All of a sudden I am into watches...

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
Not the super expensive ones but the kind I can wear daily.
This time of the year is the worst for me, too hot, too dry, I get out once in awhile to hunt but I am waiting on fall and I get bored easily so I go on the interwebs and read.
Came across another forum, watchuseek.com, then a whole bunch of videos and reviews on YouTube of all kinds of brands and watches and all of a sudden my ordinary Timex's just didn't seem to be good enough...even though they do keep time perfectly well.
I have been wearing Timex watches since I was about 10 years, over 50 years now, plus a few others throughout the years but now I think I deserve a little nicer.

This is my latest Timex, I bought this on sale at Wal-Mart for only about $20 because it was discontinued.

user10659_pic78530_1533261116.jpg

I have a few other Times watches packed away somewhere, also...I love that Indiglo.

These are a couple I inherited from my wife's brother who passed away.
Found them while going through his stuff.
The Expedition is a nice watch, love the band on this one, the Swiss Army watch is beat up but it is supposed to have a nice swiss movement in it.

user10659_pic78573_1533933224.jpg

I bought this a few weeks ago from Costco so the warranty is lifetime through them.

user10659_pic78518_1533036007.jpg

I don't expect them to have this model forever but if anything ever goes wrong I will get some kind of satisfaction.
A Casio G Shock that I can use when I take my Nox into the water or for other rough service...it is supposed to be pretty tough.
5 alarms, a timer, day, date and it is solar powered and it is big but it still looks good on my wrist.
Not my first Casio, I do remember owning at least one in the 70's.
They have gone far beyond their simple digital beginnings and they still have a following...especially the G Shocks which have sold more than 100 million units over the years.

I just need 2 more, some kind of nice dress watch that I still haven't decided on yet and one other daily driver...both need to be automatics.
I just received this one this week, so far the nicest watch I have ever owned.
An Orient Mako USA ll...and I love it.

user10659_pic78557_1533762804.jpg

I don't know where this will end, maybe a Seiko in the future or something else, I do like the Orient brand and Bambino's seem to be well thought of. There are so many beautiful ones out there.
Vostok Amphibian watches are cheap automatics that many love because of their history so I probably need one of those too just because.
Then there are straps, Zulu's and Nato's in all kinds of colors and others.
I only have two wrists and I only wear one watch at a time but still, like detectors, there might not be no such thing as too many in the watch world.
We will see.

Last edited:
I love watches, when I win the lottery, I'll get a Bell & Ross, I've always liked them..

<°)))>{

Neat watches !!!!

Reminded me I should still have an old watch that has a red LED time display, I guess it was before they came out with the LCD display models, I'll have to check if it still works after I find wherever I stored it at.

(I still have an old Radio Shack calculator that uses a red LED display !)

Last edited:
Ive been wearing a Timex Expedition for years. Like their old saying goes" Takes a liking and keeps on ticking".

I wear a Timex indiglo blue dial every day. It's my beater.
Timex Indiglo WR30M Blue Dial.jpg

I'm currently waiting on a Seiko 7002 Diver w/Dragonshroud mods... Pepsi bezel, white chapter ring, moter of pearl dial, and fishbone hands.
Seiko 7002 Diver _1.jpg

This will be my second Seiko. I have an Omega too.

Over the years I have drown far too many Timex watches. So I changed brands and when it came time for a new battery the jeweler who did the job was not too careful and the first time in the water it got drown.

A few years back I found a Hugo Boss chronograph buried about a foot deep in the wet sand at the beach. Was surprised to see that it was working. I have had the battery changed twice and it still does not leak so I will just keep wearing it until it does.

I can appreciate a good mechanical watch also, it just amazes me the precision and steady hand required to make such a functional work of art.
I have a Hamilton day date chronograph that I like wearing when possible, solid watch and in the grand scheme of things not crazy expensive. It was a gift for redoing my first house.

I wear a Timex indiglo blue dial every day. It's my beater.
View attachment 421644

I'm currently waiting on a Seiko 7002 Diver w/Dragonshroud mods... Pepsi bezel, white chapter ring, moter of pearl dial, and fishbone hands.
View attachment 421645

This will be my second Seiko. I have an Omega too.

Man, that is one extra way cool looking diver!
You can mod a Mako but there are way more ways you can go with the Seikos.

I have two:
Sunday go to meeting watch is a Citizen Ecodrive which operates by daylight

Daily time keeper is the first generation Apple Watch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After all is said and done, You gotta appreciate mechanical old time Watches!...

I think watches represent the pinnacle of Mankinds metal working skills...I mean hey...how can a guy cut those little gears/screws and fab up/temper the springs let alone melt and fit a glass etc? Then get everything in balance to actually Keep Time?

I dare somebody to even try to make a watch from scratch, by hand...no power tools or cnc mills or anything..sheesh...a guy certainly has to appreciate and admire the advanced metal working skills if nothing else...let alone the mental skills of figuring everything out like gear ratios....

Its nearly unbelievable to look at the innards of an old handmade watch and figure out what kind of genious or idiot savant took on this task in the first place!

Hell, just try making the watch band from raw materials would be enough of a challenge!...even the little pins!

Regarding watches, I stand in true awe......

Over the years I have drown far too many Timex watches. So I changed brands and when it came time for a new battery the jeweler who did the job was not too careful and the first time in the water it got drown.

