Buckle Dating

RF1

Found this little buckle at an old home site that shows up on an 1860 map. I didn't really think the old house was much older than that. But this buckle "looks" older than others that I've found. Anyone have any clues to the age?

Attachments

• buckle1.jpg
    buckle1.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 1,078
  • buckle2.jpg
    buckle2.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 939
It does look older and is possibly a Colonial Knee buckle since the pin attaches to the short sides.
We need to check the designs to see what period they may have been used in.

Just because a house was only built in 1860 does not mean things the family had were all new. Many brought older family items with them.

I believe I can provide some information regarding dating your buckle

I believe I can provide some information regarding dating your buckle.
I have been collecting these things for more than 30 years ever since I dug one up in Virginia. They are a very cool and personal form of the erly history of the folks that built our country.

Your buckle is a known form in England, knee and shoebuckles of this shape and design with various decorative patterns were used from the 1720s-1790s. You buckle is similar in form to the example in my picture, but is a knee buckle rather than a shoe buckle. I can say this for tow features of your buckle. if you look on the back you will see two ears, they will have rust from what is left of the iron pin that was in a drilled though thru both ears, the pin held the inner workings of the buckle called the chape. a shoe buckle will have the pin going across the width or narrow part of the buckle. The knee buckle will have the pin going the length of the buckle, and was worn in a vertical position to fasten the knee strap on the leg of the knee pants. Also the size, the small size of your buckle tells me that it is a knee buckle as most buckles of this time period were much larger.

I attache a picture showing the similar form from a reference boo and adde a picture of a knee buckle from my collections for your viewing pleasure.

Regards,

Massmaps/Bob

Attachments

• Knee buckle 1720-1790.jpg
    Knee buckle 1720-1790.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 998
  • Taken with Canon Powershot 4000IS 18thc Knee Buckle.jpg
    Taken with Canon Powershot 4000IS 18thc Knee Buckle.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 1,120
Nice ID Bob and cool find. Awesome to have a buckle expert on here now. We just need to get Turtlefoot back for headstamps, hope he is alright.

Bob,
Have not been on the forum for a few weeks. Thank you very much for the information on my buckle! The one you posted from the book looks about identical! Great to know so much history, and the age. Gives me hope that there may be more stuff from that era on the sit. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom