Silver Surprise

angellionel

Elite Member
I had the day off from work, but was undecided on whether or not I should head out to a new site to do some detecting, since it was somewhat cold. But then I looked up the weather for this weekend, and that made up my mind. Out here we're supposed to get freezing rain on Saturday and Sunday. As it turned out, once at the site, I was toasty warm with the layers I had on.

I scouted the site a bit before selecting an area to work. Soon enough I began to dig up shotgun shells and - surprise, surprise ? pull tabs! Those pesky things do get around! Still, I was happy to see them, as they were of the older type, and an indication that the area has seen activity.

It wasn't long before I dug up the first coins, mostly wheaties dated from 1934 to 1945. I picked up a few interesting items too, such as a police pin, a 1917 dog tag, two musket balls, and a metal label that must have detached from an old engine.

The best finds, though, turned out to be an old sterling silver ring and two silver coins, a 1941-S mercury dime and a 1875-CC seated dime, which is in great condition. This makes my first pre-1900 coin for 2007.

Having worked the site for a few more hours, I called it quits and headed back home, but not empty handed.

Most of the site is wooded, with a few somewhat open areas.
woods_011107A.jpg

The best find of the day, the 1875-CC seated dime. It has sharp details.
silver_dime_011107A.jpg

I love finding mercs. They are beautiful coins.
silver_dime_011107B.jpg

An old sterling silver ring. This rang very nicely.
silver_ring_011107A.jpg

Here's the inside of the band.
silver_ring_011107B.jpg

After cleaning it. Very nice!
silver_ring_011107C.jpg

This was a surprise. Perhaps lost during a chase?
police_pin_011107.jpg

Old dog tags are a treat to find.
dog_tag_011107.jpg

From an old engine.
finds_011107A.jpg

The musket balls.
musketball_011107A.jpg

musketball_011107B.jpg

grnpt_dtekr said:
great finds, and great pics too! had fun reading this :)

Thanks! :)

Cfmct-PI said:
Nice finds Angel... Were you hunting the BigE fair grounds again lol...

Yeah, right! :lol:

I've never hit those grounds. Besides, much of it has been redone. :( It sounds like you've been there. :)

No but I go to the BigE every year... Casper lives up in Springfield area..

Wow, That seated dime looks great. Congrats on a great hunt.
I have not found a seated dime since 1982. :wow: :wow:

Real nice finds!!!

Ah...... Springfield and Chicopee, now that brings back memories. I lived not too far from that part of the state for 35+ years.

Thanks for the pic's, and of course, the great report.

Tom

Congrats on all the silver angel! That seated is in really great shape. Was there supposed to be a stone in the ring?

Hope you have a third bedroom Angel, cause I'm on my way out your way :lol: You never cease to totally amaze me on the finds you make. Well done my friend, well done indeed. 8) :yes:

Thanks for the comments everyone! :)

SteveMN said:
Congrats on all the silver angel! That seated is in really great shape. Was there supposed to be a stone in the ring?

Yeah, the stone is missing. :( If it had been on, it would have made it even sweeter. :)

hoser said:
Hope you have a third bedroom Angel, cause I'm on my way out your way :lol: You never cease to totally amaze me on the finds you make. Well done my friend, well done indeed. 8) :yes:

:lol: :lol:

Thanks, Hoser. :)

Sweeeeet, on the seated dime. We don't find to many of the seates variety here in cow country. You had a great day...Gil

Back
Top Bottom