• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Stretching the equinox truth?

remmy

Forum Supporter
I have heard and seen much info on the nox, many believeable things and it is obviously a great detector for the cost. But....
When I see Dr Tones 24k do a 10 reasons the equinox will best all detectors, some of his facts are sketchy at best

Weight, which he directly compares to the deus, featherlight, I think not. 2.96 lbs is 3 lbs where I come from, almost a full pound heavier than the deus at 2 lbs. My AT Pro weighs 3 lbs so a 3 pound machine is not so impressive.

Wireless, partially, I do see a wire from the coil. No big deal but I do at times pull my lower rod out and detect horizontal things like stone walls.

He says "one thing to charge" and then says how he dislikes that you must charge the deus coil. Then he does a "oh" and you have to charge the phones and the module? did I hear that correct because if I did that is 3 things to charge.

Depth and speed, given, it does seem deep and fast, deeper or faster than all others, not sure about that.

I am not knocking the machine, I may get one someday but the claims being made (by some) are just hype with no real data to back them up. I mean if TNSS or calabash say "I tested and here is what I found" I take it as gospel but for someone who is "youtube" famous to seem like a paid commercial just bugs me. Maybe that is the deal, free machine to make a video plug, dunno.

Sorry for the rant but it steams me when someone says "mines better because I say so"

OK I'm ready for the flogging I am about to receive.:shock:

I have heard and seen much info on the nox, many believeable things and it is obviously a great detector for the cost. But....
When I see Dr Tones 24k do a 10 reasons the equinox will best all detectors, some of his facts are sketchy at best

Weight, which he directly compares to the deus, featherlight, I think not. 2.96 lbs is 3 lbs where I come from, almost a full pound heavier than the deus at 2 lbs. My AT Pro weighs 3 lbs so a 3 pound machine is not so impressive.

Wireless, partially, I do see a wire from the coil. No big deal but I do at times pull my lower rod out and detect horizontal things like stone walls.

He says "one thing to charge" and then says how he dislikes that you must charge the deus coil. Then he does a "oh" and you have to charge the phones and the module? did I hear that correct because if I did that is 3 things to charge.

Depth and speed, given, it does seem deep and fast, deeper or faster than all others, not sure about that.

I am not knocking the machine, I may get one someday but the claims being made (by some) are just hype with no real data to back them up. I mean if TNSS or calabash say "I tested and here is what I found" I take it as gospel but for someone who is "youtube" famous to seem like a paid commercial just bugs me. Maybe that is the deal, free machine to make a video plug, dunno.

Sorry for the rant but it steams me when someone says "mines better because I say so"

No flogging from me.
I agree with most of what you said.

Speed.
Nox is fast, it could be the fastest out there.
But one thing Nox does while being fast is give tone and ID to match target or give very good hints so say higher conductor exists. And at some pretty good depths too.
Nox is one of the best cherry picking detectors I have come across.
It shames Deus here badly.
Plus Nox is better on higher conductor coins sized targets vs Deus.
There are some things Deus will do better, but a lot of this I think is tied to Deus having smaller coils.
If we pit Deus and 11" LF coil against Nox. IMO Nox rules the roost on most attributes performance wise.
I have tested/compared in the wild, on top of the ground, elevated above the ground. Deus vs Nox. With multiples coils on Deus. Even HF coils.

If the only coil for Deus was the 11" LF coil, then Equinox I think would be= Deus killer.

No flogging from me.
I agree with most of what you said.

Speed.
Nox is fast, it could be the fastest out there.
But one thing Nox does while being fast is give tone and ID to match target or give very good hints so say higher conductor exists. And at some pretty good depths too.
Nox is one of the best cherry picking detectors I have come across.
It shames Deus here badly.
Plus Nox is better on higher conductor coins sized targets vs Deus.
There are some things Deus will do better, but a lot of this I think is tied to Deus having smaller coils.
If we pit Deus and 11" LF coil against Nox. IMO Nox rules the roost on most attributes performance wise.
I have tested/compared in the wild, on top of the ground, elevated above the ground. Deus vs Nox. With multiples coils on Deus. Even HF coils.

If the only coil for Deus was the 11" LF coil, then Equinox I think would be= Deus killer.

I can agree with all said here, as I said, I am not doubting the machine I just didn't like the way the facts were stretched. I can see me possibly swinging a nox someday, after they have been proven for a while. The 2 year warranty worries me with the deus having 5.

Dr. Tones is a paid spokesman. Minelab owns that guy.

This makes perfect sense!

