Union civil war coin?

Rockymtnman

I bought a coin collection this coin was in the bottom of the bag. The copper coin has a small hole not drilled appears more of a shrapnel hit. Coin states "The federal union it must be preserved dated 1864". Would this be worth sending off and having graded professionally?

Attachments

• 20200516_204743.jpg
    20200516_204743.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 1,002
  • 20200516_204817.jpg
    20200516_204817.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 1,025
Token, likey shot with a 22. I'm sure someone knows more about the grading, but I don't think it will score high being shot through.

Token, likey shot with a 22. I'm sure someone knows more about the grading, but I don't think it will score high being shot through.
I don't think it was shot. Would be in much worse condition. (Hole would be bigger and the coin would be bent) I agree with everything else though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I don't think it was shot. Would be in much worse condition. (Hole would be bigger and the coin would be bent) I agree with everything else though.

Simple Google search would show similar. The hole size is dependant on caliber. Copper is also soft, the coin may not bend (again examples in Google). The horse side also looks sunk in towards the hole. I've shot many things with many calibers, this can be done with ease.

That is referred to as a Civil War Token.
I would say it is not worth sending for grading, it's probably worth $15 - $30 unless it is some rare type.
Due to the damage (which IMHO is from being mailed to a barn beam, not a bullet) it is probably worth even less.
Very cool nonetheless:D

Simple Google search would show similar. The hole size is dependant on caliber. Copper is also soft, the coin may not bend (again examples in Google). The horse side also looks sunk in towards the hole. I've shot many things with many calibers, this can be done with ease.
I guess it's possible but it would have to be a tiny caliber way smaller than a 22.
ade5c73157bdfb9625a287264ce319f7.jpg

It was pierced on the horse side for sure exited the Indian head side the hole is too odd shaped to have been pierced with a nail it would be more round

Save your money by not sending it in to be graded. This Civil War Token is basically worthless numismatically speaking. Worth more for sentimental value.

It would probably be refused grading if sent out. Looks like a square nail hole, lots of old coins used as washers or nailed above the doorway for good luck.

I've got a different 1863 civil war token with a square nail hole that looks similar.

Part way through, they turned the square nail.

That coin wasn't shot. There's not even a caliber that small. Most likely a nail did that.

Back
Top Bottom