Anyone have any luck selling NIFC halves or impaired proofs?

Here is my take on them. When I was searching boxes, the kids and I would try to fill up the album to make a complete set because otherwise they would get bored searching and not finding silver.

In doing those searches, we used to pull out any proofs or NIFCs that we found. However, eventually we just dumped them all back. I guess its possible that you could find someone who would be interested in buying them, an impaired proof on a common Kennedy or a NIFC that isn't mint state - is worth 50c. and not even worth keeping.

There are hoards of all of those coins so they aren't worth holding onto. It is interesting that people would pay a premium for NIFC coins from the mint and then spend them, but it could be that they didn't pass muster or they were dumped by someone who didn't buy them.

Haven't seen any on Craigslist but many on eBay. Just curious, thanks

Your Local Coin Club meetings have an auction..theres an active CC in GR or you can come over to the MKG one and put things up on the auction table, I will be your host...Thats probably the best...a room full of Old Numistmatists with lots of money? Buy, Sell, Trade? You gotta love that!

Attachments

• coins 1214.jpg
    coins 1214.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 979
  • coin club2.jpg
    coin club2.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 971
Your Local Coin Club meetings have an auction..theres an active CC in GR or you can come over to the MKG one and put things up on the auction table, I will be your host...Thats probably the best...a room full of Old Numistmatists with lots of money? Buy, Sell, Trade? You gotta love that!
Thanks for the invite MP. I joined our local CC but it's a little dry, most discussions involve only coin grading. Your's sounds a bit more interesting.

Here is my take on them. When I was searching boxes, the kids and I would try to fill up the album to make a complete set because otherwise they would get bored searching and not finding silver.

In doing those searches, we used to pull out any proofs or NIFCs that we found. However, eventually we just dumped them all back. I guess its possible that you could find someone who would be interested in buying them, an impaired proof on a common Kennedy or a NIFC that isn't mint state - is worth 50c. and not even worth keeping.

There are hoards of all of those coins so they aren't worth holding onto. It is interesting that people would pay a premium for NIFC coins from the mint and then spend them, but it could be that they didn't pass muster or they were dumped by someone who didn't buy them.
Agreed. Any proof taken from a box or bank roll is considered "impaired", because it hit circulation (when it may have not been truly in circulation), but has been removed from its mint wrapper, and has hit the bag, rolling machine, or even bare human hands. Collectors buy NIFC rolls from the mint and cherry pick a few fine examples, normally dumping the rest. I

On the impaired Proofs, KT came across an active member of a local coin club, they have a lot of younger members who are wanting to purchase coins relatively inexpensively. KT told him that His Majesty had hoards of proofs and rolls of NIFCs in halves and he said, "If you ever wish to dispose of those, bring them to me and I will sell them for you at the Club meetings, which are held once a month. KT suspects in rolls he could get twice face value for the proofs and for the NIFCs around 75 cents per coin by the roll. He would take 10% for selling, and was anxious for KT to bring him some. So far KT is satisfied to continue to hoard these coins on speculation. Just hanging in there and waiting for the mint to finally end the Kennedy halves series. in 2014 was the 50 year anniversary of that run, and if you check around, few of the larger denomination coins ever ran that long! If it is changed, then those NIFCs will begin to increase in value.

So to answer your question, yes, there is a niche market for those coins. KT did find a collector a couple of years back that wanted some certain dates of NIFCs (2010 and later), and traded $50 in face value for $70 in silver value in war nickels. So those folks are out there!

If KT ever decides to dispose of those coins, He would just join the local coin club and bring a few rolls every meeting to sell! HA HA

Back
Top Bottom