• Forum server maintanace tonight.
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Finders-Keepers Rule vs. Finders-Keepers Reality

BGF

I just read that anything that has been in Florida waters for 50 years or more is considered state property and is illegal to take. Does this also pertain to items that are 50 years or older and are found between the seaward toe of the dune and the ordinary water line?

Tell them all the coins you have found fell out of your pockets yesterday....plus you lost alot more also, and need to find them to.:roll:

Well, if I were detecting the beach and found a gold doubloon or two, you can bet I would not advertise it and it certainly would go home with me. That is a fact. RickO

Well, if I were detecting the beach and found a gold doubloon or two, you can bet I would not advertise it and it certainly would go home with me. That is a fact. RickO

My luck would be a P.O. watching me.....and asking questions......and me not able to find my badge.....:lol:

Dusty

i really don't wanna see you get into any trouble so any coins over 50 yrs. old you find just send to me and i'll turn it in to the proper authorities:D

Realistically, I think they are concerned about historic artifacts and excavated shipwreck finds in large quantities. In other words, they don't want people pulling the contents of an old pirate ship or military vessel off the bottom of the ocean and taking it home. I wouldn't think beach hunting detectorists have anything to worry about.

Well if I find the contents of an old pirate ship, I can assure you, I WILL pull it off the beach and take it home... period!!!!!! RickO

I know many fossil hunters down there, and they all have to have permits to fossil hunt. Many dive and find unbelievable stuff. IF they find arrowheads or other native american artifacts they are suppose to leave where they found them..... WOULD YOU?? Id at least take it to a museum or something. But it doesnt make sense to let things just stay in the ground, or streams and rot away...

You don't need to take ANYTHING older than 50 years from that beach. It is against the law! I have been watching the beach detectorists for 42 years and have been arresting them with a vigor. I do NOT allow people to take away artifacts that are 50+ years old. If you try it you WILL be arrested personally by ME.

In section 1192 of code 91-2 it is illegal to take objects from the beach that were lost and will never be recovered otherwise. I'll see you in court!

First rule of detecting, when you find good stuff,
K-Y-M-S !

Keep Your Mouth Shut.

Otherwise, bad things will surely happen.

All these law makers don't seem to think of the big picture. What the sport brings to local communities goes without saying, unearthing items that otherwise would be lost forever, solving crimes is huge with forensics. Stifling and scaring people away from the sport is the wrong thing to do, I have honestly never seen a video of a detectorist who doesn't a) completely make it look like they have never been on the property and b) not mention about taking the trash out with you. How can you fault such a peaceful hobby, it's ridiculous in my opinion. A little bit of compensation to the hobbyist is the least that can happen, gees.

You don't need to take ANYTHING older than 50 years from that beach. It is against the law! I have been watching the beach detectorists for 42 years and have been arresting them with a vigor. I do NOT allow people to take away artifacts that are 50+ years old. If you try it you WILL be arrested personally by ME.

In section 1192 of code 91-2 it is illegal to take objects from the beach that were lost and will never be recovered otherwise. I'll see you in court!

Whatever Dude!
Finding our history and bringing it out for all to see should be more important than leaving it buried either in the ground, dunes, dry sand, wet sand, water, wherever. There should be no laws aginst it in fact the gov. should be paying us a finders fee!:lol:

Back
Top Bottom