• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Could use a bit of "Safari" help.

Curbdog

Elite Member
First of all, I am a bit late but new to the FBS way of doing things. One of the first things I ordered was the Andy Sabisch handbook for the Quattro/Safari. It hasn't arrived yet but I plan on reading it thoroughly.

Until then, I have a couple questions and I appreciate the forum's help!

The "thunks." I've taken the advice to run in ferrous tones and to seek the 30-40 signals right off the bat. Also running in "auto sensitivity" for now. I'll get some nice sounding targets and not all are deep but I'll get a "thunk" thrown in. Most of the ones I dug were non-ferrous junk. I've heard anything from "it's just the threshold dropping off" to "it's attempting to signal rejection." Ideas?

Rechargeable batteries : I got a set of Panasonic 2000 Mah eneloops to run in the battery pack. Got a bit worried when 3-4 hours in, the meter dropped by a bar. I've heard that rechargeables will drop one for the top charge and then run consistently after that. Maybe looking for a bit of feedback......and assurance that it's what they're "supposed to do?"

You guys are great and I appreciate your time! HH

First of all, I am a bit late but new to the FBS way of doing things. One of the first things I ordered was the Andy Sabisch handbook for the Quattro/Safari. It hasn't arrived yet but I plan on reading it thoroughly.

Until then, I have a couple questions and I appreciate the forum's help!

The "thunks." I've taken the advice to run in ferrous tones and to seek the 30-40 signals right off the bat. Also running in "auto sensitivity" for now. I'll get some nice sounding targets and not all are deep but I'll get a "thunk" thrown in. Most of the ones I dug were non-ferrous junk. I've heard anything from "it's just the threshold dropping off" to "it's attempting to signal rejection." Ideas?

Rechargeable batteries : I got a set of Panasonic 2000 Mah eneloops to run in the battery pack. Got a bit worried when 3-4 hours in, the meter dropped by a bar. I've heard that rechargeables will drop one for the top charge and then run consistently after that. Maybe looking for a bit of feedback......and assurance that it's what they're "supposed to do?"

You guys are great and I appreciate your time! HH

Try slowing your swing down some to eliminate thunk.
wow, I louse a bar within the first hour of hunting but never ran out of juice on a two day hunt. 14 is a good nickel number.

The Handbook should arrive today. Will definitely read.

I'm finding out just how slow it needs to be swung. Even with high trash setting "on" one needs to slow it down. The site I dug the 1901 Indian cent out of, had square nails and modern trash to contend with.

When I heard in a vid. that it was that it was caused by "a target disc'g out" that sure tainted things. I have to recover some targets now! :lol:

Appreciate it, guys!

thunk is targets at edge of detection

Notice he said "target"....not necessarily a coin but could be! Watch numbers or Smart screen closely to see if it's anywhere near the coin range...I've found this happens to me more in Manual Sens. Just my own observation.

Back
Top Bottom