• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

"Sharing" spots......

I don't mind telling where I have made my finds as long as they don't keep coming back time after time and cleaning it out. We had a woman in our club that wanted to know almost to the inch where we found something. When we asked her where she found something, she would say Wichita.

I think that would be my fear, too. I completely understand why people might be reluctant to give away spots, especially if there has been time and effort researching them. But on the flip side, it sort of gives socializing with other MDers an odd vibe, almost a level of mistrust which pretty much sucks.

Things like this Ive always heard about so I really guess thats why dad and I always went together and now that he is gone, its me the wife and the boys and thats plenty for me.

People that protect their hunting grounds are under the assumption that someone is gonna go there and pick-out all the things they "think" they were gonna find. You might've found that coin, or you maybe not. It's not a guarantee, and it really does make this hobby seem really shady when people hide where they hunt. What are the chances people here live by you? One, two people within driving distance? They might NOT wanna drive to your location for various reasons, since NO spot is a sure bet. It's just absolutely ridiculous to be so covert about it. When I recently met-up with two guys from the forums at the park I was having really good luck at, I made sure to point-out all the historical areas that used to have structures, and then show them exactly where I found my silver coins, in each area of the park. We should be here to help one another, not hold on to some childish delusion that we can hoard everything in our area, because in reality we're not gonna find it [all]. Someone invited me to a State Park to hunt, and I'll go as soon as I can, and he'll be the first person I tell when I find a section that's producing, or at another location if and when I find it. It just promotes the hobby within this community a little better when you're helping one another. My $.02

If you're in the Philadelphia area and need a great old Park to hunt, try Wissinoming Park located in NE Philly. Once home to an Estate at the turn of the century, has a mile marker stone placed by Benjamin Franklin at one corner, and has had inhabitants since the Lenne Lenape Indians. Any questions about it just ask. I know that parks history very well. :)

I like the thought of hunting in smaller groups. 2 or 3 people depending on the site. I'd like to find a good md buddy that I can trust and it's also nice to have someone to talk to and share finds with. This day in age it is also smart in certain areas to have someone else around just in case.

I've found both people on this forum who live near me to be very stand up people and both have told me where they hunt and "Acegvsu" even gave me a really good lead to a site he had worked and researched.

Great group on here. I always love seeing other people's finds.

Joe

I live in the town of my beach and we have tourists come and hunt there with no respect for the beach or the locals. One guy I saw hunting my beach with a whites detector and a high arching swing walking down my line of beach I was walking and picked up a necklace. I walked up to him told him to get out of my line I said you can hunt up the beach or down the beach from me I don't care there is plenty of beach there but don't walk in my line that you know I'm working. I have had other people come up and ask what I found and I told them and I have had other people give me tips about where to hunt. I have told people where to buy the scoop I have if they ask. To me it is all how you approach the other detectorist that is working that area. If you see them working a certain area you stay away unless you want to ask them something. I have no problem sharing the place I hunt you just have to show it respect and stay out of my section I'm hunting

When you give, you receive.
When you share, you get shared with.
When you offer friendship, you get friends.
When you're a greedy, self-centered tightwad, you get elected for congress.

I live in the town of my beach and we have tourists come and hunt there with no respect for the beach or the locals. One guy I saw hunting my beach with a whites detector and a high arching swing walking down my line of beach I was walking and picked up a necklace. I walked up to him told him to get out of my line I said you can hunt up the beach or down the beach from me I don't care there is plenty of beach there but don't walk in my line that you know I'm working.

Yeah, you sound like wonderful person. :no:

You don't own the beach and don't have any more right to work a "line" than the other hunter.

Nice thread BTW Chihlidog.

I really was just curious what the general attitude, or more accurately, the generally accepted etiquette is among "hunters" or MDers. LOL I didnt really expect it to turn into a 3-pager.

I really was just curious what the general attitude, or more accurately, the generally accepted etiquette is among "hunters" or MDers. LOL I didnt really expect it to turn into a 3-pager.

