F70, major depth settings, 11" and 10" coil...

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
Got the F70...goes pretty deep no matter what coil I have mounted.
I have the 10" elliptical, an 11"DD and the 5" concentric.
I have tried all 3 and love them all, however I like to experiment and get good at all of them.
Every post out there that asks about best depth always ends up with a million guys stating the 11" DD is the monster and there is no need to use the 10".
I do like the DD coil, seems to run smoother and at one site I was able to go to 9 on the thresh and 99 on the sensitivity and it still ran relatively quiet and I was amazed.
The ground was too frozen to dig but I did acquire some deep targets and pinpoint numbers on the screen showed 12-13-14 so I get it, the DD coil is the bomb.
However I am also becoming a big fan of the elliptical, I do love to use that kind, I am not going to retire it anytime soon till I learn to get the best out of it so I am looking for some info on settings to get the best all of them but especially the 10" coil because first chance I get I am going to a site that might have some Barbers at about 5-8" depths...maybe a bit more, and the first time I plan on using the elliptical.

I have a good idea on what I want to do but I wonder what you guys might suggest for settings if you have an F70 and use any of the coils but especially the 10" elliptical.
Disc, thresh, sensitivity, speed and tones that you use to get the best depth and ID would be what I am looking for and I will try them all and see what works best for me.

The deepest target I have dug so far with the 10" was a beaver tail tab at a full 10"...maybe even 11"...I did not get an exact measurement at the time.
I can't remember the settings but the thresh was into the negative numbers, the sense was probably somewhere in the 70-80 range, disc was at 1 and I was using 4H tones...my favorite tone settings at this time.
This deep target was not ID'd correctly at all, it was a very solid and repeating but only from one way hit, switching to SL did not make the signal any better from any direction, and there were never any numbers at all on the screen as I swung over this thing at any time, it was like the F70 didn't even want to hazard a guess.
I knew something was down there, using the pinpoint the number 10 did show on the screen from at least 2 directions, and the only reason I even dug this thing was to see what kind of target would cause this behavior and to see if there actually was something that deep...and I was pleasantly surprised that there was even if it was only trash.

So even though the ID was not the greatest I now know that the F70 using this coil can reach great depths and maybe using a different setting could have ID'd this thing even better, but I did not have the patience to try different settings at the time to see if it could.

The site I have in mind is 2 areas with large hills, (small mountains?) that rise up from the road and picnic area in a very old park that dates back to 1896 and each one goes up to about 800'.
One side of the street has a hill that has bike paths carved into it but way, way back used to be used as horse trails with campsites near the top for residents to use for recreation way back when the park opened.
Also people have been tromping around this thing for decades because I have been here before, used the Vaq, and found very old trash like actual tin and steel cans and can slaw and some old bottles plus many horse shoes and horse shoe square nails.

The other side of the street has no bike trails but has been used by scouts for years and I heard it was a training area for the army way back at the beginning of the last century.
Been up this side too, and the same sort of old trash but did manage to find a very old scout pocket knife with decades of rust built up on the exposed metal areas.
That time I used the F2 but there was a major problem I wasn't prepared for...ultra heavy EMI.
Traveling up this thing there were no great problems with the F2, but once I reached the top, a much more level area and the obvious place for campsites, even on one bar of sensitivity the F2 became so noisy it was all but unusable...even for me and I can deal with a ton of noise, usually.
The area at the top of these things seems to be in a direct line of sight of every TV, radio and cell tower for miles around with no obstructions between my F2 and those towers.
I am hoping the F70 can handle this better with more settings available to me if it becomes a problem when I get that high, but we will see.
A decent amount of leaves covering the ground here, too, so I assume SL speed might be good to try since that will go a bit deeper than DE speed while hovering over the top of this thick bed of leaves.

My ground is pretty mild, I usually GB at the low or mid 50's with one bar on the soil meter...if that.

So what are YOUR favorite settings for using the F70 and any coil?

I will mess around and try many on my own and I have a few ideas, but if I have a few different combinations at hand I can try them and waste less time if I find one that works well and gets me deep enough to find my first Barber which I know have been found by others hunting these areas before me.

That is my first short term goal...find a Barber dime, quarter, anything, or die trying.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Climbing hills looking for Barbers...this I know something about...use the 11" coil. Save the 5" and the 10" for hunting those trashy b-ball courtsides when it ain't winter:lol: You want coverage in the lopsided terrain, it's a needle in the haystack kinda mission you will be undertaking. The depth meter...what you want to find will be deep, 6-7" or more, as you know. If it's shallower and not a definite silver 10, 25 or 50 cent vdi...leave it for the springtime. Run hot as you can stand...even through emi and other chatter, a deep silver will stop you in your tracks, you're gonna hear it over everything else. You have mad skills, I expect you to post your first Barber soon as you can stick a shovel in the ground...

Climbing hills looking for Barbers...this I know something about...use the 11" coil. Save the 5" and the 10" for hunting those trashy b-ball courtsides when it ain't winter:lol: You want coverage in the lopsided terrain, it's a needle in the haystack kinda mission you will be undertaking. The depth meter...what you want to find will be deep, 6-7" or more, as you know. If it's shallower and not a definite silver 10, 25 or 50 cent vdi...leave it for the springtime. Run hot as you can stand...even through emi and other chatter, a deep silver will stop you in your tracks, you're gonna hear it over everything else. You have mad skills, I expect you to post your first Barber soon as you can stick a shovel in the ground...

Thanks Captain...the first Barber will be dedicated to you.

Thanks Captain...the first Barber will be dedicated to you.

He sounds nuts and perhaps is just that, but dang it Captain Silver taught me how to master my T2 when running it all-out and my finds with it went through the roof. Like I said the sumbitch is either a lunatic or a pure genius :laughing::p heed his advice!

DIGGER27 --

FWIW -- if the 5" coil you are talking about is the Fisher coil designed for the F70/75, it's actually a DD, not a concentric...

Not that it matters any, but I wanted to let you know, in case you didn't...

Steve

DIGGER27 --

FWIW -- if the 5" coil you are talking about is the Fisher coil designed for the F70/75, it's actually a DD, not a concentric...

Not that it matters any, but I wanted to let you know, in case you didn't...

Steve

Thank you, I never looked at a website that had these so I did think it was a concentric...but not anymore.
Seems to work good, I am sure we will get to be really close pals next year.

Thank you, I never looked at a website that had these so I did think it was a concentric...but not anymore.
Seems to work good, I am sure we will get to be really close pals next year.

I feel certain that you will, also! Many folks who hunt the F70 and F75 -- especially the F75 SE/LTD, hunt with the 5" coils almost exclusively, as the depth on these machines is so good that even the 5" goes DEEP (and obviously does SUPERBLY in the trash).

Steve

Back
Top Bottom