• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Tesoro Vaquero... rust is HEAVY!

-andrew-

Hi all,

So, after not doing much for a few years, I took my Vaquero (standard concentric coil) to the beach and had a lot of fun. Mostly clad.

Anyway, I felt like I had to do some detecting this evening, so went out in my backyard. Then it all came back to me... like when I started, I got nice, solid-sounding hits with the discrimination near the top - and except for a 2015 quarter, just pulled a bunch of very rusty old stuff. Pica attached... I lightened it up so the detail would show. FWIW our house and the one next door are built on a small piece of land where there was a stone farmhouse. The farmhouse was eventually the sales office for the community. There is, I imagine, "old farm stuff" all over the place, which apparently can rust :)

So... I thought I had ground balancing down, and sure, some rusty stuff can be cool, but I can't seem to find a way to stop getting false hits on this heavy rusty stuff... any tips appreciated!

Attachments

• detector finds september 4.jpg
    detector finds september 4.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 727
They (Tesoro) also like small diecast cars, and aluminum cans. There's no detector out there that will identify accurately all the time.

Lift your coil, if you're 6" off the ground and it's squealing like porky pig, you're over a large signal, or a surface coin. Using a probe is another option.

Digging nothing but coins/jewelry won't happen, regardless of detector. Remove the trash, and work your way towards the better stuff.

They (Tesoro) also like small diecast cars, and aluminum cans. There's no detector out there that will identify accurately all the time.

Lift your coil, if you're 6" off the ground and it's squealing like porky pig, you're over a large signal, or a surface coin. Using a probe is another option.

Digging nothing but coins/jewelry won't happen, regardless of detector. Remove the trash, and work your way towards the better stuff.

Very well put. :lol::lol:

Lifting the coil and checking the response is great advice. I remember that there was a nuance to the tone a bit as well to indicate rusty/ big iron.

So I see you have a lot of Tesoro detectors, including the Vaquero. I did find a slightly used Whites M6 to purchase but I was really looking seriously at either the Vaquero or Outlaw.
Seems as if Whites is not coming up with any winning detectors in the mid range models.

So I see you have a lot of Tesoro detectors, including the Vaquero. I did find a slightly used Whites M6 to purchase but I was really looking seriously at either the Vaquero or Outlaw.
Seems as if Whites is not coming up with any winning detectors in the mid range models.

I'm unfamiliar with Whites, but if you're looking for something TID (screen), take a serious look at the DeLeon, it's one of my favorites (and was my 1st Tesoro). No manual ground balance, so would depend on your area.

Vaquero (has manual ground balance) is an awesome detector as well, and you can find plenty of posts (use forum search function) showing such.

All that said, recently I've been using my ground balance modded Cibola (no ground balance from factory, but can be added), and I forgot how smooth it ran. It's another you could use search function for info. With the GB mod, many claim it's a better detector than the Vaq. I certainly wouldn't argue that statement.

I would have like to tried an Outlaw (the 3 coil pkg), but I have to draw the line somewhere....or start therapy :lol: Honestly I've not read much on them, but all I did was positive.

The other thing is the Tesoro lifetime warranty (to Original Purchaser), you won't beat that anywhere.

Since you mentioned the Vaq and Outlaw, I'm assuming you're a coin and relic hunter?

I'm unfamiliar with Whites, but if you're looking for something TID (screen), take a serious look at the DeLeon, it's one of my favorites (and was my 1st Tesoro). No manual ground balance, so would depend on your area.

Vaquero (has manual ground balance) is an awesome detector as well, and you can find plenty of posts (use forum search function) showing such.

All that said, recently I've been using my ground balance modded Cibola (no ground balance from factory, but can be added), and I forgot how smooth it ran. It's another you could use search function for info. With the GB mod, many claim it's a better detector than the Vaq. I certainly wouldn't argue that statement.

