Please post your gridding tips and how tos

Here's an idea I just thought ot which uses just two markers...might take some making though...basically build an open rectangular box that can be left on the ground standing on its own accord and a slot cut full length from the top to bottom and then the inside you paint a bright color at the back of the box in the center.

When you start out place on facing the opposite end of where you want to be...now walk the distance you want then place the other one facing it...to keep yourself right you simply look at the box...when your right on you will see the color at the back of the box...you can then simply move the boxes at each pass.

This will keep you straight...by simply moving yourself to keep in the color line, just like they do to make nice straight roads...you can paint the front of the box the same color as the line at the back and so when its complete your bang on line

I think, Abbynormal, I am kind of similar. Despite my best intentions, I will always end up wandering. I recognize that there are times when a thorough grid is what is needed, however whatever level of organization that might require, the best I can do is eyeball it. Works for me, but I know it is not ideal. However hearing you mention a field makes me think of all the large areas in fields that have produced for me, and I just might have to give it a whirl sometime. I will say that until I actually tried going over an area again perpendicular form the previous pass, I would have never guess what a difference that made. So now that I understand how much of a difference that makes, I guess I really should be open to some new techniques.

(Sorry, I know I didn't actually answer your question!)

Most of these are ok suggestions. But really its not that hard , if you have anything in sight to line up with thats already there , just walk toward it and look up at it every 8 or so steps and make corrections when necessary, when you get to where you want to stop , turn around , move over about 2 feet or so , line up with something else , and repeat , repeat , repeat. Save yourself a few bucks and use whats already there. Works just the SAME as providing your own markers , no difference. You should only need to provide your own markers if you are out in the middle of nowhere and there is nothing to line up with.

Another suggestion , when you are hunting large open spaces or fields , break it up into smaller sections and do one section at a time. Its harder and more frustrating to try to walk straight for 20 to 100 yards then it is to do like 10 yard blocks at a time ( just an example ). Plus if you break it up into smaller blocks or sections and finish one before you move to the next its easy to keep track of where youve been and you know just where to pick up the next time , and you have the satisfaction of having finished something at the end of each hunt. I think most of the problem walking in a straight line is that you are going too far with each pass.

Back
Top Bottom