Cell phone/wifi question

Gauntlet

Forum Supporter
I "think" I have the answer, but want confirmation.

I got a new phone last week, Samsung J3 Luna, prepay (Total Wireless if it matters). I only pay for talk/text as I have a laptop with internet access, so don't need to pay for internet twice.

Anyway, I want to download a spam caller block app, but I guess I need internet access to do so. I can't seem to make a wifi connection on my phone to my Verizon JetPack.

From the best I could determine, cell companies shaft us by not allowing wifi use without paying for internet access.

So, since I don't pay for internet access on my cell, I can not access the internet via wifi. Correct?

FYI- replies with techno-babble will not be comprehended :p

I have several phones without even a sim card but I can still use my wifi on them just as if they were a small computer.

You just need to enter your wifi password on the wifi settings on your phone.

i have several phones without even a sim card but i can still use my wifi on them just as if they were a small computer.

You just need to enter your wifi password on the wifi settings on your phone.

x2

<°)))>{

just connect your wifi on your phone to the same router your lap top is on.

your phone does NOT need internet or even phone service at all to use it a basically a computer. Should even be able to make calls on it using something like Viber or Skype.

Call Verizon.

“So, since I don't pay for internet access on my cell, I can not access the internet via wifi. Correct?” Not necessarily. It may just be an issue in ‘settings’. Maybe guuugle it.

When I purchased ATT’s unlimited cellular service, we could not tether our laptops to it. Only apple devices qualified for unlimited data usage. I had to buy a couple ipads. Then we got the mifi hotspot. I spent a lot for nothing, but wow it was worth it to dump Microsoft.

Last edited:
OK, I did try again, and was able to connect. I haven't downloaded the app yet, but am going to give THAT a whirl in a bit. I'm still reveling in my 1st victory :cool:

Thanks for the help ;)

Update, to be sure you'll all sleep well tonight :laughing:

Got 'er done, downloaded the "Mr Number" app, should be good to go now. Plus, I learn't sump'in today.

IDK about the luna but samsungs typically have a built in block/reject list

It does have an option to block a number once it's called, but it's my understanding this app stops the call. This is from the MR Number site:

Mr. Number makes it easy to block unwanted calls as well as identify & stop spam, scam and fraud.

- Block calls from one person, area code or an entire country
- Stop telemarketers and debt collectors before they waste your time
- Intercept calls from private/unknown numbers and send to voicemail
- Report spam calls to warn other users
- Automatic caller lookup for recent calls in your phone's history so you'll know who to block

*** PCMag 100 Best Android Apps ***
*** New York Times: “Mr. Number is one of the most popular” ***
*** Appy Award - Best Communications App ***

Mr. Number is the most powerful call blocker on the market. Block calls from people, businesses, and hidden numbers. Browse comments from other users when you get a spam call. Automatically block potential fraud and suspected spam calls.

I don't have a call blocker. I just never answer numbers that I don't know. My phone is so old that most of the new apps won't work on it anyway.

It should be pretty easy to look in to your wifi options and select your network. I have mine set up so when i am home i am using this network, when i go to other friends houses with wifi it automatically connects. Because I am usually in one of those spots I never use much data.

It should be pretty easy to look in to your wifi options and select your network. I have mine set up so when i am home i am using this network, when i go to other friends houses with wifi it automatically connects. Because I am usually in one of those spots I never use much data.

For some reason it didn't show-up the 1st time I tried.

I never leave any settings "open", and I "force stop" and disable the majority of the apps, since I never use them either, to prevent them from running in the background and sucking-up battery life..... but I never use my phone for internet either.

I got the J3 Luna too, since January. It's a thin phone. My screen cracked from being dropped on the ice while ice fishing. It cracked again recently, but not sure what caused that. You might want to get something like an otter case for it.

I got the J3 Luna too, since January. It's a thin phone. My screen cracked from being dropped on the ice while ice fishing. It cracked again recently, but not sure what caused that. You might want to get something like an otter case for it.

I get one with every phone. My last phone (actually 2 phones ago) I dropped, landed screen down right onto a rock, which cracked the screen. :D

If I thought I could buy a reasonably priced flip phone that would pull a decent signal, I'm probably buy one. Well, as long as it wasn't like those old bulky Motorola phones :lol:

OK, thanks, I'll give it another go. I could never get to a point where I saw my hotspot come-up on my phone.

NO!!! :laughing: Have you never read any of my Verizon hate posts :D
I get it. You’re a Verizon customer, but its a Love/hate relationship.

My screen cracked from being dropped on the ice while ice fishing.

I've lost two phones right down the hole...

<°)))>{

Hey, maybe see if Scuba does ice water recovery :laughing::laughing::laughing: (but I don't think so :lol:)
Scuba_icefishinghole.jpg

I'm seriously considering of going Commando regarding these phones and plans and whatnot...Just getting tired of the whole damn deal!

There was a time not too long ago, in the Mid 80's, where a fellow could drive clear across this Country with no phone or GPS or anything! I know right? Hard to believe anybody survived but I've done it myself, and I'm not a brave man by any stretch! Yeah, off we would go with no modern navigational or communicational luxuries...no weather radar or debit cards or back up cameras, or AAA roadside assistance or Onstar either! Like Louis and Clark pretty much!

So yeah, considering going full technology retro Commando...After all, who needs a phone when everybody else has one? Who needs a fishfinder when every other boat has one? Nobody had in home delivery Catheters or C-pap machines either! We all managed to take a squirt and survive sleep apnea none the less...We all seemed to be able to cook a meal and make popcorn without a microwave even!..Try it! :laughing:

Back
Top Bottom