I would have like to tried an Outlaw (the 3 coil pkg), but I have to draw the line somewhere....or start therapy :lol: Honestly I've not read much on them, but all I did was positive.

The other thing is the Tesoro lifetime warranty (to Original Purchaser), you won't beat that anywhere.

Since you mentioned the Vaq and Outlaw, I'm assuming you're a coin and relic hunter?

I do varying ground types, and when we go to Florida It will be dry sand. I have found some interesting coins and relics. I have access now to some really old homesteads dating back to 1880s or so. So some grounf balance, threshold, and sensitvity.

Maybe look for a used Cortés? TID, ground balance, etc. The Vaquero frustrated me at first but the more I use it, the more I understand it. The advice others have given in this thread so far is good advice. Heavy iron that won't disc out is annoying. However, once you learn what it sounds like and how to ID it, you'll be able to decide for yourself if you want to dig that big iron tone. I prefer to dig those targets I hit with my Vaquero most of the time. There's been a couple of occasions where I dug that heavy iron signal and discovered something worth keeping after scanning the hole again.

I do varying ground types, and when we go to Florida It will be dry sand. I have found some interesting coins and relics. I have access now to some really old homesteads dating back to 1880s or so. So some grounf balance, threshold, and sensitvity.

There's a used Vaq in the classifieds currently, listed used by a Dealer, might be worth a look at. It won't come with a factory warranty, so you'd have to talk with the seller to see if he offered any.$275 used vs $450 new.

I don't think you'd be disappointed in either the Vaq or Outlaw. Regardless of what you would decide on, if it's a Tesoro, I would be sure and have a 5.75" coil aside from the stock (larger) one. Would be one advantage to the Outlaw Package, getting 3 coils, you'd be set.

Here's a review on the Outlaw by a forum member, good guy and straight shooter, and I'll deny I ever said that if he hears I did :lol:

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=118577&highlight=tesoro+outlaw

ETA: I'll add, the HUGE reason I'm a fan of Tesoro, is their simplicity, nothing there that isn't needed. I don't care to have 30 programs, 20 different tones, 15 buttons. TID...can be an additional help, but can also be wrong. I don't look for a reason to dig, I look for a reason not to.

I'm not knocking all the more complicated detectors, but while their standing over a target running a diagnostics check on what's in the ground, I could have already dug it, and placed it in my good pouch, or trash pouch and moved on. Hence why these are part of the "Beep and Dig" family. It's not really that simple, but not a whole lot more complicated either, if that makes sense.

Last edited:
Well here is the really funny part, dealing with Amazon Returns. After I sent back the Coinmaster and now the Treasuremaster and spending hours with emails and then a long, long phone call yesterday. First the nature of the refund was going to be a Gift card, nope I want it back on my card. Finally over the past 12 hours they have now refunded more than $100 over my cost??

I love Amazon Prime but I really do not want something that is not mine. Honest is what I try to be in everything.

Ok back to detecting. Yes I am interested in the simplicity and the fact that Tesoro seems to just work. Thanks guys for the advice, I really value it.

Well here is the really funny part, dealing with Amazon Returns. After I sent back the Coinmaster and now the Treasuremaster and spending hours with emails and then a long, long phone call yesterday. First the nature of the refund was going to be a Gift card, nope I want it back on my card. Finally over the past 12 hours they have now refunded more than $100 over my cost??

I love Amazon Prime but I really do not want something that is not mine. Honest is what I try to be in everything.

Ok back to detecting. Yes I am interested in the simplicity and the fact that Tesoro seems to just work. Thanks guys for the advice, I really value it.

LOL, I've been going through a fiasco with Verizon, so I know the feeling, except they're trying to take, not give. I'm guessing they'll catch their mistake and pull the $100 back.

Not everyone understands those of us who like Tesoros, and that's OK, what makes the world go 'round as they say. I'd just be sure and spend some time reading on your options, but then again you're not limited to just one :lol:

Back
Top Bottom