Would you open it ? Opened see P.9

Chasbolio

Elite Member
:) Opened, see p.9

Got this find last weekend and thought it was just a cool block of heavy metal. Wasn't sure if it was iron, steel, lead or whatever. It was getting late so I put it in my trunk. I intended to get back to it and finally did this morning. It weighs 6.6 lbs. and is 4" X 2 1/4" x 2 3/4 ". I cleaned it up a bit and found what may be the #'s 92 or 66 scratched into it. It wasn't magnetic and the top appeared to be drizzled molten metal, pretty sure it's lead. The bottom has four short pedestals which may be screws. It appears to be a box which is soldered shut at the base.

Interestingly enough when I shook it (hard), I was able to hear something metal sounding inside.

Not sure if this might not be a time capsule.

My dilemma is, should I try to crack it open ?

Not sure if there could be anything inside that would be more interesting or valuable than it's current mysterious status. Unopened it's intriguing, opened it could be dissapointing.

Anyone ever seen a box like this ? Any interesting suggestions ?

Thanks,

C

Attachments

• mysterybox.jpg
    mysterybox.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 1,808
Last edited:
Open it. It will drive you crazy not knowing what is inside. Lol Could be some old coins or something lol

Where did u find it? How deep was it? Anything else interesting around it that u found?

I wouldn't last an hour before trying to crack that sucker open.

Where did u find it? How deep was it? Anything else interesting around it that u found?

I wouldn't last an hour before trying to crack that sucker open.

Found it at about 6" at an old high school. It was an end of the day 1/2 hr. hunt. Dug a little clad as well.

Take it and have it x-rayed....the folks at my airport like to show off their machine and they only handle four flights a day (15 people per plane)......I'm trying to get a job there!!!

Dusty

Really had to shake it hard to get a sound out of it. May have other material stuffed in it as well.

Thought of that. My neighbor's an xray tech. but not sure if lead will shield the contents.

Do you think that there is a chance that you will find bone pieces in it? Is it possibly an old square urn?

Doug

That would be preferable to the suggested Pandora's box my wife mentioned it could be.

Do you think that there is a chance that you will find bone pieces in it? Is it possibly an old square urn?

Doug

Don't think so. Sounds metalic. If it's headstamp when and if I finally open it. It's yours.

It could be someones dog they had cremated and there dog collar is having a hard time rattling thru all those ashes..... Auction it off :lol:

I like the thing too much already to auction it off. But the dog collar thing is one reason for not wanting it opened.:grin:

Back
Top Bottom