IL Newbie / Property Pins

Very Metal

Hi all,
I got into detecting because I just got a property and need to do a bunch of trenching. I'm getting a survey done, but still want to look around for the property pins and, who knows, whatever else is down there.

Picked up a Garrett 300 and have been wandering the yard a bit. I thought I'd find the pins right away but there is bunch of bleeping stuff out there. It seems daunting, like I can't go a few steps without something bleeping off. So I quit playing around, ordered a pinpoint/trowel kit. Watched some youtube videos and they were helpful.

I'm busy so I told myself I would find one thing for fun, then put the detector away until the kit shows up. I have a piece of yard that's a dozen paces square and somewhat hidden so I can do my slow newbie exploring without neighbors going "do you even detect?". I set the detector to "anything" and used half sensitivity so ideally I'd only dig for easily found things. My yard seems to have healthy dirt, lots of bugs and worms.

THE BIG FIND FOR THE DAY: Some odd roots, a lot of ants, a piece of foil. For some reason there is bricks or masonry buried back there, some orange "rock". And, wait for it, a Pull Tab! Pardon me for not posting a picture, you're missing nothing, heh.

That's the story so far, will be trying to wand around a bit before surveyors and trenchers get going. Any advice on wanding a new property and tracking down pins would be appreciated. Yours,
Metal.

Welcome from Northern Illinois.

The masonry/brick that's buried there....is it in a pattern, like straight lines that could be an old foundation?

Thanks for writing, everyone. Busy group.

Welcome from Northern Illinois.

The masonry/brick that's buried there....is it in a pattern, like straight lines that could be an old foundation?

Hooray Illinois... I am just north of Columbia.
The masonry, it seemed broken when I found it, really doubt I broke it with my cheap Lowe's hand trowel. I know there's more to it down there, I only pulled up a couple chunks. I was getting killed by mosquitoes. Maybe I'll wash the stuff and it'll make sense.

The last house I was in, I dug an herb garden and found pieces of dishes/crockery in the middle of the yard. I've never been into archaeology (more into paleontology) except it seems for when it's in my backyard.

Welcome from South Carolina !!!!

When we bought our home it came with 1 1/2 acres part of which goes back into the woods on 3 sides but mostly in the back.

What helped is a copy of the plat which showed the corners of my property lines and how many feet between the corners, that really helped since our land is not an even rectangle, but more of a trapezoid shape.

Fortunately our "pins" are steel poles that extend about 2 to 3 feet out of the ground (we are in a semi-rural area) so once I found the easier 2 poles out front and measured the number of feet to the back property line I had a rough idea where to look even though it still took a while being a trapezoid shape, the other pole in the back was easier to find after I found the first back pole. With trees and heavy underbrush out back those 2 to 3 foot poles out back were not as easy to find as they would be in a mowed grassy area :lol:

:mder:_____:mder: _____:mder:_____:mder:

Back
Top Bottom