• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Coronavirus: High risk group.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Daily routine here now is the Wife is pretty much past making masks, tho the sewing machine is still out and available. Now she is working on her garden, concerned about the supply situation of food and fresh veggies this Spring, since farmers can not hire people to work in the fields. Even our illegals are scared!

KT has been slowly working on the grounds, weather permitting. Two days ago KT cut down a medium-sized hickory tree in the back yard. With my son's assistance, we cut all the usable firewood out of it and stacked it. Yesterday KT began working on the limbs left over. Got them cut up. Everything pinkie finger diameter and smaller is being salvaged for the smoker, even enough to give some to our neighbors. Got a bit over halfway finished with that yesterday evening. When finished only the leaves and tassels will remain which will be scattered back onto the yard and mowed over in a few days. Yard work continues with the Queen finding several more trees she wants removed from the Castle grounds. KT does not mind this activity, and being 70 years old, probably needs the exercise, and fortunately the Queen realizes KT will do these chores, but as His pace! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Today it is also time to make the every 4th day trip to WalMart, to get some essentials, and see if they have any 22LR ammo left. If they do, KT will purchase some additional for the Marlin Model 60 rifle He bought late last week. Waiting for the new scope and mounts is a bummer, but KT is learning patience with this on-going pandemic. Then will come the trip to the Shooting Range to sight it in. Going to use it for some squirrel and rabbit hunting in the King's Woods.

Hoping that you and your wife are in good health and your family too! Just a word from across the pond to cheer you on!

Yesterday KT began working on the limbs left over. Got them cut up. Everything pinkie finger diameter and smaller is being salvaged for the smoker, even enough to give some to our neighbors.
I’m addicted to smoking! Been using my electric every other weekend, Hickory-smoked 4 chickens last weekend. Did about 30 lbs of beef jerky and salmon too! Yum yum! Good luck KT.

KT, many farms are letting the crops rot in the fields because there are no customers, closed restaurants are not buying.
Cheaper to let them rot and not pay picking labor for something you can't sell anyway...

KT, many farms are letting the crops rot in the fields because there are no customers, closed restaurants are not buying.
Cheaper to let them rot and not pay picking labor for something you can't sell anyway...

Many farmers might have it rough for now, I wonder if it might help them some to set up a stand with an umbrella and post a sign to the public saying something like "pick all you can in 2 hours - only $5.00" the public would get a good bargain and at least the farmer would get something.

KT agrees, and the entire food system is starting a domino style effect. Farmers grow crops and must sell them to survive, and since restaurants are seeing around 10% of their earlier business, they cannot buy. There is a shortage of retail, big farms may suffer the worst out of all this. It is something that with time we will see what happens. Might be time for those with room to get a milk cow, chickens, rabbits, and grow a vegetable garden. Like in the Great Depression....did not see many fat people in the 1930's, except for some of the Gangsters. The rich ate well and the poor just squeezed by as best they could.

This seems odd because at the same time the restuarants are closed, folks still need to eat and so grocery stores remain open, but with less selection of meat products, and less variety of veggies. Trucks still run delivering less variety of food. Apparently the grocery stores are not purchasing food locally, or not offering enough money for the goods to make the farmers show a profit.

Many farmers might have it rough for now, I wonder if it might help them some to set up a stand with an umbrella and post a sign to the public saying something like "pick all you can in 2 hours - only $5.00" the public would get a good bargain and at least the farmer would get something.

Good idea, but needs a little centralization, some type of marketing, etc. Maybe pick on the halves, that way really needy folks can get food for work...a type of barter...and the farmer gets produce to sell on the roadside to those unable to bend their backs.

GKL, great idea! Unfortunately knowing that there is a jerk in every crowd someone would go out there, twist an ankle and sue the farm owner. No good deed goes unpunished in this world...

GKL, great idea! Unfortunately knowing that there is a jerk in every crowd someone would go out there, twist an ankle and sue the farm owner. No good deed goes unpunished in this world...

Sadly that is sometimes true, and it's a shame but I guess you'd have to have everyone sign an "at your own risk" agreement to protect the farmer from unreasonable actions.

Update Sunday 31st May 2020

"Vulnerable people in England who have been asked to remain at home since the coronavirus lockdown began will be able to go outdoors again from Monday.

People living alone can meet one other person from another household while maintaining social distancing.

The guidance - in place for 10 weeks - had indicated shielding measures would remain until 30 June."

....at last............:detector:

"Vulnerable people in England who have been asked to remain at home since the coronavirus lockdown began will be able to go outdoors again from Monday.

People living alone can meet one other person from another household while maintaining social distancing.

The guidance - in place for 10 weeks - had indicated shielding measures would remain until 30 June."

Looking forward to your first "post SIP" post!!

Enjoy and stay safe!

Anything changed for your down in the Yucatan?

Take care Doug and stay healthy. Our county has been in a phase 2 opening for several weeks now. Restaurants are now open and the tables have been spaced out further to maintain distancing. The staff wear masks and diners are expected to wear them as wekk, when not eating (e.g. while waiting for the food to be served).

I was struck by the following the other day. Here in the US we have over 100,000 dead, while in Japan, they only had 866 deaths. Both countries were hit by the virus at about the same time and both our president and their Prime Minister, didn't take it too seriously initially. Japan has rounghly 1/3 of our population, their median age is higher than ours and their population density is much higher than ours.

So, how come we lost 100,000 people and Japan lost only 866? The answer, to anyone that has been to Japan, is obvious. Their hygiene is second to none and their culture encourages them to wear masks anytime they feel under the weather.

Masks work!

SeabeeRon "Anything changed for your down in the Yucatan? "

Beaches still closed to people, no swimming no laying in the sun, no access at all to a few towns I would like to go, literally roadblocks set up and if you don't live there you are not allowed to enter the town. Here in the city some stores open and pretty well stocked, more industries opening june 1st.
Limit one person per family in stores at a time with masks on at all times.
Most importantly dry law is set to end tomorrow, but they made it by delivery only so that they will not get 1000's of people lining up to buy. Not sure how many days long the wait will be yet, but you can imagine a city of a million there will be at least 100k orders to deliver so it'll be a few days... It's been dry since april 10th i think, let's say I have developed a taste for mixed drinks that I did not previously appreciate...

Many thanks everybody.

Having received another letter from the hospital at the beginning of May instructing me that I would have another 12 weeks in isolation starting on the 5th of May. Total would have been now 19 weeks!

I am hoping to be out in the fields this week although the ground is rock hard reading some of the reports I have seen. Hottest and driest May on record so far would account for that I'm sure.

Take care Doug and stay healthy. Our county has been in a phase 2 opening for several weeks now. Restaurants are now open and the tables have been spaced out further to maintain distancing. The staff wear masks and diners are expected to wear them as wekk, when not eating (e.g. while waiting for the food to be served).

I was struck by the following the other day. Here in the US we have over 100,000 dead, while in Japan, they only had 866 deaths. Both countries were hit by the virus at about the same time and both our president and their Prime Minister, didn't take it too seriously initially. Japan has rounghly 1/3 of our population, their median age is higher than ours and their population density is much higher than ours.

So, how come we lost 100,000 people and Japan lost only 866? The answer, to anyone that has been to Japan, is obvious. Their hygiene is second to none and their culture encourages them to wear masks anytime they feel under the weather.

Masks work!

Interesting take on Japan. I gotta doubt their numbers , but you never know.
Many years ago I read this fact that may not be true today : 70% of the adult population in Japan , smokes. Per capita , they have the lowest cancer rate. This they claim is due to their diet of fish and rice. Also the preferred mode of transportation is on bicycles. Plenty of exercise and cardio.

Many years ago I read this fact that may not be true today : 70% of the adult population in Japan , smokes. Per capita , they have the lowest cancer rate. This they claim is due to their diet of fish and rice. Also the preferred mode of transportation is on bicycles. Plenty of exercise and cardio.

Many people ride bicycles in Japan, primarily to get to their nearby subway/train station. You should see photos of their bicycle parking lots, next to their train stations. It bogles the mind LOL.

Having a car in Japan can get pretty expensive, starting with having to take a mandatory driving course taught by accredited driving schools. The course typically costs over $1000 and if you don't pass it the first time, you gotta take it again.

In densely populated areas, like Tokyo, you can't even buy a car, unless you can prove you have an off-street place to park it. It is not unusual for people to get on their bikes, ride to the train station and take a train a few stops, to where their car is parked.:wow:

Last, but not least, if you ever get caught DUI, you lose your license for life. No second chances.

Studies have shown that nicotine blocks the virus. Issues are hereditary, many in my family smoked but no cases of lung cancer for instance.

My take is the U.S. numbers are padded and other countries are underreporting their cases. China only has 84,000 cases in a population of 1.4 billion? Sorry, not buying it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom