over 2 years in hobby. Actually I'm still waiting on my first real gold find as I've only metal detected plated gold or silver rings thus far. I found one 14K gold wedding band eyeball find at a gas station last Spring, so that is my only true gold but ca't claim that as a detectorist. I keep digging good solid loud nickel and zinc and have found junk rings that way. I have to admit I am still a little lazy about digging all strong foil and pulltabs because when I have done it I keep coming up with wadded up foil used to wrap hotdogs at the concession stand. Drives me crazy!:lol: There is one old park others have pretty much given up on detecting it is so hunted out mainly thanks to me and the sniper coil I cleaned out all the clad others had been missing with their clunky ancient Whites and Bounty Hunters. I'm gonna go back some weekend and hunt for jewelry that others have missed since I never see detectorists there anymore.

Thank you Digger27 for taking the time to write this wonderful tutorial. You've been a big help to me from day 1 when I was overwhelmed and fretting over my F2 purchase when I couldn't find even a penny with it. There sure was a learning curve with this hobby I quickly realized. Now me & the F2 are best buds; it speaks to me as I learn it's secret language.

I remember.
You were frustrated, but you worked at it a few weeks and it all worked out as it usually does.

I'm one whose machine apparently is calibrated different than yours as my numbers for things like pull tab versus a real nickel is off a few numbers from yours. I'm wondering if the machine needs to be recalibrated ever so often because mine is now reading quarters as dimes quite regularly but usually when the quarter is on it's side?

I get some weird numbers when some coins are on their side, too.
I assume that is normal.

I'm trying to pay more attention to numbers because I did get into a pattern where I don't look at the screen but just go by the sounds so maybe it's always been reading off. When I put the rain guard on it it is near impossible to read the screen through the plastic anyway.

Sound is everything to me.
I never look at the screen till I hear a solid tone first.

Is there any pattern to where you find class rings? I hunt schools a lot and am surprised I've not come across a class ring after over 2 years in hobby.

There are hunters that have done this 3 or 4 decades and never found a class ring.
There is a certain amount of luck in finding these large and specialized rings I would think.
I found 4, but I have dug every zinc signal in all ranges from the day I started doing this and I might be a little luckier than most.

I found one in front of a picnic pavilion, one in an area where scouts hang out, one on the sideline area of a high school football field and one in front of an abandoned grade school.
That last one bounced down an embankment under a small bridge about a half mile away from where I found it.
I have no idea how it got to where I dug it from where it was lost.

I keep digging good solid loud nickel and zinc and have found junk rings that way. I have to admit I am still a little lazy about digging all strong foil and pulltabs because when I have done it I keep coming up with wadded up foil used to wrap hotdogs at the concession stand. Drives me crazy!:lol:

I have dug a million pull tabs and enough foil to cover a Thanksgiving day float.
Look at the picture below of every gold target I have ever dug.

1 at iron
5 at zinc...low
7 at nickel...all ranges
8 at foil...all ranges from 24 on up
2 at tabs...low and high ranges

I am lazy too, but not when it comes to digging solid signals when I hunt.
ALL solid signals.
I didn't used to, but as I found gold target after target at new numbers I had to dig those numbers from then on.
I have now dug gold at most ranges so that is why I consider myself a dig-it-all solid signal digger nowadays.
I cringe to think what I might have missed in the old days before I dug all these signals in these ranges.

There is one old park others have pretty much given up on detecting it is so hunted out mainly thanks to me and the sniper coil I cleaned out all the clad others had been missing with their clunky ancient Whites and Bounty Hunters. I'm gonna go back some weekend and hunt for jewelry that others have missed since I never see detectorists there anymore.

If all the clad is gone go back and dig trash in the ranges you see where my gold came in from time to time.
Most everything you dig will be trash, but there is a chance not every one will be trash.
A small one but a chance.

Attachments

• all gold to 10-5-13.jpg
    all gold to 10-5-13.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 809
Back
Top Bottom