"Sharing" spots......

Chihlidog

So I'm really noticing on this forum people are a lot more open about their location than I've seen on other forums. I really like that, and it makes me wonder, is this place the exception to the general "rule" so to speak?

In other words, among most MD'ers, what's the culture as far as cluing other hunters in on sites or potential sites? Obviously here there doesnt seem to be much issue sharing, but is that the norm?

I also see a lot of buddying up here, whereas most other places I've read seems to be quite a solo endeavor. I can see it both ways. Just curious.

I usually hunt alone, but enjoy hunting with others when I can. I usually don't mind sharing locations etc, but if I had a honey hole, it would be my lil secret...lol

Detecting solo has its place and its time and detecting with a group as many of us already know is a lot more fun and enjoyable, regardless of the drive or the finds that we recover. It's the friendships that we find along the way that make this hobby so enjoyable.

I share all my info. I know I'm not gonna find every buried coin at a park, but if I can help a few people out that might find a few I missed then it's worth it. Just this weekend two guys came up to the park I've been hunting and they both took home multiple silvers. It was a win win for all of us.

I had a friend in the bass club and while others would not share the lure, spot, or method they were using Dave always said I can take you to the spot and show what I am doing and using and I will still catch plenty of fish, He was right and we would have a good time.

I always try and share a spot. and would hope someone would also share with me

I share 90% of my spots with my hunting buddies, and they do the same for me. I am always thrilled to see someone pull something good from a spot I've shown them. I am really starting to enjoy group hunting, more ground gets covered, and we always have a good time regardless of the finds.

Detecting solo has its place and its time and detecting with a group as many of us already know is a lot more fun and enjoyable, regardless of the drive or the finds that we recover. It's the friendships that we find along the way that make this hobby so enjoyable.

Summed it up for me right there.

Most of us hunt public spots, so what's the reason for keeping it a secret? I'm happy to take new hunters to a spot, I just tell them they have to hunt behind me. :laughing:

iam sure we all have a spot we keep to ourselfs but it is much more fun to share the hunt with others. I feel that we could always learn something new

Depends on the "Spot"

As a gold prospector, I never share my patch locations. They are not renewable. Once the gold is collected, that's it - forever. My Brother told his friend about one of our patches once, and when we went out there two weeks later it looked like a moonscape with holes everywhere.

As a metal detectorist I sometimes share my locations. However, If I have put several hours of research into a site, then spent a week raking it off, nobody even knows about it until I'm done with it. But huge public parks and beaches? Why not?

I do like meeting and guiding new hobbyists, and I actually get a charge when people I'm hunting with make a great find. I think that positive energy flows through the entire group. That said, I'm not a 'club' guy. I like to pick and choose who I hunt with.

I share info and spots most of the time. If I take some folks with me that have to know the rules.....I keep what they find..lol...just joking. I share most of the time but there is a couple of spots that the wife and I are going to hunt for a while before inviting others.

would love to hunt with others, but i am always on the run and out of sync with the others.. kind of impromptu hunting.

As a gold prospector, I never share my patch locations. They are not renewable. Once the gold is collected, that's it - forever. My Brother told his friend about one of our patches once, and when we went out there two weeks later it looked like a moonscape with holes everywhere.

As a metal detectorist I sometimes share my locations. However, If I have put several hours of research into a site, then spent a week raking it off, nobody even knows about it until I'm done with it. But huge public parks and beaches? Why not?

I do like meeting and guiding new hobbyists, and I actually get a charge when people I'm hunting with make a great find. I think that positive energy flows through the entire group. That said, I'm not a 'club' guy. I like to pick and choose who I hunt with.

Well said Terry...also why is best not to post ones location on the forum.

I've just started getting into the research part of detecting. So far I'm 1 for 1 on succesful hunts due to the research I've done. My friend Wingizzmo shared a couple hot spots with me even before we ever met. That made a big impression on me and I'm glad he was open to helping me. I think it's great that people here are so open to sharing and I'd be happy to return the favor when I find a really good spot. I think that's what makes a lot of us more successful. Not to mention the fact that you get to make new friends, which I think is a part of what having a hobby is all about!

I had a member from Ohio PM me & ask if I wanted to hunt his SUPREME secret spot at a local beach....which happens to be less than 5 minutes from MY house, but it's a 2 HOUR drive from his!

things like that make this forun GREAT

btw I found some clad, he spent much more time & found a bunch of silver

I wouldn't have any problem at all sharing spots with someone. I have yet to hunt with anyone else but have been in contact with a forum member and have been lucky enough to secure us both permission to hunt what should be an extremely opportunistic site. Now it's just finding the time for us to meet. I look forward to meeting others from the forum. That's how lasting friendships are made. If you're worried about losing a couple of finds to someone else then you're in the wrong hobby. Cherish your friendships and the rest is just gravy...

So it seems this forum really is more of an exception. Unless I've just mistaken the few other forums I've browsed. I really like the attitudes here a lot :)

Back
Top Bottom