Everyone has their opinions but the overall census seams to be you share some and keep others lol

I live in the town of my beach and we have tourists come and hunt there with no respect for the beach or the locals. One guy I saw hunting my beach with a whites detector and a high arching swing walking down my line of beach I was walking and picked up a necklace. I walked up to him told him to get out of my line I said you can hunt up the beach or down the beach from me I don't care there is plenty of beach there but don't walk in my line that you know I'm working. I have had other people come up and ask what I found and I told them and I have had other people give me tips about where to hunt. I have told people where to buy the scoop I have if they ask. To me it is all how you approach the other detectorist that is working that area. If you see them working a certain area you stay away unless you want to ask them something. I have no problem sharing the place I hunt you just have to show it respect and stay out of my section I'm hunting

I would have told you to

A. go to HELL
B. perhaps you are in MY line...

I agree there should be some professional courtesy, and a certain amount of personal space, but the beach is the beach

that guy could have easily been really into what he was doing & not intentionally tried to screw you

unless you have a deed it's NOT YOUR BEACH

I've shared a couple of my spots, but for the most part, I don't find much to share lol

One technique is to eat Beans and potato and bacon soup the night before. Normally that will give you 50 yard radius of pure uninterrupted detecting. Even keeps kids and birds away :laughing::laughing:

I usually choose to get up at the butt crack of dawn and see very few people.

I feel your pain but also when you hear the words "public" it becomes a free for all. Some people lack intelligence and manners.

I have no problem sharing the area there is plenty of beach but if you walk onto the beach and start at the other end where one person is heading I feel it is wrong he had a machine that could go in the water so why not try to hunt the water it was summer so it was nice temps. If i'm walking along and I see someone with a metal detector coming I move up or down the beach so I'm not affecting there area. I am very careful when it comes to walking by other peoples lines. I have had one guy say hey sorry I crossed in front of you and I said its fine I know you were heading to the water so I it is no problem. But the here tourist have no respect for the beach because they leave there trash all over the beaches and us locals pick it up. You can tell who is from the town and who isn't when your on the beach

I have no problem sharing the area there is plenty of beach but if you walk onto the beach and start at the other end where one person is heading I feel it is wrong he had a machine that could go in the water so why not try to hunt the water it was summer so it was nice temps. If i'm walking along and I see someone with a metal detector coming I move up or down the beach so I'm not affecting there area. I am very careful when it comes to walking by other peoples lines. I have had one guy say hey sorry I crossed in front of you and I said its fine I know you were heading to the water so I it is no problem. But the here tourist have no respect for the beach because they leave there trash all over the beaches and us locals pick it up. You can tell who is from the town and who isn't when your on the beach

Just to clarify, this "line" is an imaginary one you're walking, and although I know it might be irritating when another avid MDer comes close to you, they have every right to search any spot on that beach that they feel like searching. It's not up to you to decide on the appropriate boundaries as to how close they should come, or if they cross your imaginary line you've chosen in your head. Peoples views of this differ greatly. Your opinion obviously differs from his, so if it bothers you, you should move away to a different area and make-up a new "line". That's the simplest solution to your problem. It's rude and arrogant to go and tell someone that [they] should move from where they're working because you've made-up imaginary boundaries. Just sayin, like others have pointed out already, you don't own the beach or the right to decide where someone else should search regardless of how close they come to you. The non-written rule of giving each other their own space out of respect for the hobby is not a black and white law. Hope you have better luck out there next time.

Your post seems to have a bit of sour grapes attached to it. I'm wondering how you would've felt if he had missed the necklace and you pulled it. It seems like you probably would have gone over to him and critiqued his swing style and waved the necklace in his face saying, "Look what you missed with your crappy technique!" Either way, it's probably not the best solution to the situation. I probably just would've moved myself or headed in the other direction. Like you said, it is a big beach. Just my 2 cents.

Hi Ronfin,
I was one of the 2 you met a the park. that was great how you told us about the history of it.
I share all my spots, usually hunt with Dglantz. It works out well and its nice to have another person interested in the same thing.

Yea, I'm not one for sharing. I hunt rural private property and prefer the solitude and relaxation of hunting alone. Not to mention cleaning out a spot from virgin to done. I enjoy hunting w/ the buds too but my sweet spots are my own generally. We have sort of communal spots too but they are just that. Communal.

Call me selfish. I'm a treasure hunter not a happy hobbyist looking for acceptance.

Hi Ronfin,
I was one of the 2 you met a the park. that was great how you told us about the history of it.
I share all my spots, usually hunt with Dglantz. It works out well and its nice to have another person interested in the same thing.

Yeah, I'm glad you guys were able to pull some silver that day. It took me till it got dark, but I hit a nice spot again and yanked 4 out of the ground that day right off the path. 2 Mercs and 2 Quarters (pre-64). We all had a great day finding silver at the park. :)

Back
Top Bottom