• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Equinox 800 vs Bounty Hunter......

Maybe I should share this here.
When I get a detector, I want to know what are its strongest suits.
And what its mediocre suits are.
And where is the detector weaker in performance.

I take all this information and store it in my noggin.
And use accordingly.

Great analysis! (And your follow up post too). I totally agree. Many years ago when I lived in MI, I'd get the strangest looks bringing my beach machine to a site that was allegedly "Cleaned out". The change in equipment didn't disapoint.

Last summer, here in Florida, I skipped a dry sand area that I frequently see detected and opted for the low tide area. I then watched a guy with a beat up bounty hunter go through the dry. We met about 45 minutes later and he had scored nearly $12 in change. I had less than a buck. :lol:

Agreed! Running the best machine you can afford, being satisfied with it and enjoying the experience instead of worrying about the "big" find is what it's all about
I agree as well. I still enjoyed my time out on the hunt. Sometimes I lose sight of what it's all about and need a reminder that is for sure.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Here's one.

A situation where an experienced detectorist could be too cute, only to let a supposed rookie come behind and hit pay dirt.

http://www.dankowskidetectors.com/discussions/read.php?2,142652

Here is actual story of experienced vs rookie.
Notice who hit the pay dirt.
Steve Herschbach Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You get the dual tones with mono also, just the di
> sc control does not work on GPX or a ATX unless yo
> u run a DD. I talk big but fact is when I am tired
> I cherry pick tones. On a GPX or ATX almost all go
> ld nuggets (and bullets) will give a hi-lo tone. S
> mall ferrous also goes hi-lo but by not digging th
> e lo-hi tones you can avoid big deep ferrous and t
> he worst of the deep hole digging.
>
> It can bite you in the butt though. I passed up a
> lo-hi target that sounded like a coffee can. A new
> bie that did not know better dug it and got the 25
> ounce nugget I was on. And now you know why I am v
> ery skeptical of cherry picking with a PI. It can
> cost you the find of a lifetime. But I get too tir
> ed, I do it anyway.

I hear you, most stuff around here is five inches deep and then rock below that so no more sinking at that point. Location is key most of the time.

The city bought the area and made it a wilderness. Probably because they didn't want to do a renovation that would destroy so many trees, plus to put active recreation features over a large part of it would be quite costly, and maybe nobody is asking for such facilities. Some parks never get developed, as those living next to it complain about noise, or strangers in area, or getting their taxes raised. Maybe archies and historical orgs detected it, too.

A Bounty Hunter that may be only capable of 6" may be fine if an area isn't renovated, but big cities can't just leave their parks alone until something is broken, or they might get their budget cut and some may become unemployed.

Even more than heavy detecting for decades ruins detecting in most cities that have several or more parks and a park & rec dept. They replace almost everything every decade or two. I think maybe professional archaeologists and historical societies often get the gift of the top foot or two, maybe hundreds of thousands in old coins & relics.

My county told me metal detecting was not allowed in their parks when I wanted to detect one that I thought had a ghost town on it. They told me the ghost town was just near the park. They told me if they went ahead and built a park on a ghost town without letting the archaeologist check it first, the archaeologist would have the right to dig up the whole park. So some parks are cleaned out even before they are parks.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom