XP Deus - MI-6 Pinpointer My Thoughts

AZWIP

Elite Member
Howdy folks, figured I'd drop a few lines with one guys thoughts on the MI-6 PP.

Ok, so far, like it lots. Its my new goto.

The one thing I don't like, is where the On/Off button is... me being mostly a night hunter... I do find myself hunting the button from time to time lol. Maybe over more time this will no longer be a thing.

Otherwise, for me anyways, I really like this so far... used with the XP Deus, and sensitivity set to 45, it does reach a bit further than the Carrot. Not quite as far as the TRX. Which for me is exactly what I was looking for (I know everyone is different, which is cool, this is just regarding what I like in this case).... something that would reach a bit further than my Carrot, and still have the 360 abilities... this does.

I think the reach is similar to the carrot when used as a standalone PP.

I "like" the TRX, but a bit "too" sensitive for me anyways, plus I really like the 360 abilities... its what I'm used to I guess. My TRX is a loaner... again not knocking it (its quite sensitive)... just not for my style of hunting.

Back to the MI-6, used with the XP Deus, I just enjoy the heck out of it... for me, perfect reach/sensitivity at 45... I also like it can be recharged and that that time between charges is pretty much up there.... have not tested that yet, but they claim up to 90 hrs. I think if connected to DEUS and perhaps LED turned off. Heck if they even get close to that, thats pretty good.

Seems to be built solid, and "about" same size as Carrot... fits nicely in my B2 holder as did the carrot.

One thing I really like is running it in Pitch mode... it seems I am on target with just somewhat better accuracy... coincidence or not... for me thats just the case. The carrot etc are great Pinpointers, but for me and used with the DEUS... this hits the nail on the head. I really like it.

the Pitch sound (you can go to the normal beeps if u want, easy to configure) for me, did take some getting used to... but that took no time at all. Just really like the way it sounds off when u are truly the closest to the object.

Bottom line, glad i picked one up, will be my new go to now, especially when used with the DEUS.

Oh yeah, the LED could be a "Tad" brighter... don't get me wrong, its fine the way it is... but, IMO its just a notch dimmer than the carrot. Still fine though.

Summary:

2 Cons : LED Could be brighter
On/Off button could be easier to get at, when doing so by feel
in the dark

Pros :
When paired with DEUS, mine reached further than carrot
Like can recharge and how long a charge should last
Like the Pitch, puts me on target with more accuracy (smaller holes)
Like how it quiets the XP DEUS when its turned on.
Switching between DEUS and PP is quick and vice versa

There are of course all the other features, similar to other higher end
pin pointers (for lack of a better term, lol).... I won't go into them as most know what they are... can use in water (to a certain depth), can search for it if lost, can adjust sensitivity etc...

So, just wanted to weigh in on my thoughts about the MI-6, take em with a grain of salt, just one guys opinion. Lol

Happy Hunting Ya'll!

Ron
-------

Nice review.
Thanks for sharing.

I think my use of mine cuts down on target time recovery.
Adds up, allows for more actual coil time.

I noticed you mentioned that the MI-6 isn't as deep as the TRX. Do me a favor. Turn your pinpointer on and then look at the XP remote. You're on the pinpoint screen, right? Now go into the pinpointer settings on your remote and crank the sensitivity up to 50. The default is 30. At 30, you would be correct, it's not quite as deep. But at 50, you should be getting a full 4" or better.

Edit: I should have read all the way through. I just noticed you had it set at 45 sensitivity. In my soil, a sensitivity of 50 blows the TRX away in terms of sheer depth.

Yup

Hmm, now I'm gonna try the TRX again against the MI-6 set at 50, lol, just curious now.

Again, all good in their own way and depending on who wants what from what.

Happy Hunting ya'll!

Thanks for the review, I'm seriously thinking about getting one. Hearing it thru the headphones would be great.

Oops, didn't mean to double post....

Yup

Just a quick update, yes indeed, I set the MI-6 to 50 and it reached further than the TRX (!) on a nickel.

Pleasantly surprised.

For my needs, 45 is plenty good enough though, lol.

And again when used as standalone , still rocks with pulling a hair further than my Carrot.

Again, all good units... personal prefs for folks.... for me, the MI-6 remains my goto, I really like the pitch for sound... again, thats just me.

Ya'll have fun with whatever you use... fun hobby.

Happy hunting!

I have issue with the on/off button too, it seems to me it would be easier to use if the button were on the other side. It is also sometimes difficult to turn off because you have to hold the button. Have you had any times when you turned the Mi6 off and the deus took a long time to wake back up? this happens less with 4.1 but still happens to mine every so often.

Hmmm

Hmmm, have not seen that happen yet. Or if it did happen I didn’t notice it. Lol, quite possible.

Nope, so far the switching between the two has been smooth and quick imo.

One other neat little thing...

Oh yeah, almost forgot... sort of a neat little "feature" (for me anyways, lol)...

We all know already you can use this pinpointer as a standalone and get a bit more of reach than the Carrot... BUT... you can also (assuming you have the XP DEUS) take your remote off the XP and (for example) keep it in your shirt pocket... and now you can use your MI-6 with all that additional reach (if thats what u like) using any of your other detectors... kind of neat.

For example when I take my Vaquero out... I can pop the remote of the XP into my top shirt pocket and hunt with the Vaq but use the MI-6 with its remote to help find those deeper items etc.

Anyways, I thought that was kind of neat. Using it standalone its no slouch.... but pair it up with its remote and, get its max depth (especially when set to 45 or better).

Anyhow, not sure if everyone knew that... heck I didn't think about until this evening, so gave it shot, yup, unreal.

I know this little feature is only for those that have an XP DEUS and other machines... but cool nonetheless. Lol I know some folks have said its a bit quiet for them, but if you have multiple machines... and use the remote with the MI-6, not too quiet then. Anyways... just thought I'd mention that if anyone had wondered about that, lol.

Happy hunting ya'll!!

Back
Top Bottom