You have to take all the hype with a grain of salt. It was not that long ago the AT MAX was the best thing EVER, before that the MX Sport, before that the XP Deus.
I believe Minelab is very near the top on R & D, and products. And there is NO DOUBT the Equinox is getting it done. But the very best thing about it, from alot of accounts, is it is a Top end machine at a mid level price. Which in turn is going to make these very capable mid level machines drop in price to entry level machines. Its a win win for all of us afflicted with this illness. Just my opinion.

Ok, so I have no interest in jumping on the bandwagon at this time. But, realistically Dr Tones is a paid spokesman and that is his job and he is doing his job.

Really cannot hate on a guy for that. I get paid to promote my product, just like many of us do.

Whether I agree with his assessment is another topic, but I have no ill will about what he's doing. Quite honestly I would guess, many of us might consider a position in the industry of the hobby we love like he did.

This detector ain’t perfect. It definitely has room for improvement in several areas, which I’ll point out when I post my review.. But I can say with confidence that it’s performance is not hype. Comparing signals and TID with the Etrac or CTX out in a fairly clean park probably won’t be very impressive. Matter of fact I’d say the FBS machines still hold the title for best TID in those situations. Where the Nox really shines (IMHO) is when hunting the most trashy iron infested sites you can find. What TNSS said about its ability to cherry pick and properly identify high conductors by both tone and ID from sites loaded with iron is spot on. As for weight, yeah around 3 lbs but much better balanced than the ATPro IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its a real performer ... does it beat the Deus on all accounts No imo . I think Deus tones (PITCH ) are hard to beat for relics in some instances. The Deus sounds off harder on targets IMO. You got to remember that I'm used to the Deus tones too. With that being said I went behind the Deus and found some killer buttons and then I knew that this machine would unmask with the best... and might be one of the best?? I sold my deus 11 inch coil setup and the NOX will replace it in my line up. I like both detectors and it will be interesting to see how they compliment each other. BTW I'm sold my 9 inch lf too and I am only using my 9 inch hf at this time. Its a great detector from what I can tell and will be spending time to learn well. The biggest downside to the NOX is the overload it has none so a flat can on the surface sounds like a coin ...but on the other hand it hits deep targets well.

My take on the differences of Deus and Nox.

Nox is deeper in medium mineralized soil on us dime clad or silver.
With Deus wearing 9" LF coil, 11" LF coil, 9" HF coil.
Can't say yet for elliptical HF coil.

Nox can cherry pic, even in relic sites.
Foil will be sniffed out quick by readings of 1 or 2 usually.
Deus can sniff out foil too with lower TID readings, but one problem if iron is near, all bets off on Deus ID.

Nox picks up higher conductors deeper mask vs Deus.
Nox can ID these correctly quite often or get very close. Not always though.

Nox running Multi freq can hunt behind Deus user relic hunting and make finds.
Especially Deus users running LF coils.

On the heavier masked targets Nox quite offen gives unmistakable tone, albeit not loud, whereas Deus it may be harder to discern especially using full tones lower disc.

Both detectors like nickel range conductivity targets well ( if correct freq is employed on Deus).

Nox handles mineral better than Deus, coil size for coil size. Even handles mineral better than some of the smaller sized coils for Deus. Elliptical HF coil is closest performer to Nox here.

Nox is faster than Deus, but Nox runner needs to be in speeds 7 or 8. Level 6 I am still not certain about it.

Nox seems to give more unmasking depth below nails, but this is conditional. Seems if nails are close to Nox's coil depth wise it struggles more than Deus. But is nails are a little farther away, Nox trumps Deus.

Nox even run fast vs Deus run fast, Nox the better IDer by a large margin, deeper too with ID.

Nox runs quieter than.deus with Deus wearing 9" LF coil, 11" LF coil, and round HF coil. I can't speak or 11x13" LF coil. Deus with HF elliptical runs about as quiet as Nox does.

Nox can't find all nonferrous a Deus with 9" LF coil can, or the round HF coil, or the elliptical HF coil. But remember smaller coil for not not available yet, some of the gap could be closed here with the use of smaller soil on Nox.

For a beginner detectorist.
Nox easier to run and be a hunting with quite high proficiency vs Deus- will take longer.

Audio as far as recognizing a targets conductivity based on tone, Nox wins over Deus.

Ergo, Deus wins, especially with coils smaller than the 11" LF coil.

Screen readability.
I like both.

Nox doesn't have way to gauge soil minerals, Deus does.

Backlight adjustability on Nox is nice.

For a dig all nonferrous comparing the 2 detectors, much more near one another overall performing.

Dependability
Deus seems is based on its history on forums.
Nox- still up in the air.
So far few folks with problems it seems, but need more time to gauge.

Deus warranty is longer.

Both manufacturers I think are stand up.

I have detectors made by both.
I like them both.
I wish I could swing 2 at once.
Then I wouldn't have to choose.

Neither detectors really accurate with depth meters IMO.
Deus likely using detect mode to tell user target is shallower and or bigger.
For a Nox user to do the above, they have to go to pinpoint and listen.

Both detectors like tin btw, I give edge here to Nox though for performance while detecting in and around.

I think that about does it.
All the above is my deep down thoughts based on using both models.
I am not bought or paid by any detector manufacturer.

This detector ain’t perfect. It definitely has room for improvement in several areas, which I’ll point out when I post my review.. But I can say with confidence that it’s performance is not hype. Comparing signals and TID with the Etrac or CTX out in a fairly clean park probably won’t be very impressive. Matter of fact I’d say the FBS machines still hold the title for best TID in those situations. Where the Nox really shines (IMHO) is when hunting the most trashy iron infested sites you can find. What TNSS said about its ability to cherry pick and properly identify high conductors by both tone and ID from sites loaded with iron is spot on. As for weight, yeah around 3 lbs but much better balanced than the ATPro IMHO.

This is exactly what i have said in previous posts, almost identical!

Anyone here who buys 800 unit and is dissatisfied with.
I will trade a Deus with rod, remote, and you can choose 9" or 11" LF coil, headphone module straight up for. I have already ordered another 800 unit. I will keep it too.
I don't want to see anyone here with 800 model dissatisfied if a Deus will make them happy.

Now, I only have one Deus I can part with.
I want to keep one.

This is exactly what i have said in previous posts, almost identical!

Yep. It’s what a lot of us have been saying. Especially those of us who have used this detector in really trashy spots. None of us on Minelab’s payroll either. Should be a good indication to others that it’s not just hype. If I spend my hard earned money on something and it doesn’t perform as advertised, I’ll be the first to complain about it. Truth is, even though it’s not perfect, I really am impressed with this new Minelab.

Anyone here who buys 800 unit and is dissatisfied with.

I will trade a Deus with rod, remote, and you can choose 9" or 11" LF coil, headphone module straight up for. I have already ordered another 800 unit. I will keep it too.

I don't want to see anyone here with 800 model dissatisfied if a Deus will make them happy.

Now, I only have one Deus I can part with.

I want to keep one.

That’s funny as I will probably sell one of my 3030’s for another 800. I am good with just one 3030 now and would love an additional 800 instead. Love it!!!

Agree w the others here, no offense to Dr tones but he kinda gives off the used car salesman vibe for some reason.

Also fwiw a new machine gets a ton of attention. No doubt it's good but take everything with a grain of salt

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

As for weight, yeah around 3 lbs but much better balanced than the ATPro IMHO.

Interesting... I assume you are swinging the ATP with a stock coil? The one down side to the Nox for me is it doesn't feel as good in my hands as the AT with the 5X8. Not a fair comparison, but i don't have access to a smaller coil on the Nox, so there you go.

BCD

A good thing about this site is I don't think there are any Minelab paid spokespeople. Fans likely. I can't say the same for other sites such as findmall. 1 of the moderators on there is the biggest know~it~all idiot I've seen in a long long time.

Interesting... I assume you are swinging the ATP with a stock coil? The one down side to the Nox for me is it doesn't feel as good in my hands as the AT with the 5X8. Not a fair comparison, but i don't have access to a smaller coil on the Nox, so there you go.

BCD

I had both the stock coil and the 5X8. To me, the straight shaft design on the Nox & CTX just feels more balanced and easier to swing than the S-shaft design. The ATPro feels more nose heavy. Matter of opinion I guess.

I had both the stock coil and the 5X8. To me, the straight shaft design on the Nox & CTX just feels more balanced and easier to swing than the S-shaft design. The ATPro feels more nose heavy. Matter of opinion I guess.

I completely agree. I used both coils on at pro as well.

The at pro with the 13 inch storm was like swinging a ball and chain around but that is a whole other story.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

:p I'm just here for the flogging....:popcorn:

:lol: Just kidding! I have a Nox coming but couldn't agree more here, I think Dr. Tones would sell you a bag of poop if he was getting well paid for it. I think Calabash has made some excellent vids so far, rattlehead too, and I look forward to seeing more from Romy and Compass at the beach. It seems to only take one stupid "mines better" comment to stir up trouble too and the Minelab spokespeople know that and use it to keep us talking about Equinox. If I didn't water hunt and already had a Deus, E-Trac, CTX, I wouldn't be considering a Nox to be honest.I also think a users familiarity with his machine plays a much bigger role in getting results. You have made some spectacular finds with your Deus bud, If it ain't broke don't fix it right?

Back
Top Bottom