• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Bizarre Whatzit Found in Lawn of 1840 House... Can Anybody Identify it?

PlasteredDragon

Elite Member
Dug at an 1840s home site in New England. About five and a quarter inch long, two and a half inch wide, apparently made of solid iron with a threaded brass fitting at the top that is not open on the other end.

On the side is some sort of swivel plate affixed to the cylinder with a single screw, revealing a small quarter inch wide opening in the side of the cylinder.

The other end of the cylinder is completely open, and looking down it you can see a post that extends all the way through the cylinder horizontally approximately where the swivel plate is attached.

It's quite heavy. Any ideas what this is?

29183726517_b195c92203_b.jpg

42312207010_d384068721_b.jpg

44072556492_5cc648fa7b_b.jpg

Sorry, I have to disagree on the muffler idea. I don't think a muffler would have a Brass bushing. Also the air vent on the side....?

Sorry, I have to disagree on the muffler idea. I don't think a muffler would have a Brass bushing. Also the air vent on the side....?

I don't think that's an air vent. With the swivel cover it looks like a good spot to squirt some oil.

Obviously not this one, but here is a weed torch

Attachments

• AEC6D0AA-07E8-4560-BF56-5E9BA1F3CD3B.jpg
    AEC6D0AA-07E8-4560-BF56-5E9BA1F3CD3B.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 477
Someone on ID ME suggested it was a foot valve for a shallow well. You know the kind where you push a lever up and down to pump out water? This would be the bit being pushed down into the well by the lever to force water up.

Does that sound plausible?

I still think lawn mower muffler, if you look close you can see the perforation holes that are all filled in with rust/dirt. it would be the inside part. the open end would face the engine with exhaust entering there, hit the closed end and be forced through the perforations into the "chamber" then out, quieting the exhaust.

Someone on ID ME suggested it was a foot valve for a shallow well. You know the kind where you push a lever up and down to pump out water? This would be the bit being pushed down into the well by the lever to force water up.

Does that sound plausible?

What's ID me? I have a ring I'm still searching for answers on so an added site would be great. Thanks.

What's ID me? I have a ring I'm still searching for answers on so an added site would be great. Thanks.

"ID ME" is a facebook group populated by history buffs. Detectorists often post their finds there when they need help figuring out what they are. I don't know if I am allowed to post links to FB here. Please PM me and I will send you a link. You have to be on FB, and you have to sign up to join the group, but it doesn't cost anything.

looks a lot like a torch to me as well. not positive though. we use propane torches similar to it (just with out the side intake/vent thing)all the time. But the new ones have slotted holes in the back to provide the air, and it built in similar style to most old venturi burner systems used with propane.

Back
Top Bottom