Help! - Best detector for gold ring lost on salty wet sandbar

SuperMonkey

My wife lost her diamond engagement ring on a wet salty sandbar. The ring is made of 14k gold just under 1/8" in thickness with platinum prongs to hold the diamond. I would like to know the best detector for finding this item that is so dear to us. We are located in SC where the tides vary by around 6 feet, and this sandbar is only exposed for a few hours at low tide every day, so it stays fairly wet. We rented & borrowed some cheaper metal detectors from Radio Shack and they seemed to give a lot of false positives. So, I'd like to buy a good detector ASAP to try & find our lost ring.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Well a water machine will cost you quite a bit more than a radio shack machine. Look to see if you can rent a water unit or find someone on this forum that is in your area that can maybe help you find it. If you were serious about getting a machine not just for this one ring but as a hobby I recommend the White's Dual Field. The longer you wait the more the chances are of someone else finding it. So hurry!

I agree with contacting " Lost my stuff." I am familiar with S.C. beaches, & the extreme tides will make this a hard find, even for the experienced . Get some people on the beach ASAP. I no longer live there, or I would be out there helping. GOOD LUCK !

I agree with the previous post, your best chance is to get someone with experience. You may get lucky but there are people out there who have 10 times the chance of finding the ring as someone without experience and they would love to help. Its realy more about the operator than the machine.

Just to update everybody, the OP never did contact The Lost My Stuff Group so who knows....maybe the ring was found.

:grin:

Actually, I haven't found it. I purchased a Whites dual field PI detector & am going to try it myself. Where I lost it is out of the way, so I didn't want to bother anyone on the Lost my Stuff group just yet.

I plan to tune / test the new detector with a similar ring (tied to string for safety) under similar conditions at different orientations to get used to it. Hopefully, I can learn in short order how to find the one specific item I'm looking for. If not, I may still attempt to contact someone on the Lost my Stuff group.

I actually found the wedding band before my initial post with a White's coinmaster detector that I rented from Radio shack. Just haven't found the engagement ring yet.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Actually, after finding the wedding band and all of the searching & researching detectors, I can say that I may well get into it. However, we REALLY want to get the engagement ring back for more than just the monetary value.

I'm definitely planning to try it out in other areas after exhausting my search for our engagement ring. I don't think I would have ever tried it if it weren't for losing the rings though.

I agree with Beach Bum, Tell the forum where your located and get some of the guys to help you find the ring. Who knows, you might just make some new friends. If you decide to take up the hobby, Everone needs a hunting buddy.

Jack in Va.

Ok, I'm located in Bluffton, SC near Hilton Head Island, SC & Beaufort, SC. I plan to look for it this Sunday the 17th of April.

If anyone is nearby & wants to help, I'll buy them dinner/drinks just for attempting to help. If they find it, I'll be more than happy to pay $250.

I'm pretty sure I lost it in a damp sand area that is only exposed for a few hours at low tide. That's where I found the wedding band.

So, if you are interested in coming along Sunday morning (4/17), give me a call at: 678-520-4312 - or e-mail at: brian <at> reynoldsddc <dot> com

Thanks,

Brian

Uhh, I should have mentioned that it will be a long walk from where we have to park. Probably 2 miles just to get to where I think I lost it. I was planning on bringing a beach bike to make the trek easier.

Thanks again,

Brian

FYI -- The last time I heard from Brian he said he had searched for several hours last Sunday but had not found the ring yet...

A Lost My Stuff Group member has contacted him and volunteered to help when they can get their work schedules and the tide to cooperate!!!

Back
Top Bottom