A few years back I found a Hugo Boss chronograph buried about a foot deep in the wet sand at the beach. Was surprised to see that it was working. I have had the battery changed twice and it still does not leak so I will just keep wearing it until it does.

For years I have thought the water resistance rating on watches have meant what they said...30 meters means I can go down to 30 meters and so on.
Now I have learned that these test ratings can have a totally different meaning.
Plenty of people report swimming with all kinds of watches with no issues but I think they are just lucky if the watch is cheap.
Change out one battery and don't replace the gasket or do anything wrong and that can kill any water resistance you had from the factory that worked.

These 30 and 50 meter watches, (for instance many Timex's), are actually barely water resistant, at the most you might be able to splash a little water on them or walk in the rain but for the most part swimming or dunking will eventually kill them...that surprised me.
Here are what those ratings really mean.

Water resistance rating
Water Resistant 3 atm or 30 m Suitable for everyday use. Splash/rain resistant. Not suitable for showering, bathing, swimming, snorkeling, water related work, fishing, and diving.

Water Resistant 5 atm or 50 m Suitable for everyday use. Splash/rain resistant. Not suitable for showering, bathing, swimming, snorkeling, water related work, fishing, and diving.

Water Resistant 10 atm or 100 m Suitable for recreational surfing, swimming, snorkeling, sailing and water sports. Not suitable for diving.

Water Resistant 20 atm or 200 m Suitable for professional marine activity, serious surface water sports and skin diving. Suitable for skin diving.

Diver's 100 m Minimum ISO standard (ISO 6425) for scuba diving at depths not suitable for saturation diving. Diver's 100 m and 150 m watches are generally old(er) watches.

Diver's 200 m or 300 m Suitable for scuba diving at depths not suitable for saturation diving. Typical ratings for contemporary diver's watches.

Diver's 300+ m for mixed-gas diving Suitable for saturation diving (helium enriched environment). Watches designed for mixed-gas diving will have the DIVER'S WATCH xxx M FOR MIXED-GAS DIVING additional marking to point this out.

I like the glow in the dark items in the clocks.

In the watch world they refer to the glowing hands and indices as lumes, it is a big deal regarding how bright the paint is and how long it lasts.
Most watch reviews have to have the obligatory "lume" shot.
Seiko has their Lumibrite, lots of interesting facts about that special paint.
https://www.keepthetime.com/blog/seiko-lumibrite/

My diver watch uses another paint mixture called Super Luminova.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super-LumiNova

No more radium but some watches, and other instruments, do use tritium gas tubes which is still radioactive but much safer.

For years I have thought the water resistance rating on watches have meant what they said...30 meters means I can go down to 30 meters and so on.
Now I have learned that these test ratings can have a totally different meaning.
Plenty of people report swimming with all kinds of watches with no issues but I think they are just lucky if the watch is cheap.
Change out one battery and don't replace the gasket or do anything wrong and that can kill any water resistance you had from the factory that worked.

These 30 and 50 meter watches, (for instance many Timex's), are actually barely water resistant, at the most you might be able to splash a little water on them or walk in the rain but for the most part swimming or dunking will eventually kill them...that surprised me.
Here are what those ratings really mean.

Water resistance rating
Water Resistant 3 atm or 30 m Suitable for everyday use. Splash/rain resistant. Not suitable for showering, bathing, swimming, snorkeling, water related work, fishing, and diving.

Water Resistant 5 atm or 50 m Suitable for everyday use. Splash/rain resistant. Not suitable for showering, bathing, swimming, snorkeling, water related work, fishing, and diving.

Water Resistant 10 atm or 100 m Suitable for recreational surfing, swimming, snorkeling, sailing and water sports. Not suitable for diving.

Water Resistant 20 atm or 200 m Suitable for professional marine activity, serious surface water sports and skin diving. Suitable for skin diving.

Diver's 100 m Minimum ISO standard (ISO 6425) for scuba diving at depths not suitable for saturation diving. Diver's 100 m and 150 m watches are generally old(er) watches.

Diver's 200 m or 300 m Suitable for scuba diving at depths not suitable for saturation diving. Typical ratings for contemporary diver's watches.

Diver's 300+ m for mixed-gas diving Suitable for saturation diving (helium enriched environment). Watches designed for mixed-gas diving will have the DIVER'S WATCH xxx M FOR MIXED-GAS DIVING additional marking to point this out.

So is anybody here in the mixed-gas diving watch club?

I have a Casio G-Shock that has served me well for over a decade now. Think I paid about $70 for it at Walmart. Charges with solar and time automatically updates via satalite every night. Always spot on to the second. I bought it since I'm rather abusive to my watches, I don't think it's came off my wrist since I put in on over 10 years ago. That's got to be at least 2-3 showers. It's beat up, scraped up but still works perfectly. It's no Rolex but if I owned one of them I'd be afraid to wear it.

I have a Casio G-Shock that has served me well for over a decade now. Think I paid about $70 for it at Walmart. Charges with solar and time automatically updates via satalite every night. Always spot on to the second. I bought it since I'm rather abusive to my watches, I don't think it's came off my wrist since I put in on over 10 years ago. That's got to be at least 2-3 showers. It's beat up, scraped up but still works perfectly. It's no Rolex but if I owned one of them I'd be afraid to wear it.

That's why I bought mine.
It does everything you describe except the satellite updating.

Haven’t worn a watch regularly since 2002. I do have a nice gold Fossil that I sometimes wear at dinner parties.

Back
Top Bottom