CTX - Open Screen vs. Coin Program...what gives?

If you had tone and correct ID on a 9" deep IH then your soil is not real harsh.

The harsh soil will generally only let you detect down to about 5-6 inches and then everything your coil comes over will show as iron. With all the iron sounds like a place if using the stock coil to creep around real slow and eek out the coins. Good luck at your site and I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Shooter,

This is exactly what I have been finding in my test garden, thank you for verifying my results. I live in SW Washington and have what I consider harsh soil... I have been struggling to get my CTX deeper than 5 or 6" with any desirable tone/id.. so I buried 5 coins at varying depths (3" to 11") and my 7", 9" and 11" all give me iron grunts (open pattern, ground/coin combined and depending on the sensitivity - in auto, I get nothing from the 9" and 11")... with the 7" sometimes giving me a peep of high tone.

I was thinking about lowering my ferrous line to 30 or 32 to help, but not sure if that will even help. I know there are deeper coins than 6"...in fact, if I can break the code, I am convinced those "hunted out" 1800's parks in my area will open up like virgin soil (well, I can dream ;)). Other than digging all the iron tones (which I have started doing on one small old patch at a park near to me)... any other ideas to tackle the difficult soil and punch through the 6" barrier?

Great thread and comments everyone... thanks!! Tim.

Back
Top Bottom