My first ever MERC!!!

spittfire

Elite Member
Okay, you are going to have to trust me on this one! :yes: Went to the beach this weekend as it was 70 and beautiful. The beach was not a "hot spot" for tourists, far from it. The sand was black clay, oily and was ringing up silver every 5 seconds on junk solder. I dug a lot of "pennies" which turned out to be lead fishing weights. Found one lincoln penny very corroded, and two discs. They were very thin, small and had no detail on them but something was familiar about the size. Got them home and threw them in some peroxide and forgot about them until this morning. When I picked the up the light hit one the right way and I got a glimpse of the shadow of a face. I saw the neck and realized it was a mercury dime, the other is a rosie but cannot get a date on either one. It was awesome to finally get one, sorry the pictures are lousy but I didn't have much to work with.

Attachments

• Mercury dime0001.JPG
    Mercury dime0001.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 68
  • Mercury dime10001.JPG
    Mercury dime10001.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 87
  • Mercury dime20001.JPG
    Mercury dime20001.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 65
Congrats on your Merc SpittFire... Don't let Rusty ask you for it as I sent him silver dimes that looked just like that one did already lol...

Cfmct-PI said:
Congrats on your Merc SpittFire... Don't let Rusty ask you for it as I sent him silver dimes that looked just like that one did already lol...
You know our Rusty wouldn't do that:):):) Thanks!

Congrats on the find. Something like that would have went into my trash can. I wouldn't have known it was a Merc either.

DM

Digginman said:
Congrats on the find. Something like that would have went into my trash can. I wouldn't have known it was a Merc either.

DM

It was close! I have learned more about American coins in the past few months thanks to this site. I was not at all familiar with the pre-coins of past years. I am amazed at all the different coins you have here.

spittfire said:
I have learned more about American coins in the past few months thanks to this site. I was not at all familiar with the pre-coins of past years. I am amazed at all the different coins you have here.

First of all, congrats on the merc! As far as coins are concerned, try this website:
http://www.coinfacts.com/

Joe G said:
spittfire said:
I have learned more about American coins in the past few months thanks to this site. I was not at all familiar with the pre-coins of past years. I am amazed at all the different coins you have here.

First of all, congrats on the merc! As far as coins are concerned, try this website:
http://www.coinfacts.com/

I'm up on that site, thanks. I have picked up all of my information from people like you who share their expertise! Thanks to everyone I am a more informed.

Cfmct-PI said:
........Don't listen to him he tells really good stories, they were all aluminum plugs I'm telling you the truth, Really I am, Really ;) .....................So if you have it in your heart please........Can I Have It? 8)

They say that after you find the first one the rest will come up readily! WTG on the silver - must be more there, Steve in so az

Good job finding that merc and rosie! You know there are more waiting out there too!

dfxrus said:
Congrats spittfire - bet cha did the "dance" didn't ya? :duh:

By the time I realized what I had, it would have been overkill:) It is such a bad example of that beautiful coin that I am waiting until I find one in better condition and then I will be on the tabletop:)

Back
Top Bottom