• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Hello members! Please help

Anewtoi

I’m Phillip and I live in the Atlanta area of Georgia. I’m new here and I found you guys while researching a solution to my problem.

Here goes!
I live in a townhome in which I believe a neighbor on either side of me has developed a water leak. The problem is that not all units have an accessible curb shut off valve and non have an individual water meter to isolate the leak.

I’m wondering if it would be possible to locate/ metal detect the brass shutoff valve that is probably 2 feet deep surrounded by buried utilities such as telco and power. Which would probably be copper but at different depths.

Secondly is there anyone in my area willing to help with said venture either for free or a nominal fee or does anyone know of a company that does this? Calling 811 only locates the lines not the shut off valve.

Thanks and please help because I think it’s only a matter of time before I start accruing fees from my demanding HOA because the water is showing up on my property but I have verified by bypassing my line that it’s not me leaking

Phillip. First, welcome from another Georgia resident. Second, what area of Atlanta? Lastly, if there is a leak then your property manager, HOA or equivalent should investigate. If you are in my area, though, I'd be willing to look around with you.

BCD

I'm not sure how big the shut off valve is you're looking for, but I think my detector (a ctx 3030) would be able to pick it up at 2ft if the valve is 5/6in in diameter.

I'm not sure how big the shut off valve is you're looking for, but I think my detector (a ctx 3030) would be able to pick it up at 2ft if the valve is 5/6in in diameter.

Yes. I think a higher end detector should be able to locate the valve. Too bad Sandgroper lives in another hemisphere.

Sounds odd. A shut-off valve shouldn't be that deep underground. It may be just below the surface. I would also think your HOA would be responsible for protecting you from this, instead of trying to make you somehow liable for it. You must report it to them, of course.
Hope someone local can help. Good luck.

Thanks for the quick responses. I’m in Norcross, really close to I85 and jimmy carter Blvd. my hoa is cheesy and have managed to have contracts drawn up to relieve themselves of basically ALL responsibility of everything other than common areas, streets, and street lights.
I found my valve and it was around 2 feet deep. But we dug a trench in one neighboring yard and at at least 30” we have not seen found his shut off. The grassed area where it would [hopefully and probably] be located would be about 10x15. Pretty sure it would be a 3” brass valve similar to the one pictured.

Attachments

• B2588849-B674-41D1-99C1-F301A3938BE4.jpg
    B2588849-B674-41D1-99C1-F301A3938BE4.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 327
This is just a idea to consider, but you would think some department would have a map record of where to find those things in an emergency, maybe if you call your local utility company and ask, if they can't help maybe they can point you in the right direction -

https://www.gwinnettcounty.com/web/gwinnett/departments/publicutilities/contactphonenumbers

Emergency 24/7
If you experience any of the following problems, please call our Dispatch Department at 678.376.7000

Interruption of Water Service
Loss of Pressure
Sewer Overflows or Back Ups
Storm Drainage Problems
Stormwater Erosion
Water Line Leaks or Breaks
Running or Leaking Fire Hydrants
Concern Regarding Water Taste, Color, or Odor

www.norcrossga.net/index.aspx?NID=251

Thanks GKL. I tried calling my county water dept. the nice young lady politely let me explain the situation with HOA and everything. Then when I finished she had one question. “Do you pay them (HOA) your water bill or us (county). When I said the HOA, she informed me that they would have no record as it’s considered private property. Only info is where the hoa’s main ties to county water.

So yeah, no luck on that avenue either.
I’ve spent hours on hours thinking of possible solutions. The last resort is that maybe the neighbors valves can be metal detected. Short of that, it’s call out a leak locator at 350 per hour- 2 hr minimum of which I just cannot afford that when I’m certain it’s not my leak, just a leak from a line that is coming out on my property.

Thanks GKL. I tried calling my county water dept. the nice young lady politely let me explain the situation with HOA and everything. Then when I finished she had one question. “Do you pay them (HOA) your water bill or us (county). When I said the HOA, she informed me that they would have no record as it’s considered private property. Only info is where the hoa’s main ties to county water.

So yeah, no luck on that avenue either.
I’ve spent hours on hours thinking of possible solutions. The last resort is that maybe the neighbors valves can be metal detected. Short of that, it’s call out a leak locator at 350 per hour- 2 hr minimum of which I just cannot afford that when I’m certain it’s not my leak, just a leak from a line that is coming out on my property.

Maybe the HOA has records/maps of where the valves are located even if they don't want to do the work themselves maybe they can at least have info they can share to tell you where to look.

Also, if no forum members are close enough, maybe a local metal detector store will rent you a used detector, here is one I just found online that might be close enough to ask -

http://www.detectorusa.com/

Another idea is to get a low cost detector, you can get a "Bounty Hunter Tracker IV" for about $66 using the coupon you can print out from the "Hobby Lobby" web site and take to your local "Hobby Lobby", here is a link to a past post with a link and info -

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showpost.php?p=2890340&postcount=4

Now I can't say for sure that will find it, but even if it didn't you're not out much money, and I would think something as large as a valve should be found with most any detector.

Thanks for the info. I’ve reached out to them and hopefully they will get back to me regarding renting or maybe even a customer of theirs.
The HOA does have a final plat diagram but it’s not as specific as I require to find a curb shut off valve. I’m also looking into the harbor freight metal detector. Some people seem to pretty high on it

Thanks for the info. I’ve reached out to them and hopefully they will get back to me regarding renting or maybe even a customer of theirs.
The HOA does have a final plat diagram but it’s not as specific as I require to find a curb shut off valve. I’m also looking into the harbor freight metal detector. Some people seem to pretty high on it

I'm not sure how the Harbor Freight one compares to the Bounty Hunter Tracker IV from Hobby Lobby, but you should have a Hobby Lobby not too far away, just be sure to print out the 40% off coupon if you decide to go there.

A local metal detector shop should know someone experienced locally.

Sounds like you're on the ball there. Make sure to follow through, dot your i's and cross your t's. Document, photograph, etc. This sounds like something that could go to court.

Advertise on craig's list lost and found that you lost a water valve.

A lot of detectorists like the challenge.

Rent an excavater and start digging holes right where the HOA can see it. That should get response.

The Harbor Freight detector Will not locate a cut off valve anywhere close to two feet. A few inches Max.

Back
Top Bottom