Metal detector advice for a lost gold ring

V

vader

I lost my gold university class ring while planting a tree in my backyard last summer. I know the general area of the ring but it could be up to 3 ft. deep in the ground. I dont know anything about detecting and was hoping for so advice on what detector to try.

If it's 3 ft deep, you just lost a ring. Gold is difficult at best and anything over about 10" is darn near impossible...even for the pros.

How about .....

Finding a local MD club and let them try. Sounds like it's been roughly 9 months so you could redig and then have them search again. Although, you may find the hobby addictive and may want your own MD. Good luck.
Marty

I am sure what you mean by three feet is because of the hole for the tree with the price of gold and class rings as someone said tree out you come. It would be very easy for someone with a detector to locate that ring if it was indeed lost while planting the tree.

As suggested either contact a club in your area or next time you spot a guy with a detector and he appears to know what he is doing (LOL) approach him with the question good luck.

You don't show where your location is either that would help maybe someone on this wonderful forum would be willing to help you out.

The assumption is it MAY be up to three feet deep. It also MAY not be. You could get a low cost detector such as the Fisher F2 and look anyway. It might just be on top of the ground waiting for you. It is definitely worth the effort.
Tony
www.tcmetaldetectors.com

Vader, My detector would pick that up in all-metal depending on ground conditions, but im in TN, and as stated the detector that would sense it would cost about 750-1200$

DIg up the whole site and make a sifter then get a waterhose and prepare to get dirty.thats what id do.

What detector are you using Razer that would pick up a ring at 3 feet in all metal please ?

The assumption is it MAY be up to three feet deep. It also MAY not be. You could get a low cost detector such as the Fisher F2 and look anyway. It might just be on top of the ground waiting for you. It is definitely worth the effort.
Tony
www.tcmetaldetectors.com

Vader, My detector would pick that up in all-metal depending on ground conditions, but im in TN, and as stated the detector that would sense it would cost about 750-1200$

DIg up the whole site and make a sifter then get a waterhose and prepare to get dirty.thats what id do.

Couldn't agree more. And if ya had to take out a few shovel-fulls of soil from around that tree too, then so be it!

What detector are you using Razer that would pick up a ring at 3 feet in all metal please ?

Hey Tony,..not gonna get pulled into that one, nice shop by the way.
but my particular detector must be a freak, and far more sensitive than 95% of the standard,because even the manufacturer argued with me over this,
My detector did this,I watched it do it,and I repeated it 3 times in a clean environment, it performed the same each time, its a powerhouse, I had to turn down the sens while walking, because it would pick up the grommets in my shoes,1-2 ft behind the coil these are the size of a roman minim...whoop,whoop,whoop, LOL.
there are cons to having this power, Regards

Not going to get pulled into what? Telling us what detector you use ???? I'm sorry but I don't know of any detector on the market that can pull an object that small at that depth. I just wanted to know what model. I hear a lot of claims on the net and some are ...well.... pretty unbeleivable. If your detector can do this then you are right it is verrrrrrrrrrry unusual and the normal user would not be able to get this kind of performance. Also, why wouldn't the manufacturer set up all their detectors like yours ? HMMMMMMM !!!

Not going to get pulled into what? Telling us what detector you use ???? I'm sorry but I don't know of any detector on the market that can pull an object that small at that depth. I just wanted to know what model. I hear a lot of claims on the net and some are ...well.... pretty unbeleivable. If your detector can do this then you are right it is verrrrrrrrrrry unusual and the normal user would not be able to get this kind of performance. Also, why wouldn't the manufacturer set up all their detectors like yours ? HMMMMMMM !!!

Like I said,im not getting into it, Thanks for your reply

I lost my gold university class ring while planting a tree in my backyard last summer. I know the general area of the ring but it could be up to 3 ft. deep in the ground. I dont know anything about detecting and was hoping for so advice on what detector to try.

It could be laying 5 or more feet from where you were digging. Whatever detector you get, use a similar ring, as close as you can get anyway and see what it reads, use that to get an idea of the reading you are looking for. Don't try for that exact number but anything close you have to check.

Freak of a detector....

I heard that Garrett says a small percentage of their detectors will outperform the rest of a similar model. Like one in 25 or something. I think mine is one of them. That's all I can say for now as I want to do some more hunting before drawing any solid conclusions. I know an air test is not much of an indication but I get 12" + on a half dollar with 3/4 sensitivity.
Good luck on the ring. Have you taken any further steps in retrieving (sp) it ?
Marty

I heard that Garrett says a small percentage of their detectors will outperform the rest of a similar model. Like one in 25 or something. I think mine is one of them. That's all I can say for now as I want to do some more hunting before drawing any solid conclusions. I know an air test is not much of an indication but I get 12" + on a half dollar with 3/4 sensitivity.
Good luck on the ring. Have you taken any further steps in retrieving (sp) it ?
Marty

I don't think I'd call that a freak of a detector. Both my Fisher's will do 12 inches in the air on a half dollar in discriminate mode using the 8" coil with sensitivity at 2 out of 10 and properly ID it all day long. Now if you could do the same on a silver dime as set above you'd be within the freak of a detector range in my book...

Back
Top Bottom