My first post on this forum.

Dan(NM)

Elite Member
I've been a lurker for quite some time, so, I figured it's time to join in. I've been hunting on and off since 1988, started with a Garrett GroundHog and have used almost every top of the line machine in between. I'm a dirt hunter, parks, yards, lots etc. I do alot of private yards these days as the public areas have dried up from heavy hunting since 1999.

I scored a permission a few days and finally got to it today. Although not very old, it turned into a very productive hunt. I was using an Equinox 600 and was digging everything from nickles up. First sweep yielded a wheaty, that's a great way to start a permission. Little did I know I would spend the next 5 hours digging almost almost nothing but coins. Almost every sweep netted a coin or something cool, fortunately, everything was shallow. After almost 2 hours of digging nothing but copper memorials and wheats, when I get a solid and repeatable 33 on the nox. I flip the dirt over and felt a metal object hit my digger :headbang: big silver!!! I love these coins, I thought I might find a silver Washington or maybe a Bengy, but, the Walker was a big surprise. That was only the beginning of a great silver day from a rather small yard. As you can see, lots of neat fun stuff came out of the yard, the 3 small Mexican coins were in the same hole. It appears to have been a homemade piece of jewelry because the solder joints look a bit rough. I also found some kind of trade token, but I cannot make out what it is because it's worn pretty bad.

I went over the place 3 times from different directions and will be going over it one more time with the Etrac just to see if the Nox and I missed anything. I also have another permission a couple of houses down from this one. I plan on trying to get into several others as well. Very unusual yard, I found a silver rosie on top of the ground last week when I was delivering the mail to this house, which is what prompted me to ask for permission. Several of the wheats were barely under the surface, the Walker was maybe 2" deep, nothing over 5" It appears that this yard has never had grass or has been worked since the house was built, barely a blade of grass, just dirt :icon_scratch:

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• clad.jpg
    clad.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 418
  • wheats.jpg
    wheats.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 386
  • good stuff.jpg
    good stuff.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 381
  • clean wheats.jpg
    clean wheats.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 401
  • clean good.jpg
    clean good.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 389
Welcome to the Forum Dan! Great introductory post! I bet you have a lot of hunting stories to share from the days gone by that we could all learn from! Killer work on that dirt yard!

Welcome to the Forum Dan! Great introductory post! I bet you have a lot of hunting stories to share from the days gone by that we could all learn from! Killer work on that dirt yard!

Thank MP....I started knocking on doors waaaay back 1989, shortly after I got my first machine. It didn't take long to figure out private yards was the way to go. :)

Thank MP....I started knocking on doors waaaay back 1989, shortly after I got my first machine. It didn't take long to figure out private yards was the way to go. :)

It sounds like you got a mail delivery route? If so, thats about the PERFECT fit for both working and Detecting! Everybody knows you and trusts you...

Or, They are all afraid to say 'No' to a hunt request for fear of you not delivering their mail! :laughing:

It sounds like you got a mail delivery route? If so, thats about the PERFECT fit for both working and Detecting! Everybody knows you and trusts you...

Or, They are all afraid to say 'No' to a hunt request for fear of you not delivering their mail! :laughing:

Hahaha...that's right it's either the fear factor or trust that sways em to say yes. I'm fortunate in this area, most people are very open to letting me hunt their yards. I usually scored 80% of the time.

Hello Dan... welcome from southern NJ.

Wow... digging for 30 years :digginahole: and lurking for 3 1/2 years :lookclose:

Lol...I've been on some of the other forums since 1997...took a few years break until 3 1/2 years ago, been hitting it hard and heavy again since 2014.

I'd say your just had a really good dream about hunting if you hadn't posted the pictures:)

But looks like a really good hunt not a dream....

That's the best first post I've ever seen on this site. Loved the write up what a cool yard with lots of goodies!

Back
Top